PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Remember A Spell For Regaining Lower Level Spell Slots

JNAProductions
2017-04-30, 07:47 PM
See title. I'm pretty sure there was a spell that let you recover two lower level spell slots. Specifically, I'm looking for a spell that would let me recover higher level slots once Heightened.

Gildedragon
2017-04-30, 07:52 PM
Mnemonic Enhancer mayhap?

JNAProductions
2017-04-30, 07:55 PM
No, that's not it. Heightening that spell does jack all.

Edit: Thanks for trying, though.

noob
2017-04-30, 07:58 PM
Twinned sanctum mage lucubration can allow to regain all your spells of fifth level and lower without spending spells.

AOKost
2017-05-01, 01:19 AM
Magic Meister if I remember correctly allows you to retain your spell-slot if you succeed on a spellcraft check...

Morphic tide
2017-05-01, 07:48 AM
So, to clarify what you are looking for, you are specifically looking for something with text along the lines of "recover two spell slots of one level lower than this spell," right? Because that's the wording needed to recover spell slots scaling with Heighten Spell.

And a nasty bit of cheese is to use metamagic reducers to get higher level spell slots than what you used to cast the spell. Just Easy Metamagic gives you infinite slots of every level that isn't below the base spell.

JNAProductions
2017-05-01, 07:49 AM
So, to clarify what you are looking for, you are specifically looking for something with text along the lines of "recover two spell slots of one level lower than this spell," right? Because that's the wording needed to recover spell slots scaling with Heighten Spell.

And a nasty bit of cheese is to use metamagic reducers to get higher level spell slots than what you used to cast the spell. Just Easy Metamagic gives you infinite slots of every level that isn't below the base spell.

Correct. It might not exist, but I coulda sworn I saw it at some point.

Mike Miller
2017-05-01, 12:31 PM
Magic Meister if I remember correctly allows you to retain your spell-slot if you succeed on a spellcraft check...

Miser of Magic? Something like that. Not exactly what you want but you can regain some spell levels per cast.

Jormengand
2017-05-01, 01:23 PM
Miser of Magic? Something like that. Not exactly what you want but you can regain some spell levels per cast.

Miser with Magic is a feat from Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide which allows you to regain a spell slot if you can pass a spellcraft check DC 10+2*spell level. Failure by 5 or more indicates that you don't cast the spell at all and also lose the slot; also you can only recover a number of levels of spells equal to your primary casting ability score modifier.

noob
2017-05-01, 02:28 PM
So get an infinity of intelligence or wisdom(since you are probably going to be T1) then use that feat to cast spells indefinitely without having to bother to prepare spells again after getting infinity in your casting stat.

Zanos
2017-05-01, 02:28 PM
Miser with Magic is a feat from Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide which allows you to regain a spell slot if you can pass a spellcraft check DC 10+2*spell level. Failure by 5 or more indicates that you don't cast the spell at all and also lose the slot; also you can only recover a number of levels of spells equal to your primary casting ability score modifier.
Hilariously this is never said to be per day, so it's either per usage of the feat and an effectively meaningless limitation, or ever.

Maybe you're thinking of Rary's Arcane Conversion? If you heighten a spell for free, you can convert that into a real high level spell by casting arcane conversion. Spell engine could also do that.

Morphic tide
2017-05-01, 03:24 PM
Hilariously this is never said to be per day, so it's either per usage of the feat and an effectively meaningless limitation, or ever.

Actually, it's far from sure that you can have a modifier of your highest spell level. The score you need to cast a spell is 10+spell level, while modifiers are ability score/2-10. So casting 9th level spells requires a modifier of +4 or +5, and getting a +9 needs a score of 28, which is far from a sure thing. 18 base and level 20 get you to 25, and that's extremely lucky and leaves you another 3 to attain. Fairly easy, but most characters will be rocking 15 or 16 for their basic score, so you actually need 5 or 6. Able to be gotten with one item, but you can't be sure of getting it and UMD cheese to use the +10 Int horseshoes is liable to tick off the DM.

flappeercraft
2017-05-01, 03:33 PM
Morphic, 18 +5 is only 23. Im guessing you missed including a race with Int bonus. Actually it's pretty easy to increase Int, 18 +2 Racial +3 Venerable +6 enhancement +5 Inherent +5 Level gets you to 39 in a core only game and even arguing that Wish is expensive you can just planar bind Efreets which gets you that for free without trouble. If you use PAO and non core you can PAO into a Black ethergaunt which on its own already gets you over 28, then add all the previous (except racial, still venerable by aging yourself magically) and you can get 31 +3 Venerable +6 enhancement +5 inherent +5 level for 50 which you can still improve with something like Possession for an additional +4 Profane, add +4 Deformity from Warp touch for a 58 Int score which is +24 and that is all off the top of my head. You can get way higher scores and even without Pun Pun infinite loops you can get 100+ Int

J-H
2017-05-01, 03:43 PM
2nd edition (Baldur's Gate 2) had Wondrous Recall. I think it was Druid, and I think it was a 6th-level that would let you recover any 2 5th-level or lower spell slots that you had expended.

Never used it.

Shugenjas have a class ability to cast a lower level spell by expending a higher level slot.