PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales Share your PnP Tales

Hagashager
2017-05-01, 10:57 PM
I didn't see a thread like this searching around, so I figured I'd start one myself.

Share your stories about epic successes and blunders here!

My absolute favorite story was in a Black Crusade campaign I was in at the end of college.

Context:
I am playing Mazirian The Magician: unbound Psyker who is Tseench aligned. In our party is a Noise-Marine aligned to Slaneesh. A Tseenchian cultist, a Khornate soldier and Nurgle Plague Marine. We are on a space-hulk that was, until recently, a haven for undivided chaos. We are sent into find out why it is starting to fracture into different factions aligned with each God.

The party has encountered a locked door.

Now, the practical thing to do here is to have the Tseenchian cultist use some rogue skills to pick the lock. BUT NO, MAZIRIAN THE MAGICIAN IS TOO GREAT TO BE LAID-LOW BY SUCH PETTY BARRIERS. THIS IS A JOB BEST SUITED TO A GREAT AND POWERFUL SORCERER KING!

I *push* Kinetic manipulation. In Black Crusade any Psyker worth his salt pushes everything, if you're not pushing all the time ,you're doing it wrong, period.

I roll on the psychic phenomenon table, I get a 78, which means I have to roll on the Perils of the Warp. I role a 92.
In an attempt to open a door with my mind I just opened a portal to Hell. It gets worse however, apparently we had been stalked by a Grey-Knight. When I opened a portal what steps through is a Bloodthirster...who is then sliced in half by a Grey Knight.

"WHO AMONG YOU IS MAZIRIAN THE MAGICIAN!?"

*everyone points to me*

"SUFFER NOT THE WITCH TO LIVE!" The Knight charges at me.
I immediately push doom-bolt. I roll on Phenomena, and get an 80, go figure. I roll on Perils and get the option to roll twice. I roll the option to be rendered mute, and a 95. 95, as it turns out, is a consciousness transfer. GM rolls his dice, and I switch places with the Tseenchian Cultist. As you can imagine, that player is not a happy camper. Thankfully though, he's able to use my psychic powers now.
except he can't, because my body's vocal cords are muted. The Grey Knight charges at my body, throws him across the room and knocks him out. The Knight then turns to me. He charges at the cultist.

The Cultist was not having a good night.
The Grey Knight cleaves me in half. The consciousness transfer ends immediately. The cultists dies and I get off with a couple broken ribs and a concussion.

That was, without question, the absolute funniest thing that has every happened in a game, ever. Even the player who was the Cultist couldn't help but laugh. It was so ridiculous that it's become a major story now, and we totally love it.

So what's your best story. I'll post more later.

Griffith!
2017-05-02, 05:40 AM
This was in a Forgotten Realms campaign a few years back. I was playing a mulhorandi necromancer named Kashan Krowes. An atheist who hated elves, neutral evil, his only goal was to create the perfect monster, so he was traveling with this group to collect monster parts. Also in this group were a cleric and fighter team, both slavers in the name of Beshaba, an apprentice Red Wizard eager to prove himself to his master, and a ranger - a naive young eleven maiden who truly believed there was good in everyone.

About ten sessions in, and I'd alienated almost the entire party. The slavers didn't like him because he'd publicly denounced their god, the Red Wizard resented him for his skill in magic. The only party member that still liked him was the relentlessly upbeat elf - who he hated based on nothing but his own prejudice.

The campaign lasted for months like this, the group always bickering and barely keeping it together (this was all talked out among the group and everyone was alright with it - it never spilled into OOC or PVP) with the only person willing to put up with Kashan being the elf. No matter what he called her or what he did, she would check on him every single night they were camping.

It turned out that the group had been manipulated into a grand Red Wizard conspiracy, and after losing the artifact we'd spent in-game months chasing to our manipulators, the group collectively decided to rebel.

We entered a Red Wizard tower, fought our way to the sanctum at it's heart, and interrupted the ritual taking place there. Unfortunately, our interruption sent the whole thing spiraling off into a mess of wild magic and accidental abberations. The group was overwhelmed and everyone save Kashan was down to their last legs.

By this time, Kashan had grown to despise all of them, except the elf. And even though he was standing right next to the door and had every chance to flee, that's not what he did. I passed a note to the GM, and we had a private conversation. In this game, the GM had a houserule - when a player character is close to death, they can break the rules of the game and do something genuinely awesome, but in return, that character is dead with no chance at resurrection - not even via wish. He called it the Epic Death rule, and to date nobody had opted for it.

Well, Kashan wasn't close to death but that wasn't the point - the elf was. And I had almost my full complement of spells at my disposal. So suddenly, combat stops and with the group looking on, Kashan unleashes everything he had left into a massive shield spell, pushing back the aberrations and magic bursts. He orders the group to flee as his body slowly breaks down, silver fire spilling from the cracks forming on his skin. The elf pauses for a moment in the door, but he throws one final insult, and she finally flees.

Kashan dies in an explosion of pure magical energy, leveling the wizard's tower, and still, only the elf cares. This event actually canonizes her belief that there is good in everyone, since she believes Kashan sacrificed himself for the good of the group.

I rejoin the campaign in the next session as a very different Thayan knight currently in exile for killing his own master. But Kashan has left an impact on the group. The Red Wizard continues his research. The fighter starts making decisions because "Kashan would have done it". And the elf wouldn't stop inundating our new knight with tales of the Necromancer that was.

Hilariously to me, these stories were all prickish things Kashan had said or done, somehow reinterpreted into something positive.

At the end of the campaign, the group is fighting the big bad, who is trying to harness the souls trapped in the Wall of the Faithless in the abyss to power a world-ending McGuffin. Everything is going great - the Flesh Golem 2.0 based on Kashan's research is causing havoc, the knight and fighter are holding back the Red Wizard's soldiers, the cleric is banishing or turning anything that spills from the hellrift.

Our Red Wizard and elf are personally engaged with the boss, throwing spells and peppering him with twin-blade flurries. And then the worst happens - he manages to hit the elf with a save or die spell. She rolls a one.

And then a hand reaches through the rift, grabbing the boss by the wrist. A moment later emerges our boy Kashan - freed from the Wall by a combination of the ritual and his very, very intense rage. He grapples the boss and holds him in place for the Red Wizard's onslaught, finally breaking his concentration and dealing massive damage. The fighter and knight both break from engagement - the knight getting away free, the fighter taking a pretty good hit to the back - and charge the boss.

He falls under the second attack, and as he does his soul is torn from his body and left in the hands of Kashan Krowes.

Krowes drags him with him back through the closing rift, but not before throwing a nod at his former companions. The cleric is later able to raise the elf, who is not at all diminished to hear her favorite necromancer ended up in the abyss.

The campaign ended there, but it's still my all-time favorite. It's one of the few times I felt like my character had a meaningful and important impact on the story.