PDA

View Full Version : [5e] Alistair/Kurotah - LotCS

Videkus
2017-05-01, 01:32 AM
Luskan - 29th Eleasias(August) 1485 DR
http://i.imgur.com/0ZZekkV.jpg?1
The City of Sails, a grand name for a proud and dangerous city and one of the most important ports in the north with the ships of the High Captains controlling a large portion of all water based trade along the Sword Coast and the main shipyard for the mineral wealth of Mirabar before it is shipped off far and wide. It was here that Obar Nevendil had you meet and where he explained the task he had waiting for you.

You remember it clearly. Seated in his private room in the Seven Sails, an inn catering to the better off personages of Luskan, your weapons were taken by the door guards before you were permitted to enter the inn and the fragrant smell of pipe smoke hung faintly in the air. "We were robbed," he stated somewhat agitated as he adjusted the robes that marked him as a member of the Waterdhavian Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, an order known for honoring their word.

"A staff was taken from Blackstaff Tower some months ago now, my sources had tracked him this far only to lose him a month ago. We've since discovered that he continued north bound for the region known as Icewind Dale and the backwater townships of the simply named Ten-Towns," he sighed.

"I'd like you both to work together to ferret out this thief and return to me what was stolen. Bind him, gag him, bring him back as well and you shall recieve a bonus," he nods toward the other mage in the room.

"Alistair, should you be successful we can provide you with permanent access to one of our workshops and libraries in either Neverwinter or Baldur's Gate as well as our continued patronage. Kurotah," he turns to the large goliath.

"Gold to the sum of 200 pieces shall be paid for retrieval of the staff, with a bonus of 50 more should you bring the thief back so he can be tried. Though to be sure, the staff is of the highest importance, should the thief resist," he shrugs.

"The north is a dangerous place."

The next day dawns bright and crisp, Nevendil secured you private rooms in the Speckled Gnome, a nearby inn that while not anywhere near to the opulence of the Seven Sails, was clean, dry and warm, something that from your brief time in the city you've found to be a rarity. A soft knock come to your door and the proprietors voice can be heard, somewhat muffled, through the solid timber. "M'lords, a messenger here for you. He's waiting down in the common room."

After preparing yourselves you head downstairs to the common room, the inn is really quite tidy for Luskan, there's four other people eating simple breakfasts at the two long tables that dominate most of the space. Waiting near the doorway is a well dressed young boy of about 14 who the innkeeper points in your direction when you make your appearance.

"Alistair and K- uh. Kurotah?" he asks you reading off a small note he tucks back away in his pocket.

"Obar Nevedil sends his well wishes and also this," he says removing a small pouching that jingles with the sound of coin drawing a couple half interested looks from the other patrons.

"To buy your passage and outfit yourselves for the journey," he says waiting expectantly.

Welcome, you're both currently at the Speckled Gnome Inn which is at the western end of the street where the Winter Palace is marked.

I've made up a little google doc that we'll use to keep track of your weight, wealth and resources. It's useful to write down the where and when you got things in PbP I've found as often months IRL might go past before you need something in your bags or go to go shopping. So please fill all that out too when you can. (LINK) (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oJNi-k2_yl4TPWR6RvSbDN0cFPnfZtZmhlPuD0Y1P9w/edit?usp=sharing)

Kurotah may of may not know (being inured to the cold) that the nights are deathly cold as your approach the Spine of the World and beyond and that if you don't want to freeze to death you'll want proper clothing. Alistair would even be able to guess as much, while the temperature in Luskan is still above freezing at night, it's not by much and you can only expect it to get worse the further north and into winter it gets.

You both also need to sort out your passage north. So might want to head to where the caravans usually depart or ask around about it.

Pouch
• 30x Gold Coin

Bounty Hunter
2017-05-01, 10:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/2FmTAWx.jpg
Kurotah Morgram (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=32192)
Level One Goliath Ranger

The city was an interesting experience for the goliath: He'd encountered a handful of various races in the wilds of his homeland and occasionally visited or passed by smaller settlements but a handful of farmers shacks were nothing compared to Luskan. The high stone walls certainly would provide greater protection from the dangers of the world but with some many people in one place they must really rely on trade in order to feed everyone--they couldn't possibly farm enough crops or raise enough herds to feed so many mouths through the winter. He wonders if some day his tribe might one day find a place worthy of settling down more permanently--a curious line of thoughts indeed.

His second day in town he begins exploring his options for the trek north. There were obviously the caravaners who'd be looking to hire on able bodies but he figured it might be best to secure some supplies before setting out and for that one needed coin. After a small breakfast he braves the damp chill of the city to inquire about work, read posted letters scrawled and nailed to the notice boards, and the like. There were of course the more run-of-the-mill jobs to be taken but one lead in particular caught his eye: a client that needed experience in the North, the sharp mind to hunt a fugitive, and the direction to not make the ordeal any bigger than need be. Feeling that pretty well suited his talents and knowing that the source likely meant a better arrangement over all he decided to follow up on it.

"With a month lead it'll certainly be a challenge but I think I should be able to root up a clue or two. In nothing else I hear there are not too many places up in the Ten Towns for a man to hide." He rubs a large hand along the scruff a of a bread growing along his chin. "Even if he hides the staff away, I feel a southerner on the run spending his first winter in the real North shouldn't be too hard to track." He glances from Nevendil to Alistair and back again. "No offense."

He hesitates a moment before asking his next question. "It may not be my place to ask but... what does the staff do? Is there danger I should avoid or signs of its use I should look for?" If the questions is dismissed he completely understands and doesn't make a fuss of it. He just prefers to arm himself with as many tools as possible for the hunt to come.

"Kurotah." He responds to the messenger, ensuring the man of the correct pronunciation. He takes the coin pouch as it's offered and takes a second to open it and inspect the contents. "Suppose we stock up and then seek out any caravans still set to brave the pass." He says to his companion, obvious to the messenger standing there expectantly. If tipping were customary here someone would need to explain it to him and he'd comply... though afterwards he'd comment on how weird it is.

Videkus
2017-05-02, 01:46 AM
Luskan - Speckled Gnome Inn
"Do?" you remember Obar replying. "We don't know, it had newly been added to our collection and had yet to be properly cataloged by one of the Magisters. All we have is a physical description of the staff as noted by the merchant that gifted it to us. '5 foot, 8 inches long, straight for three quarters of it's length before becoming more ornate near the head, made from an unknown black metal and tipped with a sapphire encased in a stylized white shell, also of unknown material'." he recites. "It must only be mildly magical or else it would have been detected by those of my order and personally identified."

The boy waits a moment longer. until it became obvious you didn't know what he hoped to receive, before stuffing his hands in his pockets and sulks away out the door.

Airatome are you here? Wanting to make sure before moving on.

Airatome1
2017-05-02, 10:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/CfrzVTS.png

Alistair Graymond (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1188842)

Since fleeing the Hosttower of the Arcane with the ancient tome he had found; Alistair had dedicated most of his time trying to decipher it, which meant the best place for him to do so was right here in Luskan. Alistair had temporarily closed his shop near Baldurs' Gate and was renting a small lab in Luskan. To all but Alistair, he was using it to conduct his Alchemy studies. Alistair was really conducting studies into Necromancy and the Tome of Arklem Greeth. A few weeks after he had finally translated the first few pages and the warning that to bring back life, you must use life (something Alistair was not prepared to do, even in the name of understanding Necromancy) , he was approached by Obar Nevendil.

Alistair had met with Obar before the 'first meeting' had happened, of course, and was given more sensitive information about the magical staff in question. Most importantly, that its return was far more important and was to exceed the potential survival of the rogue wizard who had made off with it. Alistair had no intentions of killing anyone he didn't have to; but the way Obar had said it seemed....final. If it came between the wizard and the staff, the staff took priority.

So when Alistair sat with the large Goliath hunter and listened again to the information, he had to pretend like he was hearing all this for the first time.

"No offense."

"None taken. You will have to make sure I am more prepared for the North than our unfortunate thief of a Wizard, yes?"
Alistair had little else to say and let the Goliath ask any questions he had about their journey north to Ten-Towns before they headed out to find a place to rest until morning.

"Suppose we stock up and then seek out any caravans still set to brave the pass."

"Agreed." Alistair nodded and then waited for the boy to sulk away empty handed before turning to Kurotah and shaking his head amused. "The boy was waiting for a bit of coin, Kurotah. Do they not tip in the North? Perhaps I'll be able to hang on to what little coin I have remaining after journeying here if that's the case..."

Once they were on the street looking at what to buy and where, the Wizard turned to Kurotah. "I travel light, and do not require much. The bulk of my requirements are my alchemy supplies and spellbook, and a few essentials in my pack. I am sad to say, my Goliath friend, that I do not possess the strength you do and couldn't carry much more than I am already, or I fear I wont be of any use should we need to defend ourselves. If we are to purchase things such as a tent or heavy cold weather gear; you won't mind shouldering the extra weight, I hope?"

Bounty Hunter
2017-05-03, 09:23 PM
Level One Goliath Ranger

"We don't know, it had newly been added to our collection and had yet to be properly cataloged by one of the Magisters.

"Understandable. Was mostly just curious for any clues I might follow." He shoots a glance to his new companion to be assured that the staff details were understood and then gives a nod to Obar to assure him the job would be carried out. "We'll find him. And we'll do our best to bring him back alive... the north has a way of ... persuading ... southern folks to leave after all.

"The boy was waiting for a bit of coin, Kurotah. Do they not tip in the North?"
Kurotah shrugs and looks confused. "Maybe they do here in the city, things are certainly not that way up on The Spine. Whoever sent the runner should have paid him or left note in the letter to give him coin from the pouch. Or more than likely if he was a good runner his job in the tribe would have just been runner, no need to expect coin for it... everyone does what they're best at so we all survive." The huge man seals the coin pouch and hefts it once before lightly pitching it to Alistair.

"If we are to purchase things such as a tent or heavy cold weather gear; you won't mind shouldering the extra weight, I hope?"
"I can shoulder some of your weight, sure, but lets try to keep it to the essentials. I've got my own supplies to carry along and the road is long; a sore back is a sore back no matter your size." He chuckles and stands to his full height for emphasis of how much taller he was. "To the markets then."

Airatome1
2017-05-03, 11:26 PM

"....which is why they kicked me out of the great library of Berdusk. 'Greatest Library in all the Sword Coast' , they said. Pfft!" Alistair had been bragging nearly the entire walk to markets of how he had been to many of the world's greatest libraries....and kicked out of just as many for accessing their forbidden sections. Alistair cleared his throat and then continued more calmly in a measured voiced. "So what of yourself? Are you returning to the North after some time away? Also...besides being used to the cold, why you? What skills do you offer to hunting down this theif?"

Alistair wasn't sure how the Goliath would take such questioning. The wizard didn't mean it as a slight, for he was truly only trying to understand him more. When they finally reached the markets, Alistair pointed out a few places where they might be able to find both goods and information, something Alistair was good at due to his years doing heavy research. If the Goliath had any questions about their travels or destination, Alistair could help him find where or who to find such answers from.

Alistair hoped the whole market ordeal didn't take very long. He had everything he could possibly carry in his backpack; which was everything he could possibly need, and anything he did not could be supplied with magic. Just a minor ritual or abjuration, perhaps an evocation, and Alistair could accomplish pretty much anything. As it stood, he feared that trading out his robes for something more suited for cold weather...something heavier...would be too much, but there were some things magic couldn't replace. Cold weather gear among them.....

Videkus
2017-05-04, 02:22 AM
Luskan - Markets
By the time you arrive at the markets they're doing a brisk morning trade as people passing through on their way to their jobs in other parts of the city stop to peruse the wares on display, and there is an extensive selection on display. Crockery from Calimshan, dwarven made weapons brought down river from Mirabar, bolts of cloth imported (with great expense the merchant assures you) all the way from the Sea of Fallen Stars and deftly carved scrimshaw, made from the knucklehead trout Icewind Dale was known for. The smell of food being cooked and containers of spices fill the air with their tempting scents while the cawing of gulls circle overhead and the voices of dozens of people talking and trying to grab your attention overload your senses.

After wandering through the rows of stalls for a while you witness two urchins stealing from the stalls being chased off by the guards in a futile attempt to catch the small thieves and two merchants, garbed in heavy furs, draw their swords as an argument heats up. The crowd thins slightly at that point as the two men move out from the stalls towards the clearing in front of the Prisoner's Carnival to settle their differences. With suddenly uncrowded aisles you quickly find what must be the clothing section of the markets, stalls selling almost every sort of clothing can apparently be found here. Ringing the market stand permanent structures, stores and possibly a few homes. An old man sits outside one of these stores rocking back and forth in a rocking chair while throwing stale bread to the gulls. The sign above his door reads Hunting & Fishing.

What is it you're after?

Airatome1
2017-05-04, 12:54 PM
I meant to put this whole thing in the OOC. How the hell did I mess that up?!

What is it you're after?

You sure do give us a lot of options..... this feels like a living city right now. What if Kurotah wanted to stop the ensuing sword fight? Or Alistair catch the little street urchins? Or chat it up with the old man! (I bet Alistair is good at that) And thats before we even look at what shops are available.

Geeze... where's the railroad at? :P

Videkus
2017-05-04, 06:48 PM
You can hear the hype of the gathering crowd and the enterprising shouts of people looking to take bets from the direction the two merchants had headed. A couple more merchants glance that way and then leave their stalls in the hands of their assistants before hurrying away to see themselves.

A porter in worn clothes is left at one such stall with fur-lined boots on display along the front counter, and more furs lining the back of the stall and after a moment, once he was sure his employer was out of earshot, he calls out to Alistair.

"Good sir! Do your feet ache? Are your toes left blue in these cold mornings? You're in luck! We have shoes even to fit your eunuch there," he says holding up a pair of boots that probably would actually fit Kurotah's feet.

All valid options, i'll try have everyone finishing up this start part around the same time. So depending on how long you take with whatever you decide to do, other parts will just get condensed so we don't have anyone twiddling their thumbs for too long.

Bounty Hunter
2017-05-06, 02:01 AM
Level One Goliath Ranger

It takes the ranger longer than it should to realize he's being asked a question. Somewhere around the second or third story his mind had began to wander while his new traveling companion prattled on about some tome here or incantation there, or whatever 'manipulation of the essential life force' even meant. At first he had been working over questions in his mind: 'If the magic was always bad, how were there books on it? If they discovered it was bad too late, why keep the books around, why not destroy them? Who decides what knowledge is forbidden?' These weren't questions he'd ever imagine he would have asked himself if he'd stayed in his tribe back home and at that thought he's suddenly reminded of his ultimate task on hand. With that he shakes the fog from his mind and snaps back into the world.

"Hmmm?" The last tendrils of fog slither into the furthest corners of his mind. "Returning? No I'm afraid I've never been as far west as the villages they call Ten Towns. This will be my first journey along the long road around the mountains and through the pass." He turns his head and stares off into the distance roughly to the north east for a moment as if contemplating something but doesn't lose his stride as they march along. It wasn't long to the market now and hopefully that particular errand would be done and over with quickly and they could focus on caravan row and securing passage north. It would be much easier if they could find one with guards and other crew already in order so that they might focus on their task at hand. With it being so late in the season though he guessed that there wouldn't be too many options to choose from--if any.

"What all do you need to be ready for the journey?" He asks the smaller man as he looks around the market, eyeing various stalls, stands, tents and all matter of things. "This place is mad... I'd much prefer to have the business done right away... So many people. Are the cities of the south like this as well?" He motions around to emphasize the sheer number of people that are about and seemingly unfazed by the odd pair of them standing in middle of the cobblestone.

Airatome1
2017-05-06, 12:28 PM

"Hmmm?....Returning? No I'm afraid I've never been as far west as the villages they call Ten Towns. This will be my first journey along the long road around the mountains and through the pass."

"I see. It seems we shall both be making first journeys then. I have never been beyond Neverwinter. I had to travel there a year past to get my hands on some rare ingred- " Alistair paused, about to lapse into yet another long story the Goliath need not hear. "Well, I spend most of my time south near Baldur's Gate."

"What all do you need to be ready for the journey.....This place is mad... I'd much prefer to have the business done right away... So many people. Are the cities of the south like this as well?"

"I have not yet mastered the ability to summon food and water to keep us nourished, but I do have my waterskin and a few rations, as horrible tasting as they are. I think we should prepare for there to be few stops along the way, and should take ample rations for the trip. I am also not accustomed to the low temperatures and would require some cold weather gear. I may have to get rid of some things in my pack. I am pretty sure furs would be a deal heavier than my robes; and I couldn't possibly carry anything heavier than my current load. A shame; I am rather attached to how I have packed my belongings. That being said, I have everything I could need already with me."

Alistair took a look around and then shrugged at the Goliath's other comment. "I am only as good with people as I have to be, and would rather be in my study left to my books and research, so I agree we should get this over with swiftly. Most towns in the south are like this. When it comes to a city proper, however, most people keep their wares and goods inside buildings. Shops. They don't try and throw goods at you randomly to make a coin. Anyway....let us get what you feel we need and be off to secure our transport."

Bounty Hunter
2017-05-07, 01:20 AM
Level One Goliath Ranger

He was curious about the cities to the south and how different they must be espeically to someone of his origin. He had never before considered the possibilitiy of traveling there and yet now ... well... he'd never thought he'd be as far as Luskan either and yet here he was: walking around the market with a wizard and buying supplies to hunt down a fleeing thief--odd times were certainly upon him. "Who is Baldur, some hero?" He asks as they move from merchant to merchant to acquire the gear they needed. "What does this gate of his protect?"

"You'd be surprised how much the land can provide even when it looks to be nothing barren tundra and unforgiving ice. You just have to know where to look and when to look there of course otherwise the land will be the one doing the taking." Though he has a serious tone as he says this it's obvious that he speaks from experience and isn't just prattling on to sound ominous or to dissuade the wizard from their task. He simply believed it best to arm anyone seeking to make the trip any further north with the knowledge of what dangers that would entail. And it was true that he had the skills to find food and water even in such a remote and harsh place as where they are going, but the land had to provide and the gods had to be kind.

Airatome1
2017-05-07, 09:17 AM
After Alistair explained who Balduran was and why his 'Gate' existed, they finished thier shopping and ended up with whatever extra they thought required for the trip north.

Which is what...exactly?

Once that had been settled, they headed deeper in and began asking where to secure transport north.

Bounty Hunter
2017-05-07, 02:48 PM
Purchase List
- Two Person Tent 2g
- Manacles 2g
- Cold Weather Gear 2g
- Silk Rope 10g
- Backpack 2g
- Rations (10) 5g
- Hammer 1g
- Iron Spikes (10) 1g
- Crowbar 2g
- Shovel 2g
- Blanket (2) 1g

Videkus
2017-05-08, 02:45 AM
Luskan Outskirts - Caravan Camps

You browse through the stalls and, after an hour hunting down some of the more unusual pieces and bargaining with merchants, eventually find all the pieces you were after. Most of the gear fits into Kurotah's new pack and Alistair's new coat, gloves and boots seem to be of good quality and fit reasonably well. Asking around informs you that your bet chance of finding a caravan heading north would be outside the city where they prepared for their journey.

You pass out through the south gate and the imposing Twin Teeth that guard it's flanks and following a well worn dirt road find the camp you were told of. Three long single storied buildings sit at the start of the row, with a two storied building where the most activity is happening being the forth. At the end stands an open workshop where wainwrights work; building, fixing or adjusting different carts and wagons to the specific orders of their customers. Outside, set up along the wall of the compound, some archery targets have been set up and look to be well used. An enterprising blacksmith has set up a small forge, fixing weapons, armor and horse shoes. At the gate leading into the compound stand three men armed with spears and kitted out in chainmail and steel caps.

When asking about caravans heading north, you're directed inside the last building in the row and told to talk to Beorne. Who is not there. An aide walks you toward the compound and asks you to wait with the guards while he fetched the caravan master. Ten minutes later he returns with a lean dwarf with his beard in twin braids and a yellow feathered tricorn hat on his head. He carries a clipboard in one hand as he looks up at you, and up some more in Kurotahs case. "Beorne Steelstrike, caravan master, what can i do for ye?"

Add all that stuff to your characters and subtract the gold. (use a lump sum in the spending box to keep track of where your gold has gone)

Also, welcome Siegfried and Antheia to the thread. Combining it all since you're all here at the same time.

TheManicMonocle
2017-05-15, 04:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/x80MSs6.jpg
Siegfried Sturmkein (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1189778)
Level One Human Paladin of Tyr

AC: 18 HP: 11 Temp HP: 0
Lay On Hands: 5 / 5
Active Features:
Concentration:
Afflictions:

Siegfried approaches the caravan master and waits patiently for the others to finish talking to him. It would be bad manners, and a bad first impression, to interrupt.

Videkus
2017-05-17, 12:53 AM
Beorne looks to his aide confused, "Is this some sort of joke Baldwin? This aint the time, ye should know better! We leave tomorrow an' it's bad luck to be bothering me between now an' then," he sighs, shaking his head in disappointment at his employee.

"Look lads," he says to Alistair and Kurotah. "I've got better things to do an' i'm sure ye do too. Take a seat out of the way if ye are intent on sticking around the camps, otherwise you're in the way," he says nodding behind you toward where Siegfried was waiting patiently.

"Now then what was it i could help ye with?" he asks stepping past Alistair and Kurotah and approaching Siegfried.

TheManicMonocle
2017-05-18, 12:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/x80MSs6.jpg
Siegfried Sturmkein (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1189778)
Level One Human Paladin of Tyr

AC: 18 HP: 11 Temp HP: 0
Lay On Hands: 5 / 5
Active Features:
Concentration:
Afflictions:

Siegfried prepares himself. "Greetings, Mr. Steelstrike? My name is Siegfried. I was hired by Timothy from the red dragon trading lodge to guard your caravan. I am a paladin of Tyr, with my own weapons and armor, and even cold weather gear." Siegfried gestures to his newly acquired gear.

Videkus
2017-05-18, 03:47 AM
Beorne looks you up and down and nods to himself. "Aye, good to have ye along Siegfried. The road can be dangerous this close to winter an' more swords an' those that can use them are always welcome. Those bloody twins promised me three more though," he says looking past you as he absently strokes his beard.

His eyes coming to rest on Antheia, he nods at Siegfried. "Are ye with him lass?"