PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Looking For Template

Thurbane
2017-04-29, 07:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a template that can be applied to a tiny magical beast that would give it flight without giving it wings.

Also, preferably without making it Undead, or making it mindless.

Cheers - T

Necroticplague
2017-04-29, 07:57 PM
Wendigo does this.

thoroughlyS
2017-04-29, 08:10 PM
After a quick scan, I've found 3 separate templates which give a fly speed without wings. However they all do have some noticeable physical change, which you might be trying to avoid:

Air Elemental creature (Manual of the Planes p.191) - turns into a cloud, 100 ft. (perfect)
Vivacious creature (Planar Handbook p.131) - turns incorporeal, equal to base land (perfect)
Wendigo (Fiend Folio p.186) - turns feral and loses feet, 120 ft. (perfect)

ATHATH
2017-04-29, 08:13 PM
Scroll down to the "Templates for Magical Beasts" and the "Templates for 'Any'" sections: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=12219.0

J-H
2017-04-29, 09:54 PM
You are the dm. Why not just give it Fly as a SLA?

Tiri
2017-04-29, 10:19 PM

Some would consider it unfair for the DM to simply fiat in abilities for NPCs that would be inaccessible by RAW.

That being said, the Arcane Adept Unique Ability from the DMG II does allow a single 3rd-level spell as an SLA 1/day. If you want Fly as an SLA, it's possible to use that.

J-H
2017-04-29, 11:15 PM
So just change it to a racial variant of the original species.

Whatever. The mm is full of abilities that are not directly player available. Shocker lizard, magmin, aranea, etc etc.

tedcahill2
2017-04-29, 11:22 PM
Some would consider it unfair for the DM to simply fiat in abilities for NPCs that would be inaccessible by RAW.

D&D isn't D&D if the DM can't ad hoc rules to tell the story the way he wants it to be. I mean, the DM could just say that the NPC was cleaning out his attic and found a genie in a lamp and got one wish and he chose to be able to fly.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-29, 11:25 PM
Air Element Creature, Manual of the Planes page 191.

Type changes to Elemental (Air), it gains Fly 100 (perfect), Dex +6, CR is the same as the base creature if 3 HD or less.

Tiri
2017-04-30, 12:33 AM
Whatever. The mm is full of abilities that are not directly player available. Shocker lizard, magmin, aranea, etc etc.

I never said anything about being player-available or not. Although the abilities you state are player available due to such things as Polymorph and similar player-available abilities.

D&D isn't D&D if the DM can't ad hoc rules to tell the story the way he wants it to be. I mean, the DM could just say that the NPC was cleaning out his attic and found a genie in a lamp and got one wish and he chose to be able to fly.

On the other hand, one could make the argument that D&D isn't D&D if one doesn't follow the rules of D&D at least most of the time, and that includes the DM. Since Thurbane appears to be looking for a rules-legal way to accomplish his goal, I would guess that he supports this interpretation of what D&D is.

Thurbane
2017-04-30, 02:27 AM
I was quite annoyed that Half-air Elemental doesn't give flight; but Element Creature may work.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I generally prefer to explore RAW options before I start home-brewing or using DM fiat.

ShurikVch
2017-04-30, 03:15 AM
Sacred Watcher (Book of Exalted Deeds) - it's Deathless, not Undead, thus - technically - fit the request

If you OK with Dragon stuff:
Smoke Element Creature (#347) got fly 90' (perfect)
Fetch (#313) got fly 30' (perfect) - it's just a half-Undead...

Inevitability
2017-04-30, 03:25 AM
Monster of Legend with the spellcasting option, followed by a casting of Substitute Domain to get access to the Travel domain grants it a few castings of Fly each day.