PDA

View Full Version : Is there a spell that can do this?

Yogibear41
2017-05-01, 10:20 PM
Is there a spell that can locate an unknown individual, a group of unknown individuals, or an unknown location such as a temple, dedicated to a particular deity/religion.

For example say I have a character who is specifically looking for any and all followers of Pelor. For the sake of this I know they are out there but for whatever reason they are hiding out and their locations are unknown. Can I cast a particular spell and have it locate or at least point me in the right direction of these followers of Pelor, or a nearby temple of Pelor. For the sake of this argument I myself am not a follower of Pelor so the Find Temple spell from spell compendium will not work.

As a side question, say I have an Artificer buddy who also does not follower Pelor, say I have him make a wand of the Find Temple spell from the Spell Compendium, would it be possible to emulate being a follower of Pelor with a UMD check and therefore use it to track down a temple of Pelor?

flappeercraft
2017-05-01, 11:55 PM
You could use the Identify Transgressor spell (Cleric 4, BoVD) to get a name and use a divination spell to find that person. Identify transgressor basically you ask a question that can be answered with a single name and then it has a 70% +1 per CL to give you the right name but you know if you got it right. With that you could ask "Who is the nearest Cleric of Pelor" or "Who is the nearest person that can tell us where the nearest temple of pelor is" and with that you get the name. With the name you can get some work done the traditional way, location divinations such as contact other plane tl find him/her/it

atemu1234
2017-05-02, 12:12 AM
You could use the Identify Transgressor spell (Cleric 4, BoVD) to get a name and use a divination spell to find that person. Identify transgressor basically you ask a question that can be answered with a single name and then it has a 70% +1 per CL to give you the right name but you know if you got it right. With that you could ask "Who is the nearest Cleric of Pelor" or "Who is the nearest person that can tell us where the nearest temple of pelor is" and with that you get the name. With the name you can get some work done the traditional way, location divinations such as contact other plane tl find him/her/it

I wonder how badly it could go with a wrong answer. "Oh, Pelor? I thought you said Hexor, my bad. I sent you to the nearest temple of Hexor, sorry about the blood golems."

flappeercraft
2017-05-02, 09:50 AM
I wonder how badly it could go with a wrong answer. "Oh, Pelor? I thought you said Hexor, my bad. I sent you to the nearest temple of Hexor, sorry about the blood golems."

With Identify Transgressor it specifies in the spell that you know if the answer given is wrong

Yogibear41
2017-05-02, 10:15 AM
The Ironic thing is this spell is likely to cause all kinds of problems for the character I am currently playing in a game. summoned a pit fiend via the sacrifice rules on my LE paladin and use it to destroy an enemy village, followed up with a commune spell from an imp familiar a few weeks later and the enemy did not currently know I was the one that summoned it, now all the enemy has to do is cast a 4th level spell to find out it was me :smallfrown:

atemu1234
2017-05-02, 01:55 PM
The Ironic thing is this spell is likely to cause all kinds of problems for the character I am currently playing in a game. summoned a pit fiend via the sacrifice rules on my LE paladin and use it to destroy an enemy village, followed up with a commune spell from an imp familiar a few weeks later and the enemy did not currently know I was the one that summoned it, now all the enemy has to do is cast a 4th level spell to find out it was me :smallfrown:

Well, you have a bit of time, become Vecna-Blooded! Then divinations don't work on you.