PDA

View Full Version : Can I bottle a clinging breathweapon?

tedcahill2
2017-05-01, 09:49 PM
I'm currently playing a Dragon Shaman and I have the Clinging Breath Metabreath feat.

Can I breath a clinging breath into a flask and cork it to make my own alchemist fire?

Necroticplague
2017-05-01, 10:07 PM
No, you can't, for quiet a few reasons. The most obvious is the very short duration of Clinging Breath.

tedcahill2
2017-05-01, 10:09 PM
No, you can't, for quiet a few reasons. The most obvious is the very short duration of Clinging Breath.

A) Clinging Breath can be applied numerous times to last longer.
B) If I cork it maybe the fire won't go out.

Necroticplague
2017-05-01, 10:20 PM
A) Clinging Breath can be applied numerous times to last longer.
B) If I cork it maybe the fire won't go out.

A. Yes, but this also extends the breath's cooldown, rendering the excercise pointless (since making it last another round would add another round of cooldown, so you're not really gaining anything from this)

B. 1. Where does it even remotely imply that is possible?
B. 2. That's the exact opposite way fire works. Corking a flame in an airtight container is basically one of the best ways to snuff out a flame.

tedcahill2
2017-05-01, 10:42 PM
A. Yes, but this also extends the breath's cooldown, rendering the excercise pointless (since making it last another round would add another round of cooldown, so you're not really gaining anything from this)

B. 1. Where does it even remotely imply that is possible?
B. 2. That's the exact opposite way fire works. Corking a flame in an airtight container is basically one of the best ways to snuff out a flame.

It works for alchemists fire. (also, I know it isn't allowed by the rules, I just thought it was a funny idea)

torrasque666
2017-05-01, 10:49 PM
It works for alchemists fire. (also, I know it isn't allowed by the rules, I just thought it was a funny idea)

Alchemists fire is more like a substance that reacts violently when depressurized. Its not a bottle of fire. Its like a bottle of Greek Fire.

rel
2017-05-01, 10:55 PM
Actually since the D&D world is comprised of 4 elements alchemists fire could well be refined elemental fire.

If you want to make your own alchemical fire breath flasks I suggest making that option into a custom feat.
You take the feat and get a certain number of throwable fire breath things. Use the alchemist class from pathfinder as inspiration.

Necroticplague
2017-05-02, 06:43 AM

No, it doesn't. Alchemist's fire isn't literally bottle fire.

Alchemist’s fire is a mix of several volatile liquids that ignite when exposed to air.
The real-life term for this is Pyrophoric.

Sian
2017-05-02, 07:00 AM
Players Handbook Explicitly calls out Alchemist Fire as

"Alchemist's Fire is sticky, adhesive substance that ignites when exposed to air"