PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down Armor

ndragonsbane
2007-07-31, 01:28 PM
Frequently, I find my players carrying with them an extra suit of armor (generally a chain shirt) so that they may sleep in some sort of light armor, because of this I have decided to implement a breaking down system so that someone in, say, fullplate could simply take off most of their armor and still have either padding or chain to sleep in. This system would also work for being interrupted while putting on armor (has happened to me a few times as a player but I've never done it as a DM).

I'm toying with two different systems and I wanted to see if there were any opinions or refinements you could offer:

System 1: Armor breaks down into other armor.

In this system, a man sleeping in full-plate could conceivably take off all but his shirt of mail and be wearing a chain shirt without having to purchase and tote around a second suit of armor.

This was my initial idea, but it has one major drawback that I have had some trouble with, namely I have to figure out if each set of armor breaks down and what they would become. This works for some armors (full-plate, breastplate, half-plate) but doesn't for others (splint mail and banded mail) because all I have to go by is the description for most of these armors. I'm not looking to do heavy web research just to justify giving banded mail users leather armor instead of padded.

Another drawback is that some armors may only offer padded which is really not enough of a bonus...my players will simply buy a chainshirt and all this word would be for nothing.

System II: Systematic reduction of AC.

Now, I just thought of this not too long ago. What if I, instead of trying to match a light armor type to each medium and heavy armor, simply reduce AC, ACP, weight, and Spell Failure by some set amount or %? This would probably be easier on everyone involved, especially if people decided to use a non-standard armor but may be hard to balance.

I was thinking of going with a set -3 to AC, +1 or 2 to Max Dex -2 ACP, 1/2 weight and ASF%.

My biggest problem with this is the "how long does it take to put in on/take it off?" Frankly, this system would simply be a superior hasty don.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'd only be allowing this for medium and heavy armor, and I would remove the any benefits or enchancements to the armor (+1 armor, masterwork, special materials, armor spikes/razors would not have an effect).

Storm Bringer
2007-07-31, 01:36 PM
Well, the underlayer of full plate is almost all padded, with very little chain (which is used over areas without a plate on top). To be honest, thier doing something that was never done in history, and only makes sense in a game world (Since the wieght of the spare armour is just a number on a sheet to them, the fact it's a extra load being carried for a somewhat remote off-chance isn't an issue, whereas it would be IRL).

but, onto the question: if you went ahead with this idea, i'd go for the 2nd option. The first leaves far too many open ends (what do armours from, say, the arms and equipment guide break down to? etc etc).

ndragonsbane
2007-07-31, 01:52 PM
Breaking down armors from other sources is a big problem with the first option...especially when you get into things like Mountain Plate, or Chitonous Armor (or whatever it's called) that don't have any real life counterparts (or even come close for that matter).

Some other thoughts I've had is to make this a feature of the armor proficiency feat so that someone wouldn't buy full-plate and break it down to make it a breastplate that's light armor (as it basically would be if I go with the second option) if they couldn't wear the armor in the first place. Maybe I should decrease the AC by an additional -2 for Heavy armors (so Full-plate would only be a +4 and thus still crappier than a chain shirt).

Triaxx
2007-07-31, 06:06 PM
An armor level system. Any armor of less than chain is single layer. So studded leather, and plain leather are just that. Chain, splint, and banded all have a padded undershirt. Heavy armors, such as full, and field plate, have a padded layer, and a leather undershirt. I also have breastplates, which function in addition to chainmail, adding a bonus vs. piercing weapons.

Breastplate
A breastplate is a piece of armor used to counteract piercing weapons for warriors in chainmail armor, who don't wish the full weight of full plate, or field plate armor. Damage from piercing weapons is reduced by -2, including arrows, but also sling bullets.

Note:Backplates may, or may not be implicit depending on whether facing rules are employed. If so, Backplate follows same description.

Deesix
2007-07-31, 06:51 PM
I actually like this idea for its potential. It's sad that D&D doesn't include such things like "losing your helmet" into armor bonus and such. I'd love to see a relatively simple but more complete system for multi-part armors. The system I have has potential for that, considering the crafting rules, but I'm still working out the specifics myself.

The main issue I see it tediousness and complexity. Some people will use it to extreme advantage, while others will completely ignore it in favor of simplicity. It needs to feel kind of intuitive for it to actually be incorporated into a game.

Matthew
2007-08-01, 09:00 PM
Hah, well then, look no further than the 2e Complete Fighter's Handbook and Player's Option: Combat and Tactics, which did precisely that.

Anyway, yeah, this is an interesting problem, but I think that it's worth bearing in mind that 'real world' warriors did exactly what your Player Characters are doing, or at least the ones who could afford to do so. They didn't tend to sleep in them, but I don't think it's really a big deal either way.

Kurald Galain
2007-08-02, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I have a suggestion. Give them all a cumulative charisma penalty with respect to social actions, because of the smell.

ndragonsbane
2007-08-03, 11:23 AM
Okay, this is the system I've decided on:

-2 AC, +1 Max Dex, +1 ACP

Each time this is applied it reduces the armors category by one step for movement and sleeping purposes only.

Thus, heavy armors require this to be applied twice unless you have the endurance feat.

You lose any special attacks (armor spikes/razors) associated with the armor.

This reduction is a function of the Armor Prof. feat, thus to break down heavy armor you must have heavy armor prof. Light Armor cannot be broken down.

I think this is simple enough to remember and not too good to be overly exploitable, though some of the exotic armors will still probably pose problems.

Triaxx
2007-08-03, 05:30 PM
No light armor? Which means wizards and sorcerors can't break it down. Boo!

Kidding. I like it. How long does it take to go up, and down in AC?

ndragonsbane
2007-08-03, 06:03 PM
I was thinking of simply having it replace don hastily for those prof with the armor (so if you were for some reason wearing armor you weren't prof with you would use the don hastily rules).