PDA

View Full Version : dimensional anchor: a few doubts about

dehro
2017-05-02, 06:15 AM
I'm going to nitpick a little, because the wording of the spell seems to give a little room for a number of interpretations (what's new?).. but maybe it's all in my mind.

Forms of movement barred by a dimensional anchor include astral projection, blink, dimension door, ethereal jaunt, etherealness, gate, maze, plane shift, shadow walk, teleport, and similar spell-like or psionic abilities.
The spell also prevents the use of a gate or teleportation circle for the duration of the spell.

Bolded and underlined by me, italics as per original text.
My questions relate to the bolded (by me) part.
Does it refer to the spells or the physical manifestations that come with the spells?
In other words, someone casts dimensional anchor on me. It says I cannot "use" gate or teleportation circle; so I can't cast the spells? Or does it mean I also cannot walk through a portal that's already there? what if it's a physical portal and not just the manifestation of someone's spell? Can I use it then?
Or does not being able to "use" the spell mean I can still cast it but just not go through it? Could I cast the spell for others to walk through? If the spell is cast on me and I try walking through an established portal..what happens?
Does it bounce me back or does the portal turn off/implode/anything else?
I reckon that last circumstance is DM ruled and circumstancial, but if it has been debated/deliberated upon, what's the consensus?

Morcleon
2017-05-02, 06:30 AM
I'm going to nitpick a little, because the wording of the spell seems to give a little room for a number of interpretations (what's new?).. but maybe it's all in my mind.

Bolded and underlined by me, italics as per original text.
My questions relate to the bolded (by me) part.
Does it refer to the spells or the physical manifestations that come with the spells?
In other words, someone casts dimensional anchor on me. It says I cannot "use" gate or teleportation circle; so I can't cast the spells? Or does it mean I also cannot walk through a portal that's already there? what if it's a physical portal and not just the manifestation of someone's spell? Can I use it then?
Or does not being able to "use" the spell mean I can still cast it but just not go through it? Could I cast the spell for others to walk through? If the spell is cast on me and I try walking through an established portal..what happens?
Does it bounce me back or does the portal turn off/implode/anything else?
I reckon that last circumstance is DM ruled and circumstancial, but if it has been debated/deliberated upon, what's the consensus?

You can cast the spells fine, since the casting does not necessitate any extradimensional travel. Actually stepping through these does not transport you, however.

For teleportation circle, if you stand in the circle, nothing really happens. You may see other people being teleported, but you won't be. For gate, you'd likely treat the gate as not there at all, letting you walk through it and not go through. For most portals, there's usually a backing of some sort, either a wall or mirror or door or something, so you'd hit that and bounce off.

dehro
2017-05-02, 06:58 AM
But other people could benefit from my casting on account of not being the target of the dimensional anchor, correct?
Edit: what about teleportation? Can I cast it and send others away with it?

Jowgen
2017-05-02, 07:35 AM
But other people could benefit from my casting on account of not being the target of the dimensional anchor, correct?
Edit: what about teleportation? Can I cast it and send others away with it?

Absolutely. It just "blocks extradimensional travel" for the target. The simple casting of Conjuration [Teleportation] spells itself, or activation of similar effects, is in no way impeded. It's only your own crossing of planar boundries that's barred.

KillianHawkeye
2017-05-02, 12:40 PM
I agree that you'd be able to cast the spells just fine, and that other people would be able to benefit from them.

As for teleport and others like it, I never really thought about the implications of that. The spell's targets are "Personal and touched objects/willing creatures", so I agree with Jowgen that it would simply leave the one who is anchored and take the others. This opens up a lot of interesting uses that never occurred to me before, like intentionally hitting yourself with dimensional anchor so that you can send someone away without going yourself, even using teleport spells offensively.

Psyren
2017-05-02, 01:07 PM
When you Gate something in, they are the ones actually using the interface, not you. So an anchor on you doesn't stop them from coming to you.

For a Teleportation Circle, the user is whoever steps on it.

Duelpersonality
2017-05-02, 02:11 PM
This has got me thinking about a well hidden lair. Have the entrance hidden behind a permanent portal, with the portal leading somewhere for public displays, but keep the really good stuff in the hidden room and use dimensional anchor to get in.

Psyren
2017-05-02, 02:40 PM
This has got me thinking about a well hidden lair. Have the entrance hidden behind a permanent portal, with the portal leading somewhere for public displays, but keep the really good stuff in the hidden room and use dimensional anchor to get in.

You can also do this as an evil cult. Have the only entrance to your inner sanctum be behind a permanent portal to Hell. Then use Dimensional Anchor + Unhallow; anyone who is not a member of your faith (i.e. not a fellow cultist) will go to Hell, while your fellow cultists get to ignore the portal and step "through" to the room beyond.

dehro
2017-05-02, 04:11 PM
This opens up a lot of interesting uses that never occurred to me before, like intentionally hitting yourself with dimensional anchor so that you can send someone away without going yourself, even using teleport spells offensively.
my thought exactly :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2017-05-02, 04:34 PM
I agree that you'd be able to cast the spells just fine, and that other people would be able to benefit from them.

As for teleport and others like it, I never really thought about the implications of that. The spell's targets are "Personal and touched objects/willing creatures", so I agree with Jowgen that it would simply leave the one who is anchored and take the others. This opens up a lot of interesting uses that never occurred to me before, like intentionally hitting yourself with dimensional anchor so that you can send someone away without going yourself, even using teleport spells offensively.

The problem is that Teleport specifies you're "bringing" creatures and objects with you, and even that they must be in contact with you (if indirectly.) So if you can't go along for the ride, I'd rule that the spell simply fails.

KillianHawkeye
2017-05-02, 06:07 PM
The problem is that Teleport specifies you're "bringing" creatures and objects with you, and even that they must be in contact with you (if indirectly.) So if you can't go along for the ride, I'd rule that the spell simply fails.

I guess that's fair.

ksbsnowowl
2017-05-03, 12:58 AM

You can also do this as an evil cult. Have the only entrance to your inner sanctum be behind a permanent portal to Hell. Then use Dimensional Anchor + Unhallow; anyone who is not a member of your faith (i.e. not a fellow cultist) will go to Hell, while your fellow cultists get to ignore the portal and step "through" to the room beyond.

Very interesting idea. Of course, it requires the interpretation that an anchored foe merely passes through the space of the gate as if it weren't there. A DM could just as easily treat the gate as if it were an impenetrable plane for the dimensionally anchored creature (which happens to be the interpretation I went with when it came up 7 levels ago). Interesting to see the implications of going the other way with it. The Gate spell itself does allow you to pass right through the space if you were to try and come at it from the back... intriguing...