PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a fan of "Dark Spidey"...

sealemon
2007-07-31, 12:38 PM
But seeing Kingpen get pimp slapped in Amazing Spider-Man # 542 was actually pretty cool. Fatso's had it coming for a loooong time.

That is all. :smallcool:

Jerthanis
2007-07-31, 02:29 PM
Yeah, me too. I've never been a fan of the black suit on Spider-Man, since it sort of just sits on the page absorbing light. The Red-and-blues are one of the most classic and enduring comicbook images, and plain black lycra is just plain black lycra.

If you mean his current mopey attitude, he's always kind of had it to one degree or another. Spider-Man is a guilt-ridden mass of complex on top of complex, from his need to live up to an unreasonable ideal to his ever compounding feeling of helplessness at his failures, to his isolation from the rest of the world because of his need to be Spider-Man. Some would even say he's the type of person who's only satisfied when he's miserable, and brings most of his bad situations on himself. Sometimes he has a good day, the rest of the time he's joking to get by.

sealemon
2007-07-31, 06:14 PM
Actually, I am totally cool with Parker's problems and his angst. It's what makes Spider-Man...Spider-Man. It was one of the defining and original aspects of his character--he was an everyman in a comic universe of Beautiful People/multi millionares, Royalty and other inaccessable creations from the Distinguished Competition. No, what I have a problem with right now is him acting like Dark Batman...all rage and vengence. I like my Spidey old school...complaining about his life, yes, but also drivng the bad guys nuts with his cheesy puns and wisecracks.

"Dark" works for Batman and Punisher. Spidey needs to lighten up. He does intense well for onyl short periods; it's gotten kind of old now.

And I actually LIKE his dark costume...very ninja-insect looking. But of course his original costume is the best.

Bluelantern
2007-07-31, 08:07 PM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p95/zeromus000/spiderman542.jpg

pwning time!

sealemon
2007-07-31, 08:21 PM
This issue almost made his previous nonsensical unmasking seem worthwhile.

king korath
2007-07-31, 09:01 PM
This is a good issue just cause Spidey slaps that mass of fat into unconsciousness.

sealemon
2007-07-31, 10:39 PM
Some would even say he's the type of person who's only satisfied when he's miserable, and brings most of his bad situations on himself. Sometimes he has a good day, the rest of the time he's joking to get by.

Pssst. He simply has 2-3 dice of Unluck.

Heee! Herosystem FTW!

This is a good issue just cause Spidey slaps that mass of fat into unconsciousness.

Yup...Pimp slapping, 101. And how cool was Kingpen's expression in the last panel? Hah!

Yuki Akuma
2007-08-01, 05:23 AM
The black costume is Petey's "stealth" costume, right? I mean, most of the time, when he's not being emo.

So... why is the pattern on his chest stark white?

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-01, 08:00 AM
I really enjoyed Spidey's stand-off with the Kingpin and also his warning speech. The removal of the costume was very powerful and really drove him the point. I feel that it was very well done and given Peter's current anger level that it was believable. However, if Peter goes through with his warning to kill Kingpin, I will be disappointed. Spidey's refusal to kill is one of the key things that defines Spider-man and helps make him a great hero in my opinion.

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-01, 09:53 AM
The black costume is Petey's "stealth" costume, right? I mean, most of the time, when he's not being emo.

So... why is the pattern on his chest stark white?

So whoever's teaming up with him can tell Spidey apart from the rest of the ninjas they're fighting. :smallsmile:

Jerthanis
2007-08-01, 10:20 AM
Hey, take a closer look at those two goons in the background on the left side of the page. They look so angry at first, but then when the Spider starts stripping down, they're surprised, but then when they get over their shock they're both noticeably grinning. Is it possible they like what they see?

Compare with the ones on the right who never quite drop their quizzical expressions, just sort of shift them around. A more likely response to seeing Spider-man declaring he's going to start killing some folk is to look frightened out of your mind. That guy can bench trucks and dodge bullets, and his ability to do so is probably well known in the underworld by now.

selfcritical
2007-08-01, 10:21 AM
But seeing Kingpen get pimp slapped in Amazing Spider-Man # 542 was actually pretty cool. Fatso's had it coming for a loooong time.

That is all. :smallcool:

So was it just me, or was that scene reaaaaally similar to the beatdown daredevil gave him in the "king of new york" storyline?