PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Fate of Characters Slain by a Forgewraith (Sharn)

ApologyFestival
2017-04-29, 03:46 PM
The group that I DM for is about to face down a forgewraith (Sharn: City of Towers, p. 179). Unfortunately, I am expecting a few deaths, and maybe even a total party wipe. I've thought about whether a good DM would adjust the encounter so that it isn't a bloodbath, or whether they would leave the encounter as designed and let the dice fall where they may. And I still haven't decided! I really don't want any of my players to die!

That's an aside, though. This thread is for the forgewraith's create spawn ability. I'm not entirely clear on what happens to characters slain by a forgewraith, per the original designer's intention. The text for the ability reads:

Create Spawn (Su): Any humanoid slain by a forgewraith becomes a forgewraith in 1d4 rounds. Its body dissolves into ash, while its spirit is torn free from its corpse and transformed. Spawn are under the command of the forgewraith that created them and remain enslaved until its death. They do not possess any of the abilities they had in life.
In your opinion, should characters slain by a forgewraith become forgewraiths, as the monster description? Most notably, forgewraiths are always chaotic evil, they hate the living, and they want to see all living creatures consumed in a fiery inferno. Or, should I take a more lenient reading and say that characters retain their personalities and memories but are dominated, and on the destruction of the forgewraith monster all of the slain player characters regain their sanity, but remain in the bodies of forgewraiths?

What say you, DMs?

Gildedragon
2017-04-29, 03:56 PM
As the text box... Though your alternative is pretty neat.
Best, if some survive, to go get life-restoring magic asap

ksbsnowowl
2017-04-30, 02:38 AM
This is no different than a Wight or a Shadow. If they are slain by the Forgewraith, they become a forgewraith. They might retain some memories of their former lives, but they probably hate everyone they knew with a passion, jealous of their continued lives, and want to especially burn THOSE people to death.