PDA

View Full Version : Anthropomorphic Dog In 3.5

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-01, 07:08 PM
Is there such thing as an anthropomorphic dog in D&D 3.5?

eggynack
2017-05-01, 07:19 PM
Sure. Savage species 215. There's also riding dog and wolf.

The Viscount
2017-05-01, 07:30 PM
There is also the Lupin from Dragon Compendium and the Laika from the Savage Species web enhancement.

tomandtish
2017-05-01, 07:34 PM
Is there such thing as an anthropomorphic dog in D&D 3.5?

Depends on the definition you are using. In the real world, an anthropomorphic animal would be one that you are ascribing "human"* like traits to. So it isn't something that a creature IS as such, but something that we look at and see (or think we see) human-like elements. So some people anthromorphize dogs, some cats, etc.

In D&D, there are some creatures that are intelligent enough that they may have personalities, etc. Those will probably be similar to human just because it is going to be a rare DM that can truly duplicate a completely non-human(oid) personality. Blink dogs would be a good example. LG and on par with humans in intelligence, they certainly have the potential to have characteristics that we would recognize in ourselves.

If you're taking the definition of human form, and not just traits, then you have to look at some of the races. Basically any race that is canine/lupine in nature while bipedal/humanoid might qualify. Gnolls for example.

* In a fantasy world you can assume human traits to mean humanoid. So elves would be looking for elven traits, dwarves for dwarven traits, etc.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-01, 07:39 PM
Depends on the definition you are using. In the real world, an anthropomorphic animal would be one that you are ascribing "human"* like traits to. So it isn't something that a creature IS as such, but something that we look at and see (or think we see) human-like elements. So some people anthromorphize dogs, some cats, etc.

In D&D, there are some creatures that are intelligent enough that they may have personalities, etc. Those will probably be similar to human just because it is going to be a rare DM that can truly duplicate a completely non-human(oid) personality. Blink dogs would be a good example. LG and on par with humans in intelligence, they certainly have the potential to have characteristics that we would recognize in ourselves.

If you're taking the definition of human form, and not just traits, then you have to look at some of the races. Basically any race that is canine/lupine in nature while bipedal/humanoid might qualify. Gnolls for example.

* In a fantasy world you can assume human traits to mean humanoid. So elves would be looking for elven traits, dwarves for dwarven traits, etc.

Well I'm thinking of a golden retriever wizard. My definition of an anthropomorphic dog is a humanoid with canine qualities. And I tried searching anthropomorphic dog on the nternet and there's no luck at all. :frown:

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-01, 10:56 PM
A lupin or laika is the way to go. Come from a tribe that settled in a quaint temperate boating village. They hunt ducks mostly, but everyone has a relative that spent time on lobster boats.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-02, 02:35 AM
Sure. Savage species 215. There's also riding dog and wolf.

But is there an anthropomorphic small dog that rides a medium riding dog?

No really, even just the search results for "pug cowboy" (https://www.google.nl/search?q=pug+cowboy&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1m-vk2NDTAhWFPFAKHUcGAq4Q_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=_) are so much better than I could have imagined.

Thurbane
2017-05-02, 04:14 AM
In the Savage Species web enhancement, there's also the Laika race, which is a basically humanoid anthro-dog with a few extra touches.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20030207a

Inevitability
2017-05-02, 05:13 AM
You can be a dog hengeyokai in hybrid form.

PrismCat21
2017-05-02, 07:29 AM
But is there an anthropomorphic small dog that rides a medium riding dog?

Allow me to bring forth my personal favorite Knight of honor and goodness.
Sir Didymus astride the mighty Ambrosius!!
https://creative.myspacecdn.com/design/myspace/editorial/ambrosius.jpg

Telonius
2017-05-02, 07:56 AM
Canomorphs from Fiend Folio might fit the bill, though they're very bad dogs.

WeaselGuy
2017-05-02, 08:47 AM
There are also the Marruspawn from Sandstorm. Very Anubis inspired bipedal canines. I think they are the Marrulurk, Marrutact, and Marrusault. The Lurk is more for a rogue, the Tact is arcane casting, and I think the Sault is a bruiser... Regardless, they all have varying amounts of RHD and LA, so they aren't that good for low level play. The Marrutact, in particular, has 7 HD and 3 LA, but has 5th level Wizard casting, and class levels of Wizard advance that casting, so he could make for a decent mid-late game gish.

Socksy
2017-05-02, 08:47 AM
Well I'm thinking of a golden retriever wizard. My definition of an anthropomorphic dog is a humanoid with canine qualities. And I tried searching anthropomorphic dog on the nternet and there's no luck at all. :frown:

Please tell me you had safesearch on.

Try refluffing a kobold, especially if you want no level adjustment and a kinda crappy bite attack.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-02, 09:22 AM
Please tell me you had safesearch on.

Try refluffing a kobold, especially if you want no level adjustment and a kinda crappy bite attack.
Yes I have safesearch on. Why do you ask? Also you do realized that kobold isn't a humanoid dog, right?

Deadline
2017-05-02, 09:48 AM
Yes I have safesearch on. Why do you ask? Also you do realized that kobold isn't a humanoid dog, right?

Depends on the edition really:

In the 3rd edition of the game, kobolds are distantly related to dragons, and are often found serving them as minions. Kobolds speak a version of the Draconic tongue, with a yipping accent. In their original appearance in the canon, kobolds were described as dog-like humanoids with ratlike tails, horns and hairless scaly skin, and were not associated with dragons. They were called goblinoids, although the word had a broader sense than it was later to acquire; in the Monstrous Compendium series and Monster Mythology the goblinoid category included not only goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears but also orcs, xvarts and gremlins. From the third edition, the term "goblinoid" has been reserved for goblins, hobgoblins, norkers, and similar creatures. Kobolds are much more explicitly reptilian in current editions, though they were egg-layers as far back as first edition AD&D. The Greyhawk Player's Guide said they have "certain features that are both reptilian and doglike."

If you've ever played Neverwinter Nights, all the kobolds there bark like little yappy dogs (a callback to the earlier editions).

ATHATH
2017-05-02, 09:51 AM
Perhaps a Mongrelfolk character?

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-02, 09:56 AM
Perhaps a Mongrelfolk character?

Are they canine humanoids?

Inevitability
2017-05-02, 11:40 AM
Are they canine humanoids?

Well, there's probably some anthropomorphic dog in their mix...

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-02, 12:01 PM
You can be a dog hengeyokai in hybrid form.

What's a hengeyokai? :confused:

Inevitability
2017-05-02, 02:16 PM
What's a hengeyokai? :confused:

It's a race from Oriental Adventures that was updated to have +0 LA later on. Basically, it's a race that can alter its shape to look like a human, a specific animal (with possible animals ranging from sparrows to badgers to crabs), or a hybrid form blending traits from both.

Hybrid form is described in the following way:

Hengeyokai can also assume a bipedal, animalistic ("hybrid") form. They stand on their hind legs (or similar appendages) to the height of their human form. The front paws, wings, or fins change into hands, capable of gripping and using normal equipment. The rest of the body retains the general appearance of the animal, including fur, feathers, wings, tail, and other characteristic features, but in the overall shape of a humanoid head and torso.

Seems to me like a dog hengeyokai in hybrid form would fit the bill. They'd have +2 constitution, -2 wisdom, which isn't half bad as far as wizard stats go.

Luccan
2017-05-02, 05:35 PM
It's a race from Oriental Adventures that was updated to have +0 LA later on. Basically, it's a race that can alter its shape to look like a human, a specific animal (with possible animals ranging from sparrows to badgers to crabs), or a hybrid form blending traits from both.

Seems to me like a dog hengeyokai in hybrid form would fit the bill. They'd have +2 constitution, -2 wisdom, which isn't half bad as far as wizard stats go.

Plus, their favored class is OA's wizard counterpart, so if the DM is evil and uses the XP penalty, he could run Wu Jen or probably convince to switch to wizard

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-02, 05:47 PM

Seems to me like a dog hengeyokai in hybrid form would fit the bill. They'd have +2 constitution, -2 wisdom, which isn't half bad as far as wizard stats go.hmmm, interesting. On dog hengeyokai is it then.

ATHATH
2017-05-02, 08:46 PM
Quick question: Why do you WANT to be an anthropomorphic dog? I'm just curious.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-02, 08:55 PM

Just want to change my character up a bit. The real truth is that anthropomorphic dog have inspired me from a card game called Boss Monster. There was one card that turn out to be so cute. Gandog The Golden. In making a character out of a card game which Inspired me to make. I'm making the character now so to speak.

Remuko
2017-05-02, 09:01 PM
Just want to change my character up a bit. The real truth is that anthropomorphic dog have inspired me from a card game called Boss Monster. There was one card that turn out to be so cute. Gandog The Golden. In making a character out of a card game which Inspired me to make. I'm making the character now so to speak.

Boss Monster is really fun.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-02, 09:10 PM
Boss Monster is really fun.

Is it. I'm making a lot of character sheet for based on Boss Monster but that beside the point. The point is that this golden retriever humanoid really inspired me so much. He does have a back story based on the card.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-02, 10:06 PM
OK I do my character sheet. Meet Gandog The Golden: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1197130

eggynack
2017-05-02, 10:17 PM
OK I do my character sheet. Meet Gandog The Golden: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1197130
Missing the bonus spell from int. Also, blurgh say I to two damage dealing cantrips. One might be too much. I dunno if I can call it a true list of cantrips without prestidigitation. Maybe probably definitely want ranks in spellcraft as well. Can probably sub it in for one of the non-arcana knowledges.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-02, 10:21 PM
Missing the bonus spell from int. Also, blurgh say I to two damage dealing cantrips. One might be too much. I dunno if I can call it a true list of cantrips without prestidigitation. Maybe probably definitely want ranks in spellcraft as well. Can probably sub it in for one of the non-arcana knowledges.
It's still a work in progress. I really want Gandog to be an illusionist.

eggynack
2017-05-02, 10:38 PM
It's still a work in progress. I really want Gandog to be an illusionist.
Didn't say there was an issue with ghost sound. Hell, something like prestidigitation probably closer matches the flavor of an illusionist than a couple of direct damage spells. Anything would, realistically. Might wanna make the second first level spell silent image, if that's your plan. It's an excellent spell.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-02, 10:46 PM
Didn't say there was an issue with ghost sound. Hell, something like prestidigitation probably closer matches the flavor of an illusionist than a couple of direct damage spells. Anything would, realistically. Might wanna make the second first level spell silent image, if that's your plan. It's an excellent spell.

I know.you're trying to help. I was just saying that all. :smile:

Luccan
2017-05-03, 01:17 AM
I know.you're trying to help. I was just saying that all. :smile:

If I may be so bold; he's missing mention of his alternate form ability (that lets him go from human appearance, to the hybrid that gives him his CON bonus and anthropomorphic dog appearance, to dog form)

Thurbane
2017-05-03, 03:05 AM
Also, blurgh say I to two damage dealing cantrips. One might be too much. I dunno if I can call it a true list of cantrips without prestidigitation.

I might be missing something, but don't Wizards begin play with ALL cantrips (apart from banned schools) in their spell books?

eggynack
2017-05-03, 03:26 AM
I might be missing something, but don't Wizards begin play with ALL cantrips (apart from banned schools) in their spell books?
Sure, but I was assuming this was a daily prep list. If it's a full spellbook, it needs more than one additional first level spell as well.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-03, 07:26 AM
If I may be so bold; he's missing mention of his alternate form ability (that lets him go from human appearance, to the hybrid that gives him his CON bonus and anthropomorphic dog appearance, to dog form)
Well that changes everything with Gandog's backstory then.

Luccan
2017-05-03, 11:05 AM
Well that changes everything with Gandog's backstory then.

Doesn't have too. If it's based on the card, he could have been hanging out with a wizard as a dog and when the wizard died, took up the wizarding life in honor of his friend or whatever. Alternately, you could just not have those abilities, I doubt your DM would rule against it if you asked to have fewer abilities for your character. OR he could have been a regular dog pet of a wizard that somehow became the creature he is today.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-03, 11:14 AM
Doesn't have too. If it's based on the card, he could have been hanging out with a wizard as a dog and when the wizard died, took up the wizarding life in honor of his friend or whatever. Alternately, you could just not have those abilities, I doubt your DM would rule against it if you asked to have fewer abilities for your character. OR he could have been a regular dog pet of a wizard that somehow became the creature he is today.
Oh so you're familiar of the card game and the description of the card, right?

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-03, 11:16 AM

A canister of mutagenic ooze, perhaps

Luccan
2017-05-03, 11:36 AM
Oh so you're familiar of the card game and the description of the card, right?

Nah, I just looked up the card, because how could I not when its called Gandog.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-03, 11:44 AM
Nah, I just looked up the card, because how could I not when its called Gandog.
Oh OK then. Anyway everything with you said is true about Gandog. He was a regular dog taken care of a wizard. After the wizard died, Gandog have taken up to be a wizard in honor of the deceased owner.

Luccan
2017-05-03, 11:50 AM
Oh OK then. Anyway everything with you said is true about Gandog. He was a regular dog taken care of a wizard. After the wizard died, Gandog have taken up to be a wizard in honor of the deceased owner.

Then I'd just rule out his transforming and stick with the hybrid form. Or at least get rid of the human part, I see no reason why he can't go from regular dog to hybrid and back (unless you don't think it works). Whatever works for you.

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-03, 12:01 PM
Then I'd just rule out his transforming and stick with the hybrid form. Or at least get rid of the human part, I see no reason why he can't go from regular dog to hybrid and back (unless you don't think it works). Whatever works for you.
Well Gandog can changed back into a human but he doesn't want to. :biggrin:

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-03, 04:43 PM
A canister of mutagenic ooze, perhaps

LOL! Good one! :smile:

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-04, 06:00 PM
OK I improved Gandog The Golden character sheet. Tell me if there something you want me to change and I'll fix it. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1197130

Luccan
2017-05-04, 08:42 PM
OK I improved Gandog The Golden character sheet. Tell me if there something you want me to change and I'll fix it. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1197130

You should know, Hengeyokai get -2 wisdom, not +2

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-04, 08:47 PM
You should know, Hengeyokai get -2 wisdom, not +2

Done. I made a mistake with +2 wisdom. His original wisdom score is 12. But thanks to the -2 wisdom modifier his Wisdom score is 10.

Luccan
2017-05-04, 08:51 PM
Done. I made a mistake with +2 wisdom. His original wisdom score is 12. But thanks to the -2 wisdom modifier his Wisdom score is 10.

He'll be alright. Gandog seems good to go

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-04, 09:00 PM
He'll be alright. Gandog seems good to go

Excellent. I read the card of Gandog back story and this is the real back story:

"Lost in a dungeon after his master was slain, this adorable pup seeks revenge. He does his best to imitate spells he's seen, but has no idea what he's doing."

Boozy
2017-05-04, 11:51 PM

Back when I played Rifts, Dog Boys were amazingly fun, both as a class concept, and the RP experience. For a good time with laughs sessions, playing up on the dog tropes is hilarious.

"Oh my god. Why the @#$% did you just put that in your mouth?!?!"

"Taste is directly correlated to receptivity in the olfactory nerves, of which mine are approximately 100,000 times more sensitive than yours. As a result, I am categorically superior to you in evaluating taste. Specifically, you are not a credible source as to what @#$% tastes like. I am, and it's amazing."

"Oh Hey, how you doing? I met you at that party.....it's "sniff sniff sniff", Becky, right?"

Bartmanhomer
2017-05-14, 07:29 PM
Maybe I should add Gandog human and real dog form as well just to make the game more interesting. :smile: