PDA

View Full Version : Small size campaign (gnomes, halflings, etc.).

Particle_Man
2017-04-30, 06:42 PM
I was wondering what, if anything, would be different if I ran a campaign with the rule that all pcs must choose a character that is size small (so gnome, halfling, etc.).

One change is that mounted combat might become more common, because medium size mounts can get to places where large size mounts just can't.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-04-30, 06:45 PM
Well it would take longer for them to get anywhere, but aside from that I don't think much would change.

EDIT; You'll probably see less melee characters, most small races get STR penalties.

Elkad
2017-04-30, 07:21 PM
There are a fair number of small races that move 30'
And there are a few without str penalties, thought I can't think of any that have a bonus.
Luckily the Master Race List has a better memory than me.

LA0
Bakemono. +2str, +2con, -8int, -4cha
Yeah, not really usable.

LA1
Mephling, Earth – small humanoid (extraplanar) (PH) Burrow 10 ft, +2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Cha, Breath Weapon, Druid

LA2
Dolgrim - small aberration (ECS) 20 ft move, +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -4 Cha, DR 5/byeshk, Dual Consciousness, (?)
4 arms, dual-brain. Waving 2 greatswords at no penalty. Or 3-handing one for bonus damage and then making a no-penalty offhand attack as well.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-30, 07:34 PM
EDIT; You'll probably see less melee characters, most small races get STR penalties.

This, and people suggesting an all-stealth party. Which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-04-30, 10:07 PM
And there are a few without str penalties, thought I can't think of any that have a bonus.
Luckily the Master Race List has a better memory than me.

LA0
Bakemono. +2str, +2con, -8int, -4cha
Yeah, not really usable.

LA1
Mephling, Earth – small humanoid (extraplanar) (PH) Burrow 10 ft, +2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Cha, Breath Weapon, Druid

LA2
Dolgrim - small aberration (ECS) 20 ft move, +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -4 Cha, DR 5/byeshk, Dual Consciousness, (?)
4 arms, dual-brain. Waving 2 greatswords at no penalty. Or 3-handing one for bonus damage and then making a no-penalty offhand attack as well.

I wouldn't expect most people to play as those races though.

flappeercraft
2017-04-30, 10:31 PM
Well one thing is for certain, you would see an increase in shadowcraft mages

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-01, 12:09 AM

With some lil (DW)Kobold cheese, you can get both:

- Kobold base speed is 30'.

- Desert/Earth Kobold get only -2 Str penalty

- Ravening Dragon Psychosis (Dragon #313 I think it was): gives +4Str -4Wis

= +2Str

Watch out for inc. flying books depending on the DM/Table ;)

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-01, 03:47 AM
Another interesting possibility is flight. Small creatures need a bit less cheese than medium ones to pull that off, depending on which source materials you allow. With one team member who's almost invisible, one who can barely be hit, one riding a wolf and one that's flying this could be a lot of fun.

But it's the story possibilities that might make the idea worth it. It's a whole new world when looking up from a frog perspective. Especially kobolds and goblins tend to get shoved into a specific corner in a normal game. Now you can go see what their world is like.

weckar
2017-05-01, 03:50 AM
Many Mephlings, probably. Outside the option of Strongheart halflings, those become a really viable option when you eliminate everything medium or larger.

Uncle Pine
2017-05-01, 03:53 AM
This seemed relevant:
http://i.imgur.com/8g7EUtp.jpg

Tainted_Scholar
2017-05-01, 03:07 PM
But it's the story possibilities that might make the idea worth it. It's a whole new world when looking up from a frog perspective. Especially kobolds and goblins tend to get shoved into a specific corner in a normal game. Now you can go see what their world is like.

Are there any good goblin variants? Because normal goblins are terrible.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-01, 03:54 PM

Monkey Goblins (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/standard-races-1-10-rp/monkey-goblin-10-rp/) from Pathfinder seems kind of cool.

Probably not the best optimization wise, but I can see them work well in a high dex class, given their +4 dex, rogue or monk or ranged/finesse fighter...

Luccan
2017-05-02, 01:32 AM

I don't know about "good" necessarily, but there are the environmental variants from UA, which ensure not all your goblins are the same. Desert is kind of lame with one extra skill bonus and dark swithcing to low light vision, but Arctic switches your Dex bonus to Con, Jungle gives you a climb speed, and Air has the most balance stat bonus/loss and also doesn't need to breathe. There's also Blues. According to the SRD, they are a psionic Goblin subrace

Psyren
2017-05-02, 02:25 AM
This seemed relevant:
http://i.imgur.com/8g7EUtp.jpg

These can be a lot of fun in Pathfinder. "Everybody Is Monks" for instance can get you a sumo wrestler, a marksman, a loremaster, a blademaster, a healer, a mage, and a sensei to lead them all.

Vizzerdrix
2017-05-02, 02:47 AM

I was always fond of the vrill. They are from one of the drow books.