PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Good Ranged Spell Attack Spells for Cleric

GPS
2017-04-30, 03:11 PM
So here's my problem: I play a 9th level light domain cleric who relies heavily on AoE's. This was all well and good at low levels, but as time progressed and the party started encountering more and more enemies with magic resistance, I started seeing the flaw in this strategy. My current build is a blaster through and through, basically cannot melee, so that's not really an option.

My question is if there are any cleric spells with better scaling or higher level than scorching ray that use spell attack's instead of saves?

Zanthy1
2017-04-30, 03:57 PM
Guiding Bolt (1st level)
Inflict Wounds (1st level)
Spiritual Weapon (2nd level)

As well as scorching ray. Inflict also has higher level versions that can target multiple targets. You could also take the magic initiate feat to pick up some other spells like fire bolt, frost ray, shocking grasp, burning hands, shillagh, eldritch blast, etc.

Pex
2017-04-30, 05:51 PM
What percentage of enemies with spell resistance out of all enemies are you facing? If it's more than 50% tell the DM to knock it off and stop trying to win D&D over all PC spellcasters.

GPS
2017-04-30, 06:18 PM
What percentage of enemies with spell resistance out of all enemies are you facing? If it's more than 50% tell the DM to knock it off and stop trying to win D&D over all PC spellcasters.
Nothing that bad, it's a lower number, I just want to be effective in more scenarios, as currently I only have Scorching ray on me for spell attacks that aren't AoE. From the suggestions, inflict wounds looks like it scales pretty well.

Kane0
2017-04-30, 07:36 PM
Not a lot for a Cleric to choose from beyond Sacred Flame, Guiding Bolt, Spiritual Weapon and Inflict wounds when it comes to single target spells.

Galadhrim
2017-04-30, 08:09 PM
Nothing that bad, it's a lower number, I just want to be effective in more scenarios, as currently I only have Scorching ray on me for spell attacks that aren't AoE. From the suggestions, inflict wounds looks like it scales pretty well.

It will depend what you are fighting. Luckily you can prepare whichever you want each day. Radiant damage from guiding bolt is very nice against a lot of creatures depending on your campaign. It was the one my cleric used most due to lots of battles against undead and demons.

Percy_Ikana
2017-04-30, 08:24 PM
From my experience, Guiding Bolt is awesome, 4d6 damage base, give the next person to attack the target advantage, and scales okay. In addition, few things resist radiant damage. Inflict Wounds can be swingy, and most undead resist it, but almost nothing else does, however, it is a melee range spell. Both are great 1st lv spells, and for second level, there is spiritual weapon, a great spell because of its bonus action casting time, lack of concentration, and force damage (I have only seen one thing resist force damage, a Helmed Horror).
Scorching Ray has been disappointing in my experience. The several attack rolls normally lead to several misses for me, and way to many things resist fire. But, its still a good spell, especially if it hits all it's shots.

McNinja
2017-04-30, 08:33 PM
The good thing is that inflict wounds, guiding bolt, and scorching ray are all fantastic spells, so relying on them and upscaling them when you need to is never a bad thing.