PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Least Wish: Getting Prestidigitation At-Will

The_Iron_Lord
2017-05-01, 09:18 PM
Hello Playground!

As the title says, I am looking for a way to get Prestidigitation at will... Preferably at level 3 or lower. I was creating a Harry Potter wizard, and I realized many of their fluff spells that are honestly mechanically useless would be easily imitated by Prestidigitation; thus, I ask the playground how to accomplish this goal

Yes, I know that PF has unlimited cantrips; My DM and I don't use PF and likely never will.

Thank you,
The_Iron_Lord

Yogibear41
2017-05-01, 09:26 PM
Level 18 Hexblades get Prestidigitation at will using

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x

I know thats far from what you asked but its something.

Also there is a third party class called Hedge Wizard by Mongoose, that casts of the wizard list eventually getting up to level 8 spells, but also gets unlimited cantrips at level 9, and an absurd number per day before that level.

There is also the innate spell feat that can give you a spell at will, but I believe you would have to be over level 10 before you could apply it to even level 0 spells.

Zancloufer
2017-05-01, 09:27 PM
Custom Command Word Activated item of Prestidigitation requires 900 GP and Craft Wounderous Items (3rd level crafting feat). Just make it a wand and the command word what ever spell/cliche saying you want.

rel
2017-05-01, 11:00 PM
Also consider buying a regular wand of prestidigitation for 375gp.
Remember prestidigitation lasts an entire hour after you cast it. Taking it as one of your cantrips for the day and keeping the wand in reserve gives you a lot of time as a conjurer of cheap tricks.

Inevitability
2017-05-02, 02:45 AM
Innate Spell works, though it's pretty high level.

Uncle Pine
2017-05-02, 03:46 AM
Also consider buying a regular wand of prestidigitation for 375gp.
Remember prestidigitation lasts an entire hour after you cast it. Taking it as one of your cantrips for the day and keeping the wand in reserve gives you a lot of time as a conjurer of cheap tricks.
A wand of sanctum extended prestidigitation will last 2 hours/charge and still cost 375 gp.

EndocrineBandit
2017-05-02, 04:23 AM
There's a planetouched halfling that I think is descended from Djinn that has prestidigitation at will. Lemme check which one. Yeah, D’hin’ni (descended from a Djinn and a Lightfoot Halfing Dragon Magazine 351 p54

Bullet06320
2017-05-02, 04:45 AM
Magical Training Player's Guide to Faerun, p. 41
that gets you 3 oth level spells per day, not quite at will, but casting prestidigitation 3/day should suffice

Florian
2017-05-02, 04:54 AM
Yes, I know that PF has unlimited cantrips; My DM and I don't use PF and likely never will.

Your problem. Get over it.

AOKost
2017-05-02, 05:30 AM
Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting has a feat IIRC called Magic Meister that allows you to make a spellcheck to retain the spell slot you just cast. It's 3rd edition. Might be worth a note.

Pleh
2017-05-02, 06:09 AM
Your problem. Get over it.

This post alone gives me the best reason I could imagine to never want to play PF ever again. You could have just ignored the thread altogether and been more help to the OP than you were with this post.

IIRC, I believe 5e also has at-will cantrips, but that's probably not what the OP is looking for either.

A quick Flurry of Google Fu turned up another thread on this forum asking the same question.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php

That thread mentions you can have a slotless magic item for double the cost, like a magic tattoo or a graft.

They also mention Innate Spell from Complete Arcane, though it would be feat intensive.

Arkhios
2017-05-02, 06:45 AM
In all honesty, when I played 3.5, I always thought cantrips/orisons having a daily limit was silly, and changing them all to at-will was a very wise decision from PF's part.

So, I get it you (and your DM) don't like PF overall. But, what's stopping you from borrowing how cantrips/orisons work in PF and not taking anything else from it?

Just change all of them to at-will. If there's a new cantrip in PF that 3.5 doesn't have, just don't take it. For balance reasons, I would still however swap Minor Cure Wounds with Stabilize (instead of curing 1 hit point, you cause a dying creature to stabilize.) and Minor Inflict Wounds with Bleed (instead of dealing 1 damage, you cause a stabilized creature to resume dying). Those orisons are doing effectively the same things. If a character is dying, curing it by 1 hit point stabilizes it. If a stabilized but unconscious (at 0 hp or less) character is dealt even 1 damage, it resumes dying.

The changes wouldn't be all that huge in the big picture. Even the rare few damaging cantrips are just sad; they'd hardly make the game turn upside down.

Florian
2017-05-02, 07:18 AM
@Pleh:

You know, 3.5 trained you on a routine: You want something, you´ve got to make an intelligent investment, you earn something.

Now the problem is, you didn´t earn something when you get something in return with a worth of zero.

So yes, it´s ego-gratifying when you pull up some trick like this and ponder on how you did it, but for what?

Pleh
2017-05-02, 11:18 AM
3.5 didn't train me. It offered me a deal. The_Iron_Lord has a specific Roleplaying intent for at will prestidigitation, so it has value. The fact that they could houserule it to get it for free is a trivial solution that the OP specifically said they weren't interested in.

There is a philosophical difference between being given something for free and buying it for yourself. Even if it is marketed to you as worthless, that doesn't mean it can't be made valuable. Iron Chef Optimization makes a game out of stuff like this, buying bad investments deliberately to create new sources of profit.

The OP specifically wanted to disregard the PF solution and they aren't wrong to do so. They came looking for help finding something most people don't even want, but they said at the outset they weren't looking for a free handout. They want to work out a deal. Sometimes the satisfaction from making the deal is the profit you are seeking more than the thing you are purchasing.

And yes, it's ego satisfying to drop this thread a useless comment and express your disdain for it, but for what?

Jowgen
2017-05-02, 02:25 PM
There's a planetouched halfling that I think is descended from Djinn that has prestidigitation at will. Lemme check which one. Yeah, D’hin’ni (descended from a Djinn and a Lightfoot Halfing Dragon Magazine 351 p54

Correction: it's Dragon 350.

rel
2017-05-02, 10:27 PM
In all honesty, when I played 3.5, I always thought cantrips/orisons having a daily limit was silly, and changing them all to at-will was a very wise decision from PF's part.

I really like the limit on cantrips. It fits better with the rest of the magic system and when you finally get permanency or craft a custom item your character feels like it has grown into something stronger in a cool and natural way.