PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Warlock/Paladin

keeper2161
2017-05-01, 08:05 AM
I am going to be making a fallen Aasimar Warlock/Paladin. I was thinking 14Warlock/7Paladin. I also wanted to go oathbreaker for the paladin. No idea about the warlock. I have access to: Dungeon masters guide, Elemental evil, PHB, Volo's guide to monsters and Sword coast adventures. I could probably get my hands on any other book if they have something useful.

My Stat: STR 15 (16), Dex 10, Con 14, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 16 (18). The Aasimar adds a +2 CHA and Fallen Aasimar adds +1 STR. Would the Oathbreaker Aura of Hate stack with the invocation Lifedrinker? At 20 CHA that would be +10 damage to every hit. The paladin gets an extra attack by 7 level so simply by hitting it would be a +20 to damage. With the Fallen Aasimar's Necrotic Shroud, because of Lifedrinker, would add my level in necrotic damage. Not that I will probably get that high but at level 20 that would be +40 damage per round just hitting someone for one minute. Plus add 20 STR that adds another +5. 30 damage per round at 15 per attack, with NS it would be 50 per round for one minute. If I add Polearm Master it would add another 15. For a total of 45 damage per round without NS and 65 with NS. That is all before damage rolls or enchantment rolls. Plus the Paladins Divine Smite, and Polearm Master for that extra hit, adds a 9d8 of damage. A Glaive adds 1d10. Average of 9d8 is about 40 plus and lets just say 5 for the 1d10. At 7 level I only have 3 level 2 Paladin spell slots and 4 level 1. So for one round I could do 110 damage if I hit both attacks. 155 if I crit.

Any reccomendation for warlock patron? I might go 13 warlock/ 8 Paladin for that extra ability score but I don't know if it is worth losing the capstone of the warlock.

Everstar
2017-05-01, 08:14 AM
I was thinking 14Warlock/7Paladin.
I might go 13 warlock/ 8 Paladin for that extra ability score but I don't know if it is worth losing the capstone of the warlock.

Neither of these add up to 20. Did you mean 13/7 & 12/8 or 14/6 & and 13/7?

Belltent
2017-05-01, 08:51 AM
Hexblade is what you're looking for. Drop the polearm, use a versatile weapon 2 handed for the same damage, save yourself on the feat, and drop your STR down to 13 (so you can up that WIS for the inevitable hold person that will be coming your way every fight.)

Also, yeah, your level numbers don't add up.

Also you could just go straight hexblade, curse bringer invocation for the smites without the MC-DMG shenanigans.

Corran
2017-05-01, 04:58 PM
I was thinking 14Warlock/7Paladin.

I might go 13 warlock/ 8 Paladin
Blackjack!

Seriously though, you might want to consider going pure oathbreaker, or at least up to oathbreaker 9. These numbers seem well and all, but having a couple armored zombies that can grapple your enemies to give you advantage, or that wil allow you to use sentinel reaction attacks for reliably and more often, will add to a better dpr in practice (I think). Then again, if you are at oathbreaker 9, going oathbreaker 12 for aura of courage, IDS, and a 4th feat (I cound, PAM, sentinel, and two charisma bumps for maximize the chances of dreadful aspect sticking) seems like a no brainer to me. And 13th level for level 4 spells and slots and level 15 for supernatural resistance, then another ASI at 16, level 5 spells (destructive wrath) at 17, aura improvements(!) at 18, ASI at 19 and the capstone (oh, that capstone...!) at 20. Yeah, it might be just me but I cannot multiclass out of oathbreaker, it is just too powerful.

Anyway, if you want a warlock patron (assuming no UA from the list of books you mentioned), mmmm, I really dont know. I guess fiend is a good choice since it offers some AoE's which is an area that paladin is missing options. The temp hp are good, in a sense that they dont cost anything to your action economy, as opposed to the archfey's respective feature. Dark one's own luck can be used with your initiative, and since you will be doing lots of damage it is always good to go first.

keeper2161
2017-05-01, 06:01 PM
I apologize. My math is totally off. I made this when I woke up this morning before work. So I was thinking 12 warlock and 8 oathbreaker. I really wish that Lifedrinker didn't have the level 12 requirement but I can't really do anything about it. I like the fallen Aasimar turned mad flavor so i was thinking of going old ones. This build doesn't finish getting strong until the level 20. Either way the level 8 or 12 adds a +5 damage to every swing and gives ability points. I would have to gun toward one or the other then finish off the rest with the other class. I like the idea of sustained damage. Not relying on spells or crits. Just pure constant damage. Plus with the spells of the paladin and warlock it would give me some fun things to do so I wouldn't be a one trick pony. Granted not much to do on the paladin side but the warlock side would give me lots of fun things. I don't like the idea of relying on zombies. Mainly they attract attention and I don't think my party members would like me animating the dead.

Corran
2017-05-01, 06:30 PM
I like the fallen Aasimar turned mad flavor so i was thinking of going old ones.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Havent looked at the fallen aasimars yet, so I wouldnt know much of their flavour, but what you just described sounds like a winner. Go with it!

This build doesn't finish getting strong until the level 20. Either way the level 8 or 12 adds a +5 damage to every swing and gives ability points. I would have to gun toward one or the other then finish off the rest with the other class. I like the idea of sustained damage. Not relying on spells or crits. Just pure constant damage. Plus with the spells of the paladin and warlock it would give me some fun things to do so I wouldn't be a one trick pony. Granted not much to do on the paladin side but the warlock side would give me lots of fun things. I don't like the idea of relying on zombies. Mainly they attract attention and I don't think my party members would like me animating the dead.
Fair enough.
I think your only dilemma now would be how you split the levels. The 8/12 split grants you a feat, while the 7/13 split grants you a 7th level spell. Personally I tend to value spell levels more than ASI's, but since your spell selection for 7th level spells is limited to etherealness, finger rof death, forcecage and plane shift, and since you could really profit from a feat like PAM (or sentinel) on top of maxed str and charisma, it could go either way. I think I would still go with the 7/13 split and grab forcecage, but I am not 100% sure that's the correct way to optimize.

Level progression would be tricky to set up ''correctly'', but I think you should prioritize dreadful aspect as it is too good of a feature IMO. (In fact I consider it to be so good, that I would never choose to play an oathbreaker from the get go, I would rather have my character turn into one at a higher level, cause having this ability from that early on, is a bit op IMO, but that may be just me.