PDA

View Full Version : I Need Character Advice

alexthemad
2017-05-02, 10:53 AM
So I have a level 1 pathfinder dwarf ranger. Fluff includes an interest in finding lost civilizations or new knowledge on old civilizations, an archeologist. Our DM has set up a series of towers that we are supposed to go through with a great treasure at the top of each one. Without going through the whole story we made it to the top of one with a loophole that we discovered (Boy, was the DM upset.) as level 1 characters.

The treasure that I received was A LOT of ancient artifacts, scrolls, tomes, etc. I'm ecstatic. I have a lifetime worth of reading and learning in what I have now. Which, after some thought, creates a bit of a problem for me.

What do i do now? My character could retire from adventuring and just study all of this lore that he received. But of course I don't want to do that. I've thought about selling the stuff to someone, but I don't know that my character would want to do that. I'm so torn right now. Are there other options out there that I'm not thinking of? Any ideas and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-02, 11:06 AM
You could find a plothook...

If Indiana Jones found one of the biggest archaeological discoveries ever, but on top of the pile of stuff was a map to an even bigger find, he's go on adventure first, use tiny brushes later.

Maybe the current find can be handed off to an NPC the character knows?

Alternatively, there's no inherent shame in retiring a character for having accomplished their goals. Only if you still have more stuff this character needs to do.

Grizl' Bjorn
2017-05-02, 11:16 AM
Building on Lvl 2 expert's post, consider arranging with your DM the following.

1. Show the haul to some NPC acquaintance of your character who is an even bigger expert on this stuff.
2. As he goes through it he finds something: "Oh no... oh no... this is very bad."
3. Turns out the civilization tried to contain eldritch horrors, turns out you broke their seal in some way...

Point being, make something arise from what you've got that ties in with your character's interests.

Guizonde
2017-05-02, 11:48 AM
how about outsourcing? your character is an archaeologist, so he might have some contacts with academics. you say you have a lifetime supply of reading material. in space alone, that's colossal, so send your haul to a few trusted associates to study it for you and get monthly updates via mail (or magic equivalent), you're not selling it by any means, you're just asking people to keep it for you and do the preliminary research (analysis, translation, transcription, vulgarisation, archiving...).

you can also turn this to your advantage. by hiring a team of nerds, you can get them to give you hints on finding even more dark knowledge and forgotten civilisations, creating an infinite positive loop. it's common practice for people in that field to outsource the thinking (well, at least it is among my archaeologist colleagues. i'm a historian, and i do help out archaeologists occasionnally).

hope this helps. good luck.

edit: seems my post didn't upload and i got swordsaged. at least we're going in the same direction.

alexthemad
2017-05-02, 12:53 PM
All of the above replies are along the same lines and I like them. They have already given me a plan with some of the NPC's that I know.

Thank you all very much!

Honest Tiefling
2017-05-02, 01:15 PM
You're a dwarf. Presumably you have some clan members who can act as associates, or maybe ask the DM about being a part of an organization to tie into the plot.

You should have a few years to come back to this stuff and read about it later. But not everyone is a combat archaeologist, so maybe your character's first concern is getting all of the artifacts possible, then studying.

Guizonde
2017-05-02, 01:41 PM
You're a dwarf. Presumably you have some clan members who can act as associates, or maybe ask the DM about being a part of an organization to tie into the plot.

You should have a few years to come back to this stuff and read about it later. But not everyone is a combat archaeologist, so maybe your character's first concern is getting all of the artifacts possible, then studying.

dwarves are long-lived, too. that could mean patience and analysis. you can probably improv' something along the lines of the scp doctrine which iirc means "secure, contain, preserve". the clan you're working for has eggheads and field agents. you start off with innocent artifacts that you safeguard for later use, then move on to eldritch ones to keep the world safe. might make you rewrite some of your backstory or expand it considerably, your dm could actually end up creating a massive organization that you guys could use in a later campaign. if your dm won't use it, i will because that's a rich seam. hopefully, your party's backstories can tie in well. good luck and have fun.

Velaryon
2017-05-02, 04:14 PM
Lots of great replies already, which covers most of what I was going to say.

Going off of Lvl 2 Expert's comparison to Indiana Jones (I really like that name BTW), your character may find that after going on the expedition and making the big score, sitting at home and studying just doesn't have the same thrill for him that it once did. Sure, he can spend the next 50 years reading through all the ancient tomes, running magical tests on the artifacts, etc., but that's just not exciting enough anymore.

After a few weeks or a couple months of that, the desire to get out and explore those ancient ruins, to outwit the traps set hundreds of years ago by long-dead people to protect those ancient artifacts, to see the paintings and runes on the dungeon walls, to speak with the guardian spirit watching over the ancient king's tomb, just becomes too much to bear. Your character starts feeling the itch to explore and discover, and will jump at the chance to go out and explore the next tower and find the next treasure.

Cealocanth
2017-05-02, 06:10 PM
I reccommend starting an institute. You have enough artifacts to go through for now, but who knows if there will be others to follow in yoir footsteps? Will your research fade when you shuffle off this mortal coil? Your character would probably want to start training new archaeologists and historians to study your find while you gather more information. The goal being to study, preserve, and, most importantly, educate about your passion, and to preserve the study and education long after your death.

In other words: Your work ain't done yet.