PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Last Minute (Human specific ability or maybe feat)

gooddragon1
2017-05-01, 08:56 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Westhart
2017-05-02, 06:55 AM
Well, a +2 to every ability score seems pretty powerful even if it is once a day...
...Also it would be a SU (most likely) which have a few ways to get more uses out of.
+2 to every score results in +1 to dex based AC, +1 to spell DC's, +1 hit and damage, along with more things I probably missed. This could get them through an encounter, and humans are already good choices for characters due to the bonus feat at 1st, and the bonus skill point every level...

fire_insideout
2017-05-02, 07:49 AM
I could see this becoming a feat chain.

Last minute strength:
Prereq: Diehard
Benefit: When HP is lower than their CON score (not modifier) or 10, whichever is higher, the character gains +2 to all ability scores until the end of the encounter. This ability is usable once per day.

Last stand:
Prereq: Last minute strength
Benefit: Once per day, when outnumbered by at least 2 to 1 by dangerous (as determined by the DM and player in tandem) foes, the character gains DR(--) equal to 1/4 of their character level and temporary hit points equal to their character level until the end of the encounter. At the end of the encounter, should the character survive, the character is exhausted.

Taking You with Me
Prereq: Last stand
Benefit: Once per day, when reduced to 0 or less HP, the character can as a free action, activate this feat. For CON mod rounds the character ignores all damage and gains +4 to STR and CHA as he brings up his final strength of body and mind to take his foes with him to hell. After the duration expires the character automatically drops to -9 HP and is unconscious.

Westhart
2017-05-02, 08:08 AM

Last minute strength:
Benefit: When HP is lower than their CON score (not modifier) or 10, whichever is higher, the character gains +2 to all ability scores until the end of the encounter. This ability is usable once per day.

Just to watch out for high con and low level I would keep it HD as the OP had.

Last stand:
Benefit: Once per day, when outnumbered by at least 2 to 1 by dangerous (as determined by the DM and player in tandem) foes, the character gains DR(--) equal to 1/4 of their character level and temporary hit points equal to their character level until the end of the encounter. At the end of the encounter, should the character survive, the character is exhausted.

Maybe instead of making them agree (which will low game play), make it 2 enemies whose CR=ECL +2?

Taking You with Me
Benefit: Once per day, when reduced to 0 or less HP, the character can as a free action, activate this feat. For CON mod rounds the character ignores all damage and gains +4 to STR and CHA as he brings up his final strength of body and mind to take his foes with him to hell. After the duration expires the character automatically drops to -9 HP and is unconscious.
By fluff, should be reduced to -10 hp and dead, "taking you with me."
Otherwise I would have something to ensure it took me just below 0 hp and be in a rage, then activate it... A raging barbarian with +4 str, for CON modifier rounds? Put this on orc hordes :smalltongue:

fire_insideout
2017-05-02, 08:28 AM
Just to watch out for high con and low level I would keep it HD as the OP had.
Which makes it nigh unusable for higher level play, and if you're spending two feats at a low level on this I wouldn't mind too much. Diehard is a trap feat that no one will (or should) ever take unless it is a prereq.

Maybe instead of making them agree (which will low game play), make it 2 enemies whose CR=ECL +2?
Sure, the balance of the trigger can definitely be refined.

By fluff, should be reduced to -10 hp and dead, "taking you with me."
Otherwise I would have something to ensure it took me just below 0 hp and be in a rage, then activate it... A raging barbarian with +4 str, for CON modifier rounds? Put this on orc hordes :smalltongue:

Nah, the trope is quite clear here. If it is a 'taking you with me' battle between a hero and a villain the hero almost always prevails by some fortuitous event or by skill, while the villan almost always dies. In the case of this feat, leaving someone at -9 and unconscious allows the hero's party to come to his aid, while the villain will almost surely perish (unless there is a contingency crafted for that very moment, in which case we might have a recurring villain, which I would consider a bonus.).

I'm also not a fan of mechanics that kills you outright, be it feats, spells or classes. As written this leaves you in a dire situation and as such will only be used when you are absolutely sure that there will be some way you can be healed immediately after the duration expires or when you're sure that the character will die anyway. This is unless you can be brought back from the dead with no or low cost at which point 'last stands' doesn't make much sense anyway, unless you're facing some horror which can eradicate you so completely that not even wish can bring you back.

Westhart
2017-05-02, 09:44 AM
Which makes it nigh unusable for higher level play, and if you're spending two feats at a low level on this I wouldn't mind too much. Diehard is a trap feat that no one will (or should) ever take unless it is a prereq.

Sure, the balance of the trigger can definitely be refined.

Nah, the trope is quite clear here. If it is a 'taking you with me' battle between a hero and a villain the hero almost always prevails by some fortuitous event or by skill, while the villan almost always dies. In the case of this feat, leaving someone at -9 and unconscious allows the hero's party to come to his aid, while the villain will almost surely perish (unless there is a contingency crafted for that very moment, in which case we might have a recurring villain, which I would consider a bonus.).

I'm also not a fan of mechanics that kills you outright, be it feats, spells or classes. As written this leaves you in a dire situation and as such will only be used when you are absolutely sure that there will be some way you can be healed immediately after the duration expires or when you're sure that the character will die anyway. This is unless you can be brought back from the dead with no or low cost at which point 'last stands' doesn't make much sense anyway, unless you're facing some horror which can eradicate you so completely that not even wish can bring you back.
alright good points :smallbiggrin:

gooddragon1
2017-05-03, 04:43 AM

Last minute strength:

Last stand:

Taking You with Me

The first two look good, but why charisma on the last feat?

fire_insideout
2017-05-03, 06:49 AM
The first two look good, but why charisma on the last feat?

I guess it's because of how I view Charisma: the raw strength of the mind. I've always mapped the attributes like so:
Str <-> Cha
Con <-> Wis
Dex <-> Int

The feat was intended to strengthen the character both in mind and body ("brings up his final strength of body and mind to take his foes with him to hell."), but I can see that it's confusing for someone who aren't using the same mapping of the attributes as I am.

Another version could be:
When selecting this feat choose one physical and one mental attribute, this selection can be changed through 24 hours of meditation. Once per day, when reduced to 0 or less HP, the character can as a free action, activate this feat. For CON mod rounds the character ignores all damage and gains +4 to his chosen attributes as he brings up his final strength of body and mind to take his foes with him to hell. The duration is based on the character CON mod score before activating this feat. After the duration expires the character automatically drops to -9 HP and is unconscious.

It's a little more powerful, but also interesting to a larger group of possible character concepts.