PDA

View Full Version : elven accuracy

Spiritchaser
2017-05-01, 04:29 PM
So... I'm trying to imagine the most powerful use of the UA playtest material feat, elven accuracy.

The first thing that comes to mind is a half elven STR/cha Fighter 1, Warlock (Hexblade feylock or fiend) 19 with the two feats elven accuracy and GWM

This would only start to come online at 4th level, and really start to pick up steam at 9th

STR caps at 20, con is limited depending on how hard you dump wis/dex, but 16 is possible. Cha only gets to 18 (or 19 If for some reason you wanted that)

Darkness devils sight, improved invisibility with feylock or ultimately foresight, you'll generally have super advantage, and with GWM This should hurt things.

Barbarian does not seem to me to be quite as good a fit, but I stand ready to be proved wrong on that.

Anything else jump out at people?

Kane0
2017-05-01, 04:36 PM
I'll be trying out a dual wielding Barb 2 / Champion 12 this weekend, four attack as super advantage each turn plus another three when action surging should get me a nice bundle of 19s and 20s. Chances are there will be Haste involved too.

Corran
2017-05-01, 10:08 PM
Istictively, I would say a ranged rogue. Cunning action to hide as a reliable source of advantage, good damage to profit from the triple advantage, and makes very good use of the increased critical chance due multiplaying lots of dice (ie sneak attack). What puts it ahead of other options imo, is that you do not need to burn resources to make it work, and it is a very reliable strategy. So yeah, something like that.

Khrysaes
2017-05-01, 11:20 PM
This feat is one of the reasons I am debating Tabaxi, or Half Elf/Wood Elf as a race for my own ranged rogue.

I like Tabaxi better for flavor reasons, although even without the feat, I think elves are better mechanically.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-05-02, 01:37 AM
So... I'm trying to imagine the most powerful use of the UA playtest material feat, elven accuracy.

The first thing that comes to mind is a half elven STR/cha Fighter 1, Warlock (Hexblade feylock or fiend) 19 with the two feats elven accuracy and GWM

This would only start to come online at 4th level, and really start to pick up steam at 9th

STR caps at 20, con is limited depending on how hard you dump wis/dex, but 16 is possible. Cha only gets to 18 (or 19 If for some reason you wanted that)

Darkness devils sight, improved invisibility with feylock or ultimately foresight, you'll generally have super advantage, and with GWM This should hurt things.

Barbarian does not seem to me to be quite as good a fit, but I stand ready to be proved wrong on that.

It says any attack roll including spells too is 19-20, and so does elven accuracy. Warlocks would want magic initiate for advantage with owl flyby.

Also, go warlock 12 for lifedrinker, thirsting blade, cursebringer, superior pact weapon, devils sight, one with shadows, and sign of ill omen. Then Red dragon sorcerer and at 6 you get to add charisma to fire spells. That will give you on your action: (3 attacks for 2D6 + D8 from bestow curse + 5 strength +charisma lifedrinker +2 SPW), then on bonus cast quickened green flame blade for (2D6 +D8 + 5 + 4D8 +2xcharisma fire damage/lifedrinker +2SPW) You will have 3x 5th level warlock spell slots and 3x third level spell slots from sorcerer. It will take a few rounds for wind up time but if use the bestow curse to use a 5th and haste to use a 3rd you can do 32D8 extra slashing from being able to expend 4 spell slots in one round on curse bringer as you will have 2x 5th level slots and can use 2x 3rd. If you are in dim light you are invisible, and can cast darkness with devils sight. And 10-15% chance to crit.

You could do a lite version at Warlock 5/Sorc 5, you will have 4 third level slots, 3 second so the extra damage would only be 22D8 without the extra fire damage and probably not bestow curse. Going the rest of the way sorcerer you would forget charisma, take luck for 4 D20 rolls to hit, and have 4 attacks in a round with 66 extra D8's, and 8D6 +20 strength plus GFB damage. When you crit, use your 7th level slot for the 14D8 damage extra on one swing. Each day you have 20 spell slots if you don't short rest, and can convert 15 sorcery points into more spell slots if you run out of ammo.

skaddix
2017-05-02, 02:05 AM
Depends do you want melee or range?
Do you want nova or sustain....

I like a mix of 12 Revised Ranger (Hunter), 4 Fighter (Champion) and 4 Barbarian (Bear Totem).

Get GWF and Tunnel Fighter....get GWM, PAM and Sentinel. Pick Wood Elf.

Basically Reckless Attack is free advantage, champion improves crit range...find some way to cluster your foes and then abuse the frak out of Whirlwind attack to hit every foe in 5 ft. Use your bonus action to either turn on rage or activate tunnel fighter if you turn on tunnel fighter congrats abuse anything that tries to move within 5ft with Opportunity Attacks

Spiritchaser
2017-05-03, 04:19 PM
Ok, how about champion 15, mystic 5

Aura of bloodletting for all, lots of attacks with a big weapon, and most likely a silly number of crits... 3 attacks per round, 3 rolls per attack and a 3 in 20 chance of a crit

You are going to crit at least once about 3/4 of the time, plus even 5 levels of mystic is pretty cool

Krestus
2017-05-03, 04:35 PM
Before you imagine too hard, I would consider asking your DM if this feat would be allowed at all. It is WAY overpowered at basically no loss and any character you make that takes advantage (lol) of it will likely be kicked to the curb. Advantage is already far and wide too common and an absurdly great jump in success simply for the sake of simplicity. 3d20 will very likely guarantee anything, no matter how difficult. The game was designed with the intention of characters NOT being able to have double advantage. I wouldn't allow it as a DM and yours likely won't either. Just my two cents.

Yagyujubei
2017-05-03, 04:40 PM

Aura of bloodletting for all, lots of attacks with a big weapon, and most likely a silly number of crits... 3 attacks per round, 3 rolls per attack and a 3 in 20 chance of a crit

You are going to crit at least once about 3/4 of the time, plus even 5 levels of mystic is pretty cool

yeah this is what i was thinking, some ultimate crit fisher nonsense

nickl_2000
2017-05-03, 04:47 PM
I think the new UA arcane archer 8 and rogue 12. 6d6 sneak attack, sharpshooter, curved shot, and Elven accuracy. You potentially roll 6d20 for each attack in a round to see if you

redd6425
2017-05-04, 02:46 PM
Before you imagine too hard, I would consider asking your DM if this feat would be allowed at all. It is WAY overpowered at basically no loss and any character you make that takes advantage (lol) of it will likely be kicked to the curb. Advantage is already far and wide too common and an absurdly great jump in success simply for the sake of simplicity. 3d20 will very likely guarantee anything, no matter how difficult. The game was designed with the intention of characters NOT being able to have double advantage. I wouldn't allow it as a DM and yours likely won't either. Just my two cents.

How is this "at basically no loss"? It's taken in place of an ASI/any other feat. The feat is strong but nowhere near blatantly overpowered.

RSP
2017-05-04, 03:05 PM

Just an FYI Warlock Hexblade is a Patron, same as Fey and Fiend, so you can't have a "Hexblade feylock or fiend"

RSP
2017-05-04, 03:23 PM
In general, and I'm sure a 5e statistician has looked at this already, I'm not sure the feat is as good as assumed. I'm thinking it's a 50% increase on crit chance, so if already sporting Advantage and an increased crit range of 19-20, you go from about 19% to about 27%? So essentially an 8% difference in chance to roll a weapon die again (~6.5-7 added dam).

The only ways to get that increased crit range that come to mind are the Champ and the Hexblade. The Champion gets more attacks but not much in the way of add on doubled damage dice, and the Warlock gets some good add on damage but MADness and less attacks to capitalize on.

A Rogue or Pally would add to the dice being doubled, and either can get kinda reliable Advantage via Bonus Action Hiding or Avenger's Channel. As the Pally only gets this for a minute, it's more niche.

A Champ 3/Barb X and always using Reckless could work as well.

I'd probably say a ranged Rogue using BA Hide every round for 1 attack with 'Super' Advantage Sneak Attack is your best bet. You're also all but guaranteeing at least a hit.
M

Not sure other builds are worth the ASI investiture.

joaber
2017-05-05, 04:04 PM

The problem is that you'll be hitted a lot, since enemies get advantage too.

Scathain
2017-05-05, 07:10 PM
In general, and I'm sure a 5e statistician has looked at this already, I'm not sure the feat is as good as assumed. I'm thinking it's a 50% increase on crit chance, so if already sporting Advantage and an increased crit range of 19-20, you go from about 19% to about 27%? So essentially an 8% difference in chance to roll a weapon die again (~6.5-7 added dam).

The only ways to get that increased crit range that come to mind are the Champ and the Hexblade. The Champion gets more attacks but not much in the way of add on doubled damage dice, and the Warlock gets some good add on damage but MADness and less attacks to capitalize on.

A Rogue or Pally would add to the dice being doubled, and either can get kinda reliable Advantage via Bonus Action Hiding or Avenger's Channel. As the Pally only gets this for a minute, it's more niche.

A Champ 3/Barb X and always using Reckless could work as well.

I'd probably say a ranged Rogue using BA Hide every round for 1 attack with 'Super' Advantage Sneak Attack is your best bet. You're also all but guaranteeing at least a hit.
M

Not sure other builds are worth the ASI investiture.

Following up on the paladin idea, vengeance isnt the only option. Barb2/PaladinX, grabbing Treachery as your Oath means your Poison Strike is guaranteed to do 20+Paladin level in damage. Just wear medium armor, and avoid concentration spells as much as possible so you can maintain rage, and focus on smite.

Spiritchaser
2017-05-05, 07:10 PM
The problem is that you'll be hitted a lot, since enemies get advantage too.

Nothing is perfect

joaber
2017-05-06, 01:33 AM
Nothing is perfect

For that cost I would dip just 2 levels in barbarian for reckless attack. Free my bonus action and I don't mind with losing concentration.

Mystic looks better for range build. Mastery of light and shadow for no concentration cheap darkness + devil's sight, nomadic arrow for "haste", reaction try again if miss

Slipperychicken
2017-05-06, 04:25 PM

For the expected damage calculation, you just change the hit and crit chance. Of course, the formula might need to be more sophisticated to account for the fact that even when they are eligible to trigger critical hits, 19s and 18s are not auto-hits like 20s are. Or not, if the hypothetical GM rules that those results are auto-hits despite not equaling or exceeding a target's AC (I expect many real GMs will rule this way, so it is relevant to the discussion). Here are numbers for crit chances by number of d20s rolled, assuming that the attacker hits on an 18+ at least.

Normally
1 | 2 | 3
5% | 9.75% | 14.26%

For 19-20 crits:
1 | 2 | 3
10% | 19% | 27.10%

For 18-20 crits it's
1 | 2 | 3
15% | 27.75% | 38.59%.

As you can imagine, that will impact expected damage. Of course, I imagine that hit chance is going to have a very significant impact on expected damage output, possibly moreso than the crit chance. That will be a good subject for further analysis of elven accuracy.

RSP
2017-05-06, 04:33 PM
Of course, the formula might need to be more sophisticated to account for the fact that 19s and 18s are not auto-hits like 20s are.

A crit is a hit. Per JC:

Lars Hjortshøj @20771646
@JeremyECrawford
Hi
I have a question about the champions improved crit hit range on 18-20
Are they automatic hits like a normal 20?
Thx

Jeremy Crawford @JeremyECrawford
@20771646 Yes, they are.
6:02 PM - 12 Nov 2015

Kane0
2017-05-06, 11:43 PM
Update on my fighter 12/barb 2.
I crit at least once per round, occasionally twice.
Id frequently hand out 60 or more damage in a round, AC 20 and rage kept me alive much longer than expected.
Overall very happy with the results, well worth the feat slot if you make three or more attacks per round.

kentran
2017-09-10, 10:12 PM
Depends do you want melee or range?
Do you want nova or sustain....

I like a mix of 12 Revised Ranger (Hunter), 4 Fighter (Champion) and 4 Barbarian (Bear Totem).

Get GWF and Tunnel Fighter....get GWM, PAM and Sentinel. Pick Wood Elf.

Basically Reckless Attack is free advantage, champion improves crit range...find some way to cluster your foes and then abuse the frak out of Whirlwind attack to hit every foe in 5 ft. Use your bonus action to either turn on rage or activate tunnel fighter if you turn on tunnel fighter congrats abuse anything that tries to move within 5ft with Opportunity Attacks

Nova can attack long range and melee, right? I personally do not like its.

Sicarius Victis
2017-09-11, 05:25 PM
Nova can attack long range and melee, right? I personally do not like its.

"Nova" has nothing to do with range, and instead refers to "expending resources to deal a large amount of damage in a small period of time".

GlenSmash!
2017-09-13, 02:55 PM
I like Half-Elf Revised Deepstalker Ranger. Ranger will provide Advantage on the first Round of combat. Deepstalker gets another attack in that first round, and the extra movement ain't bad either. The extra range for dark-vision will help in those times you want to attack from Range. It works well with a lot of fighter levels for extra attack too. For a melee focused version a couple of levels in Barbarian and GWM.

3 Revised Ranger, 11 Scout Fighter, 2 Barb would get me all the goodies I would like. 4,12,4 would get me more feats.