PDA

View Full Version : Going 1 Fighter/ 2 wizard, which fighting style?

Desiani
2017-05-01, 03:44 PM
I'm starting out as a 1fighter/2 wizard in an upcoming game. I've been debating between the archery, defense and dueling. The upside to archery is so I can have a fairly viable option when my spells run out for the day. Defense is just a flat +1 A.C. which is helpful to not die. Dueling is simple. The main issue I have with it is I'm not wanting to Gish, but if gives me the option to defend myself should melee be forced upon me. I'm just using fighter for armor/shield and action surge.

Has anyone played this combo enough to help me decide which one is for me? :D

Thanks

Corran
2017-05-01, 04:10 PM
Well, the way I see it, defense, hands down. Archery might be good at the early levels, but soon enough your cantrips will power up and your intelliegence score will improve (as opposed to your dex), so archery would e only good for the first few levels, then you would have no use for it. Remember, your spells might run out, yet you can never run out of cantrips. Dueling wont make a difference since you are not planning to be a gish, so defense is the only logical option.

RulesJD
2017-05-01, 04:27 PM
Yurp, Defense is the only logical choice, given your build intentions. Plus makes wearing that sweet Plate while being a Wizard super fun.

Desiani
2017-05-01, 06:47 PM
When going defensive, I assume that a shield will not hinder my casting since I'm proficient?

PeteNutButter
2017-05-01, 06:49 PM
When going defensive, I assume that a shield will not hinder my casting since I'm proficient?

Not at all, just keep that other hand free for magic finger wiggling.

Desiani
2017-05-01, 07:09 PM

Would Warcaster be good to get for the whole I CARRY SHIELD YOU NOT TOUCH ME plate wearing wizarding?

PeteNutButter
2017-05-01, 07:26 PM
Would Warcaster be good to get for the whole I CARRY SHIELD YOU NOT TOUCH ME plate wearing wizarding?

Not unless you plan on regularly swinging a weapon. Otherwise, you are fine keeping your main hand free to cast.

Desiani
2017-05-01, 07:30 PM
Not unless you plan on regularly swinging a weapon. Otherwise, you are fine keeping your main hand free to cast.

Spiffy! :D now I can annoy my sister since she is the one Dming and hates multiclass chars :p 24+a.c. wizard here I go! Lol

NNescio
2017-05-01, 07:56 PM

Just be aware to use a spell component pouch (SCP) instead of an arcane focus as the latter requires you to hold it with your hand, so you can't perform somatic-only spells (and VS spells) like the all-important reaction Shield (also Absorb Elements and Counterspell) if both your hands are holding something (shield and focus).

Unless you're okay with dropping the focus and then free-object-interaction pick it up on your subsequent turn, that is, but that's just tempting your opponents to grab it from the floor or kick it away.

This issue can also become very annoying if you want to hold a magical item that grants bonuses to spell attack rolls/spell saving throws like Staves of Power/Magi or the Wand of the Warmage. Too risky to drop those, after all.

Lord Ruby34
2017-05-01, 11:37 PM
Or make your focus a pendent. That way you can hang it around your neck and grab it when you need it, and letting it drop only leaves it hanging around your throat again.

Lombra
2017-05-02, 06:10 AM
You would be in full-plate, wearing a shield, and wielding a spellbook in your main hand. Now that's cool.

Malifice
2017-05-02, 07:10 AM
I'm starting out as a 1fighter/2 wizard in an upcoming game. I've been debating between the archery, defense and dueling. The upside to archery is so I can have a fairly viable option when my spells run out for the day. Defense is just a flat +1 A.C. which is helpful to not die. Dueling is simple. The main issue I have with it is I'm not wanting to Gish, but if gives me the option to defend myself should melee be forced upon me. I'm just using fighter for armor/shield and action surge.

Has anyone played this combo enough to help me decide which one is for me? :D

Thanks

Two weapon fighting:

http://garydavidstratton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/gandalf-two-hands.png

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-05-02, 08:35 AM
Defence. Or mariner if you're not planning on using heavy armour, because that's defence with a couple of extra perks.

Zman
2017-05-02, 09:06 AM
Defense. Plate+Shield+Defense= AC21. That's super solid.

Though, eventually Fighter 2 for action surge can be very useful, but it sets you back a dull spell level, so save that for high levels.

Desiani
2017-05-02, 09:28 AM
Two weapon fighting:

http://garydavidstratton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/gandalf-two-hands.png

Is that actually possible mechanically? Baha

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-05-02, 11:24 AM

I suppose so - if you took the Dual Wielder feat, you could use a longsword and quarterstaff. It's kinda rubbish though.

Desiani
2017-05-02, 01:32 PM
I suppose so - if you took the Dual Wielder feat, you could use a longsword and quarterstaff. It's kinda rubbish though.

Could you do this as a gish with the duelest style and have the arcane focus on the other hand?

Brawnspear
2017-05-02, 03:49 PM

Staff and Sword is where it's at, all you need is the two weapon fighting style, warcaster, two weapon fighting feat, and polearm master. You can dual wield with your sword and stick, doing slightly more damage than polearm master. When people walk up to you or away from you, you can cast greenflame bonk. You get +1 AC. Warcaster lets you use your stick and sword and spells all at the same time. Its not even remotely optimal but it is a lot of fun if you want to Gandalf it up :D

Malifice
2017-05-02, 04:03 PM

Dual wielder is the only way to make it work. Bonus points because the staff is an arcane focus so you can cast with your hands full without warcaster.

To make it work take 2 levels of Paladin on your Wizard (or better yet, 2 levels of Paladin on your Lore Bard which Gandalf surely is).

Screw the TWF fighting style (your Str is likely low in any event) and your damage comes from the two divine smites per round. DW gives you +1 to AC as well as enabling sword and staff so its not a total waste.

Its probably worth going Paladin 6/ Lore Bard 14. Three attacks per round with divine smite, ("I am the flame of Arduin!" - deals extra 1d8 damage to fiends such as balrogs) party buffing with bardic inspiration ("run you fools!") + Charisma to your fellowship.. err companions saving throws, you get to buff your Staff to +Cha to hit 1/short rest, cutting words ("Dont mistake me for a conjurer of cheap tricks!") expertise in history, persuasion, arcana, perception, and spell secrets for pyrotechnics in case you want to put on a fireworks show for your local Hobbit village.

Citan
2017-05-02, 04:22 PM
]Staff and Sword is where it's at, all you need is the two weapon fighting style, warcaster, two weapon fighting feat, and polearm master. [/B] You can dual wield with your sword and stick, doing slightly more damage than polearm master. When people walk up to you or away from you, you can cast greenflame bonk. You get +1 AC. Warcaster lets you use your stick and sword and spells all at the same time. Its not even remotely optimal but it is a lot of fun if you want to Gandalf it up :D
ABSOLUTELY NOT.
The only thing required is Two Weapon Fighting Style if you want to be good enough because it allows you to add proficiency to your bonus action attack.

Everything else is good to have but absolutely not necessary. Polearm Master particularty is somewhat wasted because his most interesting feature is redundant with your two-weapon fighting.

Warcaster is not strictly needed because usually you can just sheathe/unsheathe your off-hand weapon depending on whether you intend to cast a spell or attack. The big difference lies in reaction only.

So no, dual-wielding Gandalf style is far from being as costly as you imply. ;)

Arenabait
2017-05-02, 04:39 PM
Also, just to make it clear, you can hold a longsword and quarterstaff without the feat, but you won't get a bonus action attack. Hell, your wizard could hold a greatsword in one hand while hasts spells if you wanted.

Brawnspear
2017-05-02, 04:53 PM
ABSOLUTELY NOT.
The only thing required is Two Weapon Fighting Style if you want to be good enough because it allows you to add proficiency to your bonus action attack.

Everything else is good to have but absolutely not necessary. Polearm Master particularty is somewhat wasted because his most interesting feature is redundant with your two-weapon fighting.

Warcaster is not strictly needed because usually you can just sheathe/unsheathe your off-hand weapon depending on whether you intend to cast a spell or attack. The big difference lies in reaction only.

So no, dual-wielding Gandalf style is far from being as costly as you imply. ;)

It doesn't need to be as costly, but why not go whole ham on it? I just like the flavor of a guy walking up to smack our Maiar getting surprised by a sudden flaming bonk to the noggin thanks to polearm master + warcaster opportunity attack combo. Lets be fair, Gandalf has godly stats anyways, not like he needs to spend those ASIs on upping abilities. :)

NNescio
2017-05-03, 07:48 PM
Or make your focus a pendent. That way you can hang it around your neck and grab it when you need it, and letting it drop only leaves it hanging around your throat again.

Technically not RAW (no arcane focus is a pendant), but yeah, nothing is stopping the player from hanging a wand or some small-sized focus on a lanyard or cord from his character's neck or belt (for heavier items), similar to other characters who use (or 'abuse', depending on DM) similar drop-item-and-FOI-pick-up tactics (like some EKs without Warcaster).

Defense. Plate+Shield+Defense= AC21. That's super solid.

Though, eventually Fighter 2 for action surge can be very useful, but it sets you back a dull spell level, so save that for high levels.

Plate needs STR 15, making the Wizard more MAD then he needs to be, or being a dwarf (less optimal stats, and also limits racial choice for some roleplayers with certain character concepts in mind). I'd rather go Half Plate (needs only Dex 14 for max AC) even if it's one less AC (15 + 2 Dex mod+ 2 shield + 1 Defensive FS), or breastplate (14 + 2 + 2 + 1) for two less if my character has proficiency in stealth (to avoid disadvantage).

Lord Ruby34
2017-05-03, 09:05 PM
Technically not RAW (no arcane focus is a pendant), but yeah, nothing is stopping the player from hanging a wand or some small-sized focus on a lanyard or cord from his character's neck or belt (for heavier items), similar to other characters who use (or 'abuse', depending on DM) similar drop-item-and-FOI-pick-up tactics (like some EKs without Warcaster).

Huh, I always thought of the crystal option as a necklace but I guess you're right, it's just a hunk of crystal (or a ball).

djreynolds
2017-05-04, 12:01 AM
I played an abjurer wizard, mountain dwarf, in half plate (no shield, didn't come with it)

In time I dumped my weapon and just used shocking grasp in melee and firebolt from range.

This was before all this BB/GFB existed, my point is I could focus on my casting stat and then constitution

I like war caster, but I prefer a higher con score and more hit points.