PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Oracle curse and revelation interaction

Arc_knight25
2017-04-30, 07:59 PM
The Oracle curse is Powerless Prophecy, You are forewarned of danger but can’t act to prevent it. You gain uncanny dodge, as the rogue class feature. However, you can’t take any actions in a surprise round, including free actions, except for flash of insight (see Revelations below). In the absence of a surprise round, you are staggered for the entire first round of combat.

The revelation is Temporal Celerity (Su): Whenever you roll for initiative, you can roll twice and take either result. At 7th level, you can always act in the surprise round, but if you fail to notice the ambush, you act last, regardless of your initiative result (you act in the normal order in following rounds). At 11th level, you can roll for initiative three times and take any one of the results.

My question is how would you rule the interaction of these two abilities?

Geddy2112
2017-04-30, 08:41 PM
I would rule they cancel out. Another ruling I could see is that you can detect and act in the surprise round, but that you always act last in said surprise round.

Pex
2017-04-30, 10:30 PM
The Oracle curse is Powerless Prophecy, You are forewarned of danger but can’t act to prevent it. You gain uncanny dodge, as the rogue class feature. However, you can’t take any actions in a surprise round, including free actions, except for flash of insight (see Revelations below). In the absence of a surprise round, you are staggered for the entire first round of combat.

The revelation is Temporal Celerity (Su): Whenever you roll for initiative, you can roll twice and take either result. At 7th level, you can always act in the surprise round, but if you fail to notice the ambush, you act last, regardless of your initiative result (you act in the normal order in following rounds). At 11th level, you can roll for initiative three times and take any one of the results.

My question is how would you rule the interaction of these two abilities?

Where is Power Prophecy from? Wherever it is it was created after Temporal Celerity. I would say Oracles of that Curse just couldn't take that Revelation. The Flames Mystery specifically says Lame Oracles can't take the revelation that increases speed. It was possible to write in the rule since both were published in the same book. Since Powerless Prophecy is the new comer, it's unfair to blame Temporal Celerity for a conflict the game designers had nothing to do with. Powerless Prophecy oracles have to just deal with it and not be allowed to take that revelation.

Bucky
2017-04-30, 11:03 PM
Temporal Celerity means there's always a surprise round and you get a turn during it. Then Powerless Prophecy restricts what you can actually do during that surprise round.

It does keep Powerless Prophecy from ever staggering you.