PDA

View Full Version : Can a contingent spell (via the feat Craft Contingent Spell) be an item familiar?

idesofmarch
2017-04-30, 01:30 AM
Didn't get a response in the RAW questions thread, so I'm asking here.

Idea: Craft Contingent Spell is an feat. Contingent spells are noted under the section "New Types of Items" in [I]Complete Arcane. Hence they are items. Pick a spell to be made contingent, of high enough level to cost over 2,000 gp (say polymorph any object), with the trigger condition, "This polymorph any object will polymorph me into myself when I say the words, 'Abracadabra.'" It's usable at any time, and its effect is permanent (with a duration factor of +9). Hence my contingent polymorph any object is a valid subject for the Item Familiar feat and can be made into an item familiar.

Question: Is this RAW legal?

Crake
2017-04-30, 01:34 AM
I don't believe so, because a contingent spell isn't actually an item. Note that they do not function like magic items, they function more as permanencied spells; if they are dispelled, they are simply gone forever, wheras an item will return to being magical in 1d4 rounds.

If you're happy with the idea that an errant dispel magic may completely screw you over by essentially forever destroying all investments you've made into the item familiar... go for it i guess (assuming you can get your DM to agree to it). It'd be like making an item familiar out of a potion, or a feather token.