PDA

View Full Version : will elan get his bard clothes back?

donkyhotay
2007-07-31, 07:07 PM
Admittedly elan really hasn't had the chance to change clothes but he's been in his "locke" outfit since he stole them back in cliffport. Unless dashing swordsman precludes him from wearing chainmail I would assume he would want what little armor he has back on as soon as possible.

Porthos
2007-07-31, 07:14 PM
Admittedly elan really hasn't had the chance to change clothes but he's been in his "locke" outfit since he stole them back in cliffport. Unless dashing swordsman precludes him from wearing chainmail I would assume he would want what little armor he has back on as soon as possible.

From No Cure For the Paladin Blues:

One of the main six characters will have something happen to them that will permanently change the way they're drawn. I'm not talking about an art upgrade, I mean a change in them, their clothing or their equipment. And for some perspective, Roy's sword break was not what I would call "permanent"."

So don't expect to see the Chain Shirt any time soon. :smalltongue:

Tirian
2007-07-31, 07:46 PM
I should think that Dashing Swordsmen also get to substitute their Charisma score in for their Dexterity when calculating the AC bonus, as long as they are wearing a sexy outfit that they stole while escaping from prison.

(Um, just to check, there isn't *really* an actual DS kit that Rich is using, right?)

BelkarPwnsAll!
2007-07-31, 09:08 PM
ROCK ON CHAIN MAIL! *Starts yelling* LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!

North
2007-07-31, 09:12 PM
Maybe Elan, Haley or Roy will take some Paladin levels to help fill the destroyed saphire guard ranks?
I know Haley doesnt make a lot of sense but Id like to see her in blue :smallbiggrin:

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-31, 09:22 PM
Maybe Elan, Haley or Roy will take some Paladin levels to help fill the destroyed saphire guard ranks?
I know Haley doesnt make a lot of sense but Id like to see her in blue :smallbiggrin:

Elan and Haley are chaotic, and Roy is dead. They could take the paladin of freedom variant, though...

Anyways, I think Elan's chain shirt is either assumed or the awesome gravity-defying action-hero outfit grants him the same bonuses.

Hshelton
2007-07-31, 10:35 PM
I seriously doubt Elan will be wearing the chainmail anytime soon. If you go back, you'll notice he hasn't really worn it since he found out about the skill penalty to HS and MS.

LongVin
2007-07-31, 11:11 PM

Nah. Belkar is going to take some Paladin levels. He will see the light.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-01, 06:31 AM
Elan went through pre-3.5 edition rules without a chain shirt.
He'll be fine.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-01, 06:45 AM
It's not Elan who needs a change of clothing, it's Haley! She and Belkar have been wearig the EXACT same thing since the beginning.

I'm hoping the next story arc gives her a chance to try a new look. And Belkar as well. Durkon needs some street clothes as well. He's been in that armor since "On the Origins of PCs." But he was wearing the robes of a Cleric of Thor when he was sent out.

Heck, even Roy took off his armor for his date with Celia! A loose shirt, laced up in front.

factotum
2007-08-01, 07:03 AM
He's been in that armor since "On the Origins of PCs." But he was wearing the robes of a Cleric of Thor when he was sent out.

And then they threw his armour after him, at his own request. Besides, how useful would the robes be in the middle of any sort of battle, and how would he carry the armour around if he found himself somewhere safe?

mikeejimbo
2007-08-01, 07:15 AM
It's not Elan who needs a change of clothing, it's Haley!

She did put on a lacy black dress for a date with Nale (whom she thought was Elan)

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-01, 07:41 AM
And then they threw his armour after him, at his own request. Besides, how useful would the robes be in the middle of any sort of battle, and how would he carry the armour around if he found himself somewhere safe?

That's one of those "in game" things. "Our Heroes" buy their armor, but never seem to change out of them, no matter the situation. Having been in the military, I always wanted to get OUT of my armor as soon as possible! Kevlar is hot, doesn't breath, and chafes! Steel and leather is even LESS comfortable (as I found out after being in the SCA for a bit), yet Haley and Durkon went to dinner in full armor, while Roy at least had the sense to switch into a loose shirt.

In combat/on patrol you wear your armor. Back in the barracks? Shorts and tshirts after hours, or your uniform during duty hours.

donkyhotay
2007-08-01, 08:14 AM
From No Cure For the Paladin Blues:

So don't expect to see the Chain Shirt any time soon. :smalltongue:

I haven't bought No cure for the Paladin Blues yet so I didn't know rich ever said that. Makes sense though that he would 'evolve' at least one of the characters permanently.

Rajhiim
2007-08-01, 08:17 AM
Haley is wearing leather at best - and I cant really tell on Belkar. I would imagine, especially since Haley's tunic is a middy... her "armor" must be quite comfortable. I would imagine, since we see little evidence to the contrary, Belkar's armor is limited to leather (or less) as well.

I like Elan a lot right now - so I hope he doesnt go back to full-bardish.
=P

Ravenatog
2007-08-01, 10:11 AM
Elan's new cloths rock he has the Locke from Final Fantasy III look and both of them are awesome, so I am hoping he stays with what he has.

dan_el_hombre
2007-08-01, 10:18 AM
elan's not gonna put the chain shirt back on. he wants to be invisible :smallbiggrin:

RAGE KING!
2007-08-01, 12:41 PM
this is the second thread ive read to day that should've ended at the second post, its like the law of this forum to discuss things endlessly and needlessly.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-01, 01:16 PM
this is the second thread ive read to day that should've ended at the second post, its like the law of this forum to discuss things endlessly and needlessly.

And of course, you do realise you added to the overall length, right?

It's what people do while waiting for the strip. When the new strip comes out, people talk about what happened. When you've waited for a while, you start talking about inconsequencials.

After that, people start getting snippy about spelling errors, punctuation and syntax, then before things get really heated, a new strip is posted, and everything returns to normal.

Or at least as normal as a bunch of people sitting around the internet discussing stick figures can get. :smallbiggrin:

PaladinFreak
2007-08-01, 01:30 PM
I like Elan's new look, and I think it may be permenant.

Go Locke costume!

Oeep Snaec
2007-08-01, 01:39 PM
Oho, ZING! :smallbiggrin:

I do think Elan looks better in his new gear, he has matured a little (playing around with Haley) and so needs new gear to show his growth.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-01, 02:18 PM
It appears to be a complete change and hes not going to put any of his old clothes back on. However I believe its safe to assume the new clothes give him the same AC bonus due to the dashing swordsman class ability, looking cool. Therefore he has no reason to put his chainmail back on as the clothes give him a higher AC due to the 'stolen' circumstance bonus.

Purple_cloack
2007-08-01, 02:36 PM
I HOPE he gets his clothes back. Well, these Dashing clothes are kinda cool, but naah. We want old elan back!

Icewalker
2007-08-02, 02:35 AM
He looks cooler this way anyways. I like the new Elan, personally. He was pretty great, but he isn't that different, although there are less of the silly jokes.

RedfortheRogues
2007-08-04, 11:05 AM
Less silly jokes, more silly puns: "Aghm"

Elan runs out of ideas (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0438.html)

Elfanatic
2007-08-04, 01:00 PM
Why?

WHY!

The last time Elan was seen without his DS/Locke clothes (and Haley undressing him doesn't count:smallwink: ) he was in a prison uniform.

OotS 388 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html)

Which means that his bard clothes (and chainmail shirt) are still at the prison/police HQ of Cliffport.

You should all be severely punished for this lack in knowledge of the OotS archives!
Azzume ze pozition!

P.S.: Don't take it seriously.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-04, 02:59 PM
I beleive everyone here knew that. We were speculating on whether or not he'd go back for them. And I don't even want to know what the position is.

Oberon
2007-08-04, 03:08 PM
He should get a new cloak. Not only would it look cool, but he'd get a CHA bonus!

Arameus
2007-08-04, 03:19 PM
It's not Elan who needs a change of clothing, it's Haley! She and Belkar have been wearig the EXACT same thing since the beginning.

I'm hoping the next story arc gives her a chance to try a new look. And Belkar as well. Durkon needs some street clothes as well. He's been in that armor since "On the Origins of PCs." But he was wearing the robes of a Cleric of Thor when he was sent out.

Heck, even Roy took off his armor for his date with Celia! A loose shirt, laced up in front.

Haley wore that black dress once, and we got to see her angsty teenage outfit in one panel, but more importantly she also let her hair out and dropped her top off-panel while finding traps once, albeit by accident. This actually means that every member of the Order has seen her topless, as V was the only one not to watch her checking for traps. But if you look at her attitude about staying with V at Inns, I would be willing to bet that it's happened and neither one of them really cared.

Durkon has also been naked, or at least nearly so, remember his affair with Hilgya? And besides, dwarves look unimpressive in anything besides bulky armor, although that's an opinion not many of you will share.

Belkar did actually change clothes for just a few panels when he had Owl's Wisdom cast on him; he was wearing a white tunic, Although it was magical in nature and disappeared when the spell was broken. And let's not forget his Azure City disguise; a cloak and stilts should count as a different outfit, right?

Oberon
2007-08-04, 03:27 PM
If you look at her attitude about staying with V at Inns, I would be willing to bet that it's happened and neither one of them really cared.

This raises an interesting question: who does V room with now? 'Cause I'm assuming Haley will want to room with Elan...:smallamused:

Cousinbj13
2007-08-04, 03:41 PM
What episode did Belkar have Owl's Wisdom cast on him? I can't find it...

factotum
2007-08-04, 04:31 PM
Strip #58, when Elan is dying and Durkon is incapacitated, so Belkar is the only one of the party who can cast healing scrolls.

Arameus
2007-08-05, 04:47 AM
Couldn't Durkon cast healing scrolls as well? The entire reason Belkar was doing it ws because Durkon was temporarily out of commission.

Schnitzel
2007-08-05, 04:53 AM
The last time Elan was seen without his DS/Locke clothes (and Haley undressing him doesn't count:smallwink: ) he was in a prison uniform.

OotS 388 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html)

Which means that his bard clothes (and chainmail shirt) are still at the prison/police HQ of Cliffport.

You should all be severely punished for this lack in knowledge of the OotS archives!
Azzume ze pozition!

Not true. When the CPPD captured Elan, he was wearing Nale's clothes. Elan's clothes were with Nale, which means they are probably in the closet in the inn in Azure City.

Green Bean
2007-08-05, 05:34 AM
I doubt that Elan would change his clothes, even if he could. Any outfit that gets this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0401.html) kind of reaction should be worn until it falls apart. :smallbiggrin:

Elfanatic
2007-08-05, 08:51 AM
Not true. When the CPPD captured Elan, he was wearing Nale's clothes. Elan's clothes were with Nale, which means they are probably in the closet in the inn in Azure City.

Aaahhhhh!!

You're right! I muzt azzume ze pozition!

factotum
2007-08-05, 11:40 AM
Couldn't Durkon cast healing scrolls as well? The entire reason Belkar was doing it ws because Durkon was temporarily out of commission.

Which is why I clearly said "and Durkon is incapacitated"...thought that made it reasonably clear that he wasn't available to cast any heals!