PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me optimise and fluff a Moonbow Warlock 5/ Mystic 15

deathadder99
2017-05-01, 09:58 AM
I've seen this build mentioned in another thread, but I can't actually find the original build mentioned. I sketched it out and it seems like a pretty strong build.

In terms of build - I think High Elf is a good choice for the character. I get good Dex & Int. I'm unsure as to what I should take for the cantrip, this build really doesn't need them, but I'm thinking Gust to match with some of the flavor added later w/ mystic.

Obviously, Warlock 5 is for the invocations. Thirsting Blade & Moon Bow are absolutely required. Then some random invocation and swap it out for Improved Pact Weapon. This gives me 2 attacks, with a +1 Moon Bow (ranged Smites!).

In terms of spell choice, the cantrips really aren't needed but Mage Hand, Minor Illusion and Friends kind of match the flavor, and are definitely useful. I know six Warlock spells, and I'd say that Hex, Faerie Fire, Mirror Image, Misty Step, Fly and Blink are probably excellent choices here. I'll mostly be attacking with the bow, and anything that keeps me out of trouble is perfect.

Then, Mystic 15. Order of the Wu Jen is by far the best choice here. I get spell slots which feed into Moon Bow Smite, and I get some more Wizard spells. Counterspell, Dispel Magic and Find Familiar seem like pretty good choices here.

For disciplines, I get two Wu Jen disciplines, and seven of my choice. At level 1 mystic, I think that I go for Nomadic Arrow
for obvious reasons, Mastery of Air for flying and maybe Mastery of Weather for the AoE. This also gives me that kind of "Airbender" feel that combos so nicely with the Gust cantrip.

For my other 6 Disciplines - Celerity seems great for mobility and the bonus action extra attack. Nomadic Step seems great for mobility and getting the hell out of dodge. Psionic Weapon helps vs stuff with a lot of armor. I get 3 more talents. Nomadic Mind seems like it would help the exploration and social bit of the game. Mantle of Joy seems pretty decent, as does Intellect fortress - in combination you can buff your allies' saves and then get them to immediately make those saves.

For stats, I think an 8/16/14/16/10/10 spread is pretty solid. I get 4 ASIs, and I think they go to Sharpshooter, Dex x2 and Int x1.

For flavour, I like the idea of a blind elf who made a pact with a Fey being to get his sight back, but after getting his sight back and realising how easy it is to manipulate people's perception of reality, he chose to focus on seeing things how they truly are.

Any tips/comments/suggestions? It looks like a fun build with a lot of options.

Consensus
2017-05-01, 11:55 AM
For stats, I think an 8/16/14/16/10/10 spread is pretty solid.

you need 13 charisma to multiclass in or out of warlock

deathadder99
2017-05-01, 12:05 PM
you need 13 charisma to multiclass in or out of warlock

Yup, my bad. I'll drop Con to 12 for a 8/16/12/16/10/13 spread then.