PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfolk Monk/Moon Druid Bite

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-04-30, 11:47 PM
Normally with the monk/moon druid combo, you can't really benefit from the unarmed strike bonus action while in Wild Shape. In Wild Shape, you've got natural attacks like "bite" or "claw" that don't fall under the prerequisite of "unarmed strike or monk weapon" in order to get your unarmed strike bonus action from Martial Arts......

But what if you are a Lizardfold Monk/Moon Druid? One of Lizardfolk's traits is their bite is considered an "unarmed strike". So, let's say you wildshape into a Dire Wolf and you use your "bite" attack. Because of your Lizardfolk ability to treat your bite as an unarmed strike, couldn't you take another "bite" as a bonus action from your monk martial arts? DM-dependent, I'm sure, but a neat combo if it works.

nickl_2000
2017-05-01, 06:44 AM
It's a solid case of "whatever your DM will let you get away with."

To me it just doesn't feel right to allow that, and I like to play that if it doesn't feel right then it shouldn't be done. Still wildshape is probably the most confusing ability anywhere in 5e. That being said, there will be others that will be much better on RAI and RAW as I am and will present decent arguments either way on the issue.

In the end it will fall back on all of us shrugging and telling you to ask your DM.

Belltent
2017-05-01, 11:43 AM
To work, I think we'd have to decide that a wildshaped lizards mouth is different from that of any other race while wildshaped into the same creature.

I don't believe that's supposed to be the case. A dire wolf is a dire wolf is a dire wolf. You would lose the parts of the lizardfolk mouth that make it possible when wildshaped.

What is maintained through wildshape is (I believe) magical traits. That's why you keep the dragonborn breath weapon when shifted and also drow sunlight sensitivity. I assume the lizardfolk bite is not possible because of magic.

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-05-01, 08:11 PM
To work, I think we'd have to decide that a wildshaped lizards mouth is different from that of any other race while wildshaped into the same creature.

I don't believe that's supposed to be the case. A dire wolf is a dire wolf is a dire wolf. You would lose the parts of the lizardfolk mouth that make it possible when wildshaped.

What is maintained through wildshape is (I believe) magical traits. That's why you keep the dragonborn breath weapon when shifted and also drow sunlight sensitivity. I assume the lizardfolk bite is not possible because of magic.

This isn't really true. Per the PHB: "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so."

So, if you're wildshape form can bite, then you should be able to retain the bite feature of your race.

Tetrasodium
2017-05-02, 01:48 AM
MM 10&11 sez:

MELEE AND RANGED ATTACKS
The most common actions that a monster will take in
combat are melee and ranged attacks. These can be
spell attacks or weapon attacks, where the "weapon"
might be a manufactured item or a natural weapon, such
as a claw or tail spike. For more information on different
kinds of attacks, see the Player's Handbook.

and more importantly, volo's 113 says this

Bite. Your fanged maw is a natural weapon, which you
can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you
deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength mod-
ifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an
unarmed strike.

I think on of the SA things (perhaps in the 40 minute wildshape podcast? (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/chris-avellone-and-philip-daigle-planescape-torment-enhanced-edition)) it got mentioned what happens when you run into this sort of thing. choose between phb78s "You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or monk weapon. "
unless you are something odd like moon druid2/monk 18, you are probably better off with the wildshape's bite.

Belltent
2017-05-02, 11:42 AM
This isn't really true. Per the PHB: "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so."

So, if you're wildshape form can bite, then you should be able to retain the bite feature of your race.

That's how it reads, but if you listen to Crawford on the podcast I don't think it holds up.