PDA

View Full Version : Drow Racial feat...

Malifice
2017-05-02, 08:03 AM
...that gives magic resistance.

Too strong?

A lot of Str, Dex and Con saves (traps, poison, getting pused and grappled, concentration, disease etc) dont rely on magic to hurt you.

And you still have 2 (maybe 3) good saves as you progress anyway, giving magic resistance diminishing returns on your poor saves.

Thoughts?

Gnomes already get this for Int, Wis and Cha saves vs magic (Int and Cha suck, but Wisdom is the balls).

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-02, 08:20 AM
Just off the cuff, I'd say it's acceptable power-wise, but it'd be desperately boring. Feats should give players something active that they can choose to do - a spell to cast, a manoeuvre to use, a new bonus action or reaction. Plain old magic resistance isn't going to be the first pick on anyone's list, I wouldn't have thought.

Malifice
2017-05-02, 08:36 AM
Just off the cuff, I'd say it's acceptable power-wise, but it'd be desperately boring. Feats should give players something active that they can choose to do - a spell to cast, a manoeuvre to use, a new bonus action or reaction. Plain old magic resistance isn't going to be the first pick on anyone's list, I wouldn't have thought.

You could make the same argument about the Resistance feat.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-02, 08:55 AM
You could make the same argument about the Resistance feat.

You mean Resilient? The passivity of that one is redeemed by being a half feat, I reckon. A better comparison is Tough - have you ever seen anyone prioritise Tough in their build? I've never seen anyone even take it. Numbers-wise it looks fine, but it's just not active enough to catch people's interest.

Malifice
2017-05-02, 09:05 AM
You mean Resilient? The passivity of that one is redeemed by being a half feat, I reckon. A better comparison is Tough - have you ever seen anyone prioritise Tough in their build? I've never seen anyone even take it. Numbers-wise it looks fine, but it's just not active enough to catch people's interest.

Reckon Drow PCs would be all over magic resistance.

Different feats do appeal to different playstyles (even if there is a lot of opitimisation groupthink).

I know a ton of players that actually prefer flat bonuses and passive abilities over fiddly extra abilities or gimmicks they can do. Im like that with a lot of video games. Ill take the passive bonus to HP over the *hold back on the dpad while sprinting and pushing kick and jump at the same time to execute move*

The champion archetype pretty much sells itself on that basis.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-02, 09:15 AM
Different feats do appeal to different playstyles (even if there is a lot of opitimisation groupthink).

I know a ton of players that actually prefer flat bonuses and passive abilities over fiddly extra abilities or gimmicks they can do. Im like that with a lot of video games. Ill take the passive bonus to HP over the *hold back on the dpad while sprinting and pushing kick and jump at the same time to execute move*

The champion archetype pretty much sells itself on that basis.

Yeah, I can't disagree with that.

I guess, if your players want this, it should be fine - like I said, I'm not too concerned about the balance.

Malifice
2017-05-02, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I can't disagree with that.

I guess, if your players want this, it should be fine - like I said, I'm not too concerned about the balance.

Anecdotally, 'Magic' saves are probably around 60 percent of all saves made. A lot of Concentration saves are needed to hold spells alone (Dex saves for traps and Con saves for poisons are also quite common).

Ive already got an invocation (Warlock, pact of the chain, 5th level) that lets your familiar grant spell resistance while within 10' of you (and it buffs the familiar up to = ranger companion).

Allowing Drow PCs to pick it up as a feat wont be broken. I cant see a ton of Players rushing out to make Drow all of a sudden just for the feat.

Level2intern
2017-05-02, 11:14 AM
I think it's fine. If you feel it's too strong you could put limits on it. Like they must be in dim light or darkness. If you feel it's too weak give them a +1 Cha as well.

I was honestly expecting this thread to be about removing the daylight penalty. In 3e there was a feat called daylight adaptation that removed the penalty. My group ported this over to 5e and it seems to be working well. A feat is a big investment and should have a big pay off I'm.

Malifice
2017-05-02, 11:46 AM
I think it's fine. If you feel it's too strong you could put limits on it. Like they must be in dim light or darkness. If you feel it's too weak give them a +1 Cha as well.

I was honestly expecting this thread to be about removing the daylight penalty. In 3e there was a feat called daylight adaptation that removed the penalty. My group ported this over to 5e and it seems to be working well. A feat is a big investment and should have a big pay off I'm.

You'd have it remove the penalty and give a bonus to something.

+1 to any ability score of choice to a max of 20 sounds fair.

Every drow takes that at 4th level of course.