PDA

View Full Version : Looking for names for multiclass combos.

Rfkannen
2017-04-30, 07:46 PM
So I was listening to the adventure zone, and in that instead of saying one character is a fighter 10/rogue 2 they call him a level 12 mercenary. I thought that was pretty cool and made sense in universe, so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for combos other than fighter/rogue?

ps. Alternatives to mercenary for rogue/fighter would be cool as well. And I don't mean just mashing names together like sorcadin or bardbarian, looking for things someone might call themselves.

noob
2017-04-30, 07:48 PM
Wizard/ rogue / red mage could be called rouge(due to the colour)?

JAL_1138
2017-04-30, 09:49 PM
In-universe, I'd say people would probably go more by job (fighters, rogues, barbarians, etc. who work for hire might call themselves mercenaries or sellswords, for example), or by which class they have the most training in. A single-class Fighter, a single-class Rogue (who probably never call themselves "rogues" in-universe), and a multiclass Fighter/Rogue who all work as mercenaries probably just call themselves "mercenaries." And a Fighter 2/Wizard 18 probably thinks of herself as "a wizard" more than "a fighter/wizard multiclass;" she just trained a bit for physical combat and in how to wear armor at some point. You wouldn't necessarily automatically make the jump to saying "no, I'm actually a [insert word for Fighter/Wizard like "gish" or "battlemage" here], not a Wizard" unless you had a specific cultural reason for it (like the Githyanki with their "gish," or if "battlemage" was a specific job title in some army or was what people tend to call mages in military service).

Edit:
For instance, my Fighter 1/ Valor Bard 9 just thinks of himself as a bard, rather than a Fighter/Bard, when he thinks of his training at all—he's not a very musical bard, although he's quite capable of playing music well; most of his spellcasting is done with a component pouch instead of with an instrument. For the most part, he thinks of himself as a "professional troubleshooter—by which I mean if there's trouble, I shoot it. *loads crossbow*" (which is something he came up with because he thought it sounded good as an introduction) as well as an agent of the Harpers (since that's his actual job).

Anonymouswizard
2017-05-01, 04:55 AM
I personally agree that people are much more likely to go by their job or potentially title than anything related to their class. Multiclass characters will use whatever is a decent job title from their culture.

For example, a wizard might not think of themselves as a wizard, they see themselves as a scholar (potentially an adventure scholar, in the 'adventurer archaeologist' mould, but a scholar nevertheless), a fighter might be a sellsword, soldier, mercenary, or other title (mercenary is good for any class really). Rogues similarly have a variety of names they can use, from the respectable to the less so.

Anybody with cleric levels likely sees themselves as a priest, unless cleric abilities are specifically something just handed out to those the gods think are worthy, clerical training or no. Druids likely do use the term druid to refer to themselves in some circumstances, in others they'll pass themselves off as nature priests.

There's also the fact that some classes will be viewed as identical to some multiclasses. Especially when Lawful Good a cleric/fighter multiclass might just be viewed as a Paladin, a wizard/rogue or sorcerer/rogue as interchangeable with a bard, a druid/rogue as a ranger, or so on.

Miko, of course, has something to say about classes determining how people are referred to. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html)

solidork
2017-05-01, 08:31 AM
My bard/paladin always introduced himself as a knight-courtier.

Millstone85
2017-05-01, 08:44 AM
There's also the fact that some classes will be viewed as identical to some multiclasses. Especially when Lawful Good a cleric/fighter multiclass might just be viewed as a Paladin, a wizard/rogue or sorcerer/rogue as interchangeable with a bard, a druid/rogue as a ranger, or so on.

Miko, of course, has something to say about classes determining how people are referred to. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html)So did Elan, actually. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) I am referring to the bottom panels.

Anonymouswizard
2017-05-01, 02:30 PM
So did Elan, actually. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) I am referring to the bottom panels.

Of course, I just thought that Miko's 'I don't need a class called samurai to be a samurai' more relevant to the discussion (the joke in 50 is that Bale has just tried to recreate the bard class without taking a single level in bard).

Then again, I'm pretty ambivalent towards this discussion at the end of the day, I prefer skill based/point buy systems over class ones, and they don't have the problem of 'what do you call an X/Y'. While it's still common to effectively build to a class I've seen other ways to do it and even occasionally used point but systems to subvert expectations (one of the fantasy characters I want to play is a 'rogue' who's basically just a fighter with social skills).

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-01, 02:43 PM
I personally agree that people are much more likely to go by their job or potentially title than anything related to their class. Multiclass characters will use whatever is a decent job title from their culture.
This, pretty much. Unless it's an Order of the Stick like universe where class and level are literal, in-setting things that people just know.

Karl Aegis
2017-05-01, 02:45 PM
Huh, I always thought Barballad made more sense than Bardbarian as a Barbarian Bard. At least until you became a War Howler.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-01, 03:37 PM
I agree with the stuff that has been said, but I'm still going to give the original assignment a shot:

Bard-Ranger: Gentleman adventurer
Wizard-Aristocrat: Sorcerer supreme
Barbarian-Wizard: Autobully
Fighter-Rogue: Gangster
Cavalier-Tempest cleric: Rider on the storm

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2017-05-01, 06:16 PM
Come to think of it, I am in a party with a barbarian/druid, referred to as a "bearbarian". My monk/cleric in that game goes by her job description of "medic", but I guess it's got the m- and the -ic in it.

Storm_Of_Snow
2017-05-02, 08:41 AM
I've always thought a potential origin for Fighter/Rogues could be as military scouts and/or the intelligence services, depending on where their skillset is more centred, so scout, pathfinder, agent and similar names could be applicable.

Anxe
2017-05-02, 10:27 AM
My group calls the fighter/rogue combo a Highwayman. I agree with JAL though. Most people are going to describe themselves based off their profession. Highwayman describes the skills of a fighter/rogue, but that person isn't necessarily robbing people when they journey between towns. Swordsman or mercenary is probably what they see themselves as. Maybe even Errant Knight depending on their societal position.