PDA

View Full Version : DMing for first-time players

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-04-29, 10:54 PM
I've noticed some things I have to do when I DM first-time players that I would never do with experienced players:

Subtly suggesting things players could do. Like when the party gets to a city and just stand around looking at each other, asking if they party is walking to the local tavern

Reminding players of situational powers they have forgotten about. Like if the party is about to be killed by a horde of zombies and the cleric never tried to use turn undead

Keeping the combat environment tactically simple. I'll throw in some objects for cover or add opportunities to corner or bottleneck the enemy if someone is into that but I'm never have a fight in anti-gravity or by a lava pit or a rooftop

Thoughts?

CaptainSarathai
2017-04-30, 12:05 AM
That's just good DMing, really. It's your job to teach a party of new players.
The only time I would change this is if there is a veteran player among them. Then I would ask that the veteran guide them, remind them of their missed abilities and their options, etc.
Tactically simple fights without odd terrain effects are good for the first sessions until the group seems to have combat understood; then go ahead and start adding the wierd stuff.

MrFahrenheit
2017-04-30, 01:46 AM
I've noticed some things I have to do when I DM first-time players that I would never do with experienced players:

Subtly suggesting things players could do. Like when the party gets to a city and just stand around looking at each other, asking if they party is walking to the local tavern

Reminding players of situational powers they have forgotten about. Like if the party is about to be killed by a horde of zombies and the cleric never tried to use turn undead

Keeping the combat environment tactically simple. I'll throw in some objects for cover or add opportunities to corner or bottleneck the enemy if someone is into that but I'm never have a fight in anti-gravity or by a lava pit or a rooftop

Thoughts?

As your campaign goes on, you may find yourself reminding them of pieces of the story, too.

As for dangerous terrain...you can introduce it slowly, IMO. Falling isn't anywhere near as dangerous as it once was, so maybe the roof of a 20 foot tall house may be in order soon. They fall, 2d6, so what? The bigger danger is in getting separated from the party at that point. Same thing with dangerous objects (though I'd go for something a tad less dangerous than lava for new players). Something as simple as a bonfire that the goblins were just dancing around right before a surprise attack could make a good choice - can't miss it, so the players know it's there.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-05-01, 04:25 PM
There are a couple ways to make it more fun for a few sessions.

-Help them see the and maybe even debate the effects of their choices. Something like, help this orphan girl out but using magic in town might just get you thrown in jail or continue on your quest which does have a time limit itself.

-slide in hints about the rules when you can. Instead of asking a player what he does when initiative rolls about say, "U gonna move Bob? Then "bonus action? ok, now your action"

-Every so often mention some combat choices they may not have thought of. "So Sally, you want to grapple this Kobold, shoot an arrow or???"

-Fill in some details on the world around them their players would know in real life but newbs don't know.

Our Rogue seems to have a complicated time figuring out how to maximize his damage. Maybe I just don't realize what I miss lol. So throw them a hint every so often but not often enough to belittle them.

The_Jette
2017-05-01, 04:49 PM
What I like to do with new players is to sit them down individually before a game, preferably during character creation, and discuss the ways that their character can interact with the world. Then, during the first few games, give them little reminders of what their character was built around, like grappling, or being a tank. For casters, I like to have a really detailed page with their spells that make it almost fool proof for throwing them out. That way, after a few games, the players have managed to wrap their head around the character concept and start using their abilities in new and interesting ways.
Also, with new players it's really helpful to start them off at a slow pace for gaining experience. If they level up too fast they gain a lot of abilities, that they don't know how to use, really fast. It can be overwhelming to new players.

LordCdrMilitant
2017-05-01, 05:50 PM
While not 5e, I've been running Dark Heresy for a group whom, save one other, are experiencing their first two RPG campaigns now [said one other is running a 5e game we play in too] and have never heard of 40k before.

I've quoted from Regimental Standard, and helpfully provided such advice as "Tau are herbivores, and are easily spooked by loud noises," and "Genestealers are slow and clumsy, cast out from the Hive Fleets for their lack of ability."

I make combat not too trying, and generally "forget" that the enemy also can take dodge and parry actions. It doesn't stop the party from burning fate to not get splattered across the wall by bolter fire, but it does make shooting and stabbing less frustrating for them. I also try to have images of what each unit is, or the actual figures, so they can see what everything is. I also try to "lead by example" and provide in character dialogue for allies as much as I can. When they get stuck, one of their allies will give them a lead.

DH has a roll-under D100 system for everything, so calling for checks is fairly easy, and upgrading characters generally consists of consulting the table and buying skill advances or characteristic advances.

Each 6-hour session generally consists of approximately 1 fight, taking 2-3 hours, and the rest of the time as back and forth dialogue, sitting around pondering information, and looking for clues in non-fighty places. Knowing the world seems, to me, more important to knowing what the rules and skills and talents and characteristics say they can and can't do.