PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Going Bard, need advice on builds

NerZalaX
2017-05-02, 02:48 PM
Hi guyz,

there is going to be a war between 2 parties of 7 members each and im in one of them :D

the DM told us that we gona face each others around lvl 8-10 based on how we play.
I told my party that i'll handle the matters outside battles, things like talking and info gathering and ... and you guyz focus on fights.
ofc im gona use the help of our cleric to convince a old religions guy :D

also i like to be able to do stuff in fights as well.

a friend told me that i can go Bard/rogue/cleric and get proficiency with 17 out of 18 skills but he could not remember where did he saw that.

this is all the things on my mind right now :D so feel free to jump in with ur suggestions.

P.S we starting at lvl 1 :D

Marvnmartian
2017-05-02, 10:16 PM
Knowledge cleric 1 Lore bard rest all you really need to make a all well rounded character able to heal/control/damage as well as be the face of the party.

Knowledge cleric first level gets you expertise in two skills I would play as a half elf to get the 2,1,1 stat boosts and the extra skill but feel free if skills are your main priority to go v.human and grab skilled but i would take half elf over that combo personally.

if i did my build right i believe you end up with 12/18 skills and 6 of those are expertise, you could get more skills and expertise going rogue but this way you are a full caster and its a pretty easy build to conceptualize compared to a knowledge cleric 1 thief 2 bard rest

Ophialor
2017-05-03, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't bother with proficiency in all skills when you have a party of that size. If you're a half elf and lore bard you'll get 10 skills, and that should be plenty. Why have intimidate if you have persuasion, and I'm sure the others will be good at a few skills. Bards also get half proficiency with any skill that they aren't proficient in, so you will be decent at everything anyway.

Also, there's a great bard guide on these forums. Check it out!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427508-Player-s-Gonna-Play-A-Bard-s-Guide

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-03, 02:47 PM
Knowledge cleric 1 Lore bard rest all you really need to make a all well rounded character able to heal/control/damage as well as be the face of the party.

Knowledge cleric first level gets you expertise in two skills I would play as a half elf to get the 2,1,1 stat boosts and the extra skill but feel free if skills are your main priority to go v.human and grab skilled but i would take half elf over that combo personally.

Agree. I played a lore bard 6 / knowledge cleric 1 and I had more than enough bonuses to my skills

NerZalaX
2017-05-03, 03:28 PM

if i did my build right i believe you end up with 12/18 skills and 6 of those are expertise, you could get more skills and expertise going rogue but this way you are a full caster and its a pretty easy build to conceptualize compared to a knowledge cleric 1 thief 2 bard rest

I like this,...I like this alot
you are a wise man my friend,
ty

NerZalaX
2017-05-03, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't bother with proficiency in all skills when you have a party of that size. If you're a half elf and lore bard you'll get 10 skills, and that should be plenty. Why have intimidate if you have persuasion, and I'm sure the others will be good at a few skills. Bards also get half proficiency with any skill that they aren't proficient in, so you will be decent at everything anyway.

Also, there's a great bard guide on these forums. Check it out!

True, I agree with you 100%
this Bard/Cleric sound fun but I'll check ur link first
ty my friend

Alejandro
2017-05-03, 04:04 PM
Hi guyz,

there is going to be a war between 2 parties of 7 members each and im in one of them :D

the DM told us that we gona face each others around lvl 8-10 based on how we play.
I told my party that i'll handle the matters outside battles, things like talking and info gathering and ... and you guyz focus on fights.
ofc im gona use the help of our cleric to convince a old religions guy :D

also i like to be able to do stuff in fights as well.

a friend told me that i can go Bard/rogue/cleric and get proficiency with 17 out of 18 skills but he could not remember where did he saw that.

this is all the things on my mind right now :D so feel free to jump in with ur suggestions.

P.S we starting at lvl 1 :D

Be a Lore bard, with a focus on maximum Charisma. Don't worry about mastering every skill, you have six other party members for a reason.

If this is going to culminate in a battle with seven other PC-statted characters (is it another group of actual players, or controlled by the DM?) focus on things like Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Hypnotic Pattern, and other things that will shut off their spellcasters, or cripple their warriors.

dnd2016
2017-05-03, 05:24 PM
What do you get and what would you pick at cleric 1?

Zman
2017-05-03, 05:53 PM
Honestly, a half elf Lore bard doesn't need any more skills. Picking up Magic Initiate for Firebolt and Greenflame Blade in addition to 1st level spell is super solid. Gives you at will offense.

As a Lore Bard you will be able to cherry pick spells at 6th and 10th levels, so if you need more offense you've got lots to choose from. The Lore Bard in my last part picked up Fireball in addition to his Firebolt and Greenflame blade. He was relevent in combat when he wasn't chucking around inspiration and healing words.

I strongly suggest picking up Warcaster and maybe even Resilient Con, then the first round of combat Banishing the enemy Wizard if you can avoid a counterspell. Knock him out of the fight and maintain concentration. That is enough to be a massive contribuition.

NerZalaX
2017-05-04, 01:08 AM
Be a Lore bard, with a focus on maximum Charisma. Don't worry about mastering every skill, you have six other party members for a reason.

If this is going to culminate in a battle with seven other PC-statted characters (is it another group of actual players, or controlled by the DM?) focus on things like Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Hypnotic Pattern, and other things that will shut off their spellcasters, or cripple their warriors.

actual players AND ...DM is close friends with them, so you know :)))

yeah I like to not allow their casters to cast, should I use Counterspell at higher lvl or just trust the dice? :D

NerZalaX
2017-05-04, 01:30 AM
As a Lore Bard you will be able to cherry pick spells at 6th and 10th levels, so if you need more offense you've got lots to choose from. The Lore Bard in my last part picked up Fireball in addition to his Firebolt and Greenflame blade. He was relevent in combat when he wasn't chucking around inspiration and healing words.

yeah i think im gona stick to bard only

then the first round of combat Banishing the enemy Wizard if you can avoid a counterspell. Knock him out of the fight and maintain concentration. That is enough to be a massive contribuition.

this banishment is real good idea, with full lvl in bard i can manage to even banish 2 of them and not so many characters have a good Cha saving throw ,.... EVIL laugh: MUhahahahahahaha