PDA

View Full Version : The Horrific Tomb IC

LastCenturion
2017-04-30, 07:59 PM
The Legend of the Tomb of Horrors

Somewhere under a lost and lonely hill of grim and foreboding aspect lies a labyrinthine crypt filled with terrible traps and not a few strong and ferocious monsters to slay the unwary. Rich treasures both precious and magical fill the crypt, but in addition to the aforementioned guardians, some say a demilich still wards his final haunt. (Be warned that tales told have it that this being possesses powers that make him nearly undefeatable!) Accounts relate that adventurers have an extremely low probability of ever finding the chamber where the demilich Acererak lingers, for the passages and rooms of the tomb are fraught with terrible traps, poison gases, and magical protections. Furthermore, the demilich has hidden his lair so well, that even those who avoid the pitfalls likely will not locate their true goal. So only large and well-prepared parties of the bravest and strongest should even consider the attempt, and if they do locate the tomb, they must be prepared to fail. Any expedition must be composed of characters of high level and varied class. They must have magical protections and weapons, and they should equip themselves with every sort of device possible to ensure their survival...

Thus goes the legend that has brought you to this lonely and dark hill, deep in the Crawling Swamp in the Shadow Marches. As you approach your destination, your well-paid guide points to the clearing, yells "THEREITISPLEASEDONTHURTMEGOODBYE", and sprints back towards the relative safety of his village. You exchange looks and shrug philosophically, then turn and enter the clearing.

A low, flat-topped hill, about 200 yards wide and 300 yards long, protrudes from the earth. Ugly weeds, thorns, and briars grow upon the steep sides and bald top of the 60-foot-high mound. Black rocks crown the hilltop.

JNAProductions
2017-04-30, 08:09 PM
Sarissa looks around, seeing if there is anything of note on the hill. She's careful to not step... Well, anywhere, really, since she's hovering about two feet off the ground. Here we are. Let's hope we make it back here alive-or, well, animate, she adds with a slight chuckle. It stops quickly, though, as she frowns. This place doesn't feel very safe.

J-H
2017-04-30, 08:39 PM
Luke

The human looks after the departing guide with disbelief. "Wow, he seemed scared. He'll never get beyond being a village guide... we all know that fortune favors the bold!"

JNAProductions
2017-04-30, 09:26 PM
There's a pattern to these rocks... Can any of you figure it out? It's eluding me.

Darius
2017-05-01, 06:10 PM
Dirge Darksong (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1182226) looks around. "I got a bad feeling about this." He looks at his companions, "Since we are working together, I should let you know that I have a direct connection to the elemental planes. I shall summon them to help us - please let my elementals lead the way." The wizardly looking fellow begins to speak in a language that sounds like rocks rubbing together. Soon enough, a small earth elemental appears and then it submerges itself into the hillside on some unknown quest.

ooc: Dirge will continuously summon earth elementals to locate the entrance and will use it as a scout.

LastCenturion
2017-05-01, 06:26 PM
Seeing nothing, the group approaches the hill a little closer. The north side of the hill is fronted by a 20-foot-high crumbling cliff of sand and gravel. A low stone ledge overhangs this eroded area, and shrubs and bushes obscure it from observation at a distance.

Darius
2017-05-01, 07:47 PM
When the elemental returns, Dirge says, "The elemental found a magically warded series of tunnels beneath the hill. We must be in the right place - unfortunately I am not sure which tunnel to take."

Dirge will point out the tunnel locations as he was told. He will incorporate another earth elemental to help clear the way to the tunnels.

JNAProductions
2017-05-01, 08:47 PM
I can help clear a path... But it might sound a bit, erm, loud. And disconcerting.

Shatter, shatter, shatter my way into the tunnel!

J-H
2017-05-01, 10:12 PM
Luke

"I don't mind loud, but be careful." Luke watches vigilantly for any sign of danger.

Search mod is +21, taking 20 as suggested

JNAProductions
2017-05-01, 11:06 PM
Right... Cover your ears, Sarissa says, before her mouth contorts itself into an odd and disconcerting shape as she utters a word of Dark Speech.

Casting Shatter on the ground, to start tunneling out a hole. I can do this all day, so it doesn't matter if it takes a while.

Darius
2017-05-02, 06:16 AM
Dirge says, "And I thought I had a dark song." He smiles and unfurls his wings and takes to the air to provide overwatch in the event the noise attracts visitors.

J-H
2017-05-02, 08:36 AM
Luke

After studying the cliff for several minutes with his brow furrowed, Luke points to a spot near the west edge of the cliff, about 30' from the edge and 5' up. "There's a small crevice there, and I think it goes inside. We could probably widen it and get inside the hill.

I wonder how the people before us got in? Who is repairing the entry points and hiding them?"

JNAProductions
2017-05-02, 09:56 AM
Sarissa shuts her mouth, rearranging her jawbone after dislocating it for the Dark Speech.

That'll be much easier. Although I'll want to be sure we can make it back out.

Darius
2017-05-02, 08:42 PM
Dirge swoops down and lands near his companions. "Um...there's something else, too." He swallows hard and then says, "When I flew up to watch for any trouble that may have been attracted to the noise we were creating, I looked down at the hill and it resembled a great human skull..." Dirge starts sketching in the dirt, using the rocks as he continues. "..with the piles of rock appearing as eye holes, nose hole, and the jagged teeth of a grinning death's head. I put our entrance right about here." Dirge points with the stick he was using to the place he calculates.

"Now, I am not overly brave, but I am not foolish, either. I think we need to proceed with caution, for I have a feeling that this Acererak has laid many a trap of magical, mundane, or monster to foil those who enter."

LastCenturion
2017-05-02, 08:51 PM
As the adventurers inspect the gravel cliff, a thunderstorm appears on the horizon. Rain has yet to begin falling, but thunder already sound throughout the swamp.

JNAProductions
2017-05-03, 10:56 AM
Yes. Caution above all else-but we're here to plunder the tomb. We shouldn't be hasty, but at the same time, delays will only serve to slow us down.

Darius
2017-05-04, 08:33 PM
Dirge says, "I pray that is not an omen of what is to come." He then summons various elements to more cleanly (and quietly) open a good sized entrance.

LastCenturion
2017-05-08, 07:04 AM
Minutes later, a wide entrance is cleared, and our heroes are free to see down the hallway. The stonework is mostly granite. The floor, walls, and ceilings are smooth, and the hallway is about 20 feet wide by 10 feet high. Perhaps 60 feet down the hall, it comes to an abrupt end. Two separate doors are dimly visible at the end of this roughly worked, plain stone corridor.

http://i.imgur.com/rggAd2km.jpg

J-H
2017-05-08, 07:17 AM
Luke checks to be sure that the new tunnel is stable, and then carefully assesses the worked stone tunnel and doors, looking for traps, creatures, or anything else dangerous.

Do you want me to roll search checks, or will you do it?
Search mod of +21.

Darius
2017-05-16, 10:18 PM
Dirge says to his companion, "Please allow my elemental to go in first."

He summons a small earth elemental as it is the heaviest of the lot and sends it in to see if pits or other traps are triggered by it.