PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Help creating "Overwhelming Passion" spell

Sir_Chivalry
2017-04-29, 03:22 PM
One of my players is intrigued by an ability a Dragon Magazine template provides, and I said I'd look into turning it into a spell

The ability in question:

Overwhelming Passion (Su): A fire-souled creature is alive with passion and inspiration, but not all creatures can withstand such intensity. With a successful melee attack against an opponent with an Intelligence score, the fire-souled creature can transfer a bit of its own energy into the target, threatening to overwhelm the target's emotional capacity. Invoking this power is a free action, and it requires a successful melee attack or melee touch attack to deliver. If the attack hits, the target must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the fire-souled creature's racial Hit Dice + the fire-souled creature's Charisma modifier) or lose one special attack with a save DC based on Charisma (fire-souled creature's choice, chosen from abilities it has seen the target use). If the target casts spells as a bard or sorcerer or has several spell-like abilities, overwhelming passion blocks access to a single spell. The creature loses access to this special attack for a number of rounds equal to the fire-souled creature's Charisma bonus (minimum of round). The fire-souled creature may make use overwhelming passion once a day per two HD it possesses, with a minimum of once per day. Overwhelming passion is a mind-affecting ability.

So my thinking is:

Overwhelming Passion
Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Make a ranged touch attack. If the attack hits, the target must make a Will save or lose one special attack with a save DC based on Charisma (caster's choice, chosen from abilities it has seen the target use). If the target casts spells as a bard or sorcerer or has several spell-like abilities, overwhelming passion blocks access to a single spell. The creature loses access to this special attack for a number of rounds equal to the caster's casting stat bonus (minimum of one round).

Is 3rd level a reasonable level? Though the ability is melee range I figured close range is a decent tradeoff for the spell level

Thank you for any help you can render!

Darth Ultron
2017-04-30, 07:56 PM
Looks mostly, ok.

Might want to make it a Swift Action to cast.

Add a note to make the spell blocked either random or chosen by the caster. And note how long it lasts.

Target: There is really no reason to make the target ''humanoid'', and there are plenty of non-humanoid charisma based creatures and spell casters too....

This might also make a nice ''Bard only'' spell...

jqavins
2017-05-01, 03:05 PM
Overwhelming Passion
Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One humanoid creature
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

If the attack hits, the target must make a Will save or lose one special attack with a save DC based on Charisma (caster's choice, chosen from abilities it has seen the target use). If the target casts spells as a bard or sorcerer or has several spell-like abilities, overwhelming passion blocks access to a single spell. The creature loses access to this special attack for a number of rounds equal to the caster's casting stat (minimum of one round).
Woops.

Did you mean the actual stat, or the associated modifier; the original ability used the modifier. The stat itself seems like rather a lot.

I had a thought for another option for the caster. Rather than taking away an ability or spell, the caster can choose to have the spell negate the victim's Cha modifier for the duration. This would not completely take anything away, but would affect Cha based skill rolls, saves, spell DCs, and anything else that the Cha mod enters into. This is most useful when fighting a Cha-based caster, as all of his/her spells are easier to save against.

Sir_Chivalry
2017-05-01, 08:32 PM
Looks mostly, ok.

Might want to make it a Swift Action to cast.

Add a note to make the spell blocked either random or chosen by the caster. And note how long it lasts.

Target: There is really no reason to make the target ''humanoid'', and there are plenty of non-humanoid charisma based creatures and spell casters too....

This might also make a nice ''Bard only'' spell...

Agreed on the humanoid part, it's an artifact of using Charm Person as the basic spell template (I just picked one I had bookmarked)

And yes, a Swift Action upon a successful attack would mirror the original ability I suppose, but then would I make it a melee touch attack instead?

Woops.

Did you mean the actual stat, or the associated modifier; the original ability used the modifier. The stat itself seems like rather a lot.

I had a thought for another option for the caster. Rather than taking away an ability or spell, the caster can choose to have the spell negate the victim's Cha modifier for the duration. This would not completely take anything away, but would affect Cha based skill rolls, saves, spell DCs, and anything else that the Cha mod enters into. This is most useful when fighting a Cha-based caster, as all of his/her spells are easier to save against.

Would that make the spell more useful without necessarily going too overly powerful?

jqavins
2017-05-01, 10:58 PM
Would that make the spell more useful without necessarily going too overly powerful?Well, I thought so when I suggested it, but I guess I wouldn't be sure without playtesting.