PDA

View Full Version : Conduit of Life

Blackplaga
2017-05-02, 03:11 AM
So stumbling across Conduit of Life and me being a former rules lawyer . . . my knee jerk reaction of it not stating its discharged for the first part means that its only discharged on the second part. As written versus as intended blah blah blah.

The reading from the pdf is

Duration: 10 minutes/level or until discharged
The next time you use a class feature or racial ability to channel positive energy (such as turn undead or lay on hands), you also heal a number of points of damage to yourself equal to 2d10+1/caster level (maximum 10).
If you are already subject to an ongoing healing effect (such as vigorSC, or if you receive a cure spell while conduit of life is still in effect, this spell instead heals a number of points of damage equal to 3d8+1/caster level and it is discharged.

So for a paladin this could buff their healing with Lay on Hands from whatever their lay on hands is to spending one point of it and effectively casting cure moderate wounds with every single point they have, within the duration obviously?

Uncle Pine
2017-05-02, 03:34 AM
Even if it's not specified that the spell is discharged right after you use a class feature or racial ability to channel positive energy, the spell specifies you only heal for 2d10+1/CL the next time you do so, which means it only activates once regardless of how many times you lay on hands during the duration of the spell, or whether the spell is discharged after the first trigger. In other words, "the next time you do X" is different from "whenever you do X until the duration expires".

Blackplaga
2017-05-02, 04:22 AM
I know its just a knee jerk reaction to having read so much. But also to be fair the crown spells specify that they end when discharged so going with that same mentality spells wouldn't end when discharged cause they don't say so :tongue:
Maybe its just a foolish hope that somehow you could make paladin healing a worthwhile effect rather than the nice little extra bit that it is.

Uncle Pine
2017-05-02, 04:27 AM
The spell isn't discharged after you use lay on hand once because it doesn't say so: it just stops boosting your future lay on hands uses... Because it says so.
As written, you can benefits from the first effect of the spell and the second one afterwards since the former doesn't discharge Conduit of Life.

Blackplaga
2017-05-03, 01:52 AM
Ohhhh I hand't thought of it like that. So having multiple sources of things like lay on hands would work but than you end it with that final bit. INteresting.

Uncle Pine
2017-05-03, 02:51 AM
So having multiple sources of things like lay on hands would work
Just to make sure I made myself clear: no, it doesn't.
Let's say you're a 15th level Paladin that casts Conduit of life and then proceeds to turn undead twice, lay on hand for 5 points, turn undead again, use another class feature that channels positive energy and then cast cure light wound on himself. The following happens:
- the first turn undead heals you for 2d10+10
- the second turn undead works normally
- lay on hand heals you for 5
- the third turn undead works normally
- the other class feature works normally
- cure light wounds heals you for 1d8+5 and then discharges conduit of life, healing you for another 3d8+15.