PDA

View Full Version : STR-based Rogue Help

JumboWheat01
2017-05-02, 07:23 PM
So with my recent re-obsession with DDO, and unlocking the Dragonborn on it, the idea of a Dragonborn Rogue has been sticking to me hard. Now, with as different as DDO is, Strength-based Rogues are pretty easy to draw up, thanks to certain things. But I'm in the mood to try and draw something up in 5e as well. Probably Dragonborn as well, because why not.

What are some tasty tips for making my Strength-based Rogue more survivable? Some gameplay tips as well would be nice. I know I'm still perfectly capable of sneak-attacking with finesse weapons even if I'm not using Dexterity, so I'm not too worried about weapon selection (Rapier's still d8, after all.)

Oh, and if you happen to know of any homebrew archetypes that would work wonders for this, please tell.

P.S. - Pure Rogue. Dedicated class purist.

clash
2017-05-02, 07:34 PM
Vecna's rogue archetype enforcer works well for this. Don't know if your familiar with their work but they frequent theses boards. http://mfov.magehandpress.com/search/label/Rogue?max-results=100&m=1

suplee215
2017-05-02, 07:35 PM
I'll attempt to somehow gain shields and shield mastery along with athletics expertise. without multiclass the medium armor feat does shields do.

PeteNutButter
2017-05-02, 07:36 PM
So just take your first level in fighter and...

P.S. - Pure Rogue. Dedicated class purist.

Ah ****. ... well

Go variant human and pick up moderately armored for shields and medium armor. Expertise in athletics and either grapple or take shield master. That is the only conceivable reason to go str based. You still have to use a rapier at best.

JumboWheat01
2017-05-02, 07:44 PM
Vecna's rogue archetype enforcer works well for this. Don't know if your familiar with their work but they frequent theses boards. http://mfov.magehandpress.com/search/label/Rogue?max-results=100&m=1

Ooh, I do like that. I really do. And that's something I can easily convince my DM to let me play, as "Rule-of-Cool" as he is.

Naanomi
2017-05-02, 07:58 PM
Without a one level dip for better armor options, STR rogue goes from 'viable build' to 'gimmicky concept'; without homebrew subclasses anyways

Corran
2017-05-03, 12:14 AM
What are some tasty tips for making my Strength-based Rogue more survivable?
So, dragonborn str-based pure rogue.

Feats:
4) Moderately armored (gives access to medium armors and shields, as well as a +1 to STR).
8) Shield master (unless your party is heavily geared towards ranged combat)
12) +2 STR (for a STR score of 20 at that point), or take mobile if you dont go with swashbuckler.
16) to taste (I like observant / +2 CHA if swashbuckler)
19) to taste

Skill expertise:
1) Athletics
2) Stealth
3) Perception
4) to taste (could be thieves' tools, or a social skill of your choice/ persuasion if going swashbuckler)

Starting stats (dragonborn: +2 STR, +1 CHA):
STR 15 + 2 = 17 (have it be an odd score, as moderately armored will give you a +1 here)
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 11
CHA 9 +1 = 10
(rearrange the mental stats according to your liking)
(You could even drop con to 12, and use these extra 3 points to boost your mental stats for something like a 12, 10, 10 in them, for example: STR 17, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 10).

OR, you could even do something like this, regarding starting stats:
(aimed for swashbuckler)
STR 15 + 2 = 17
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 13 +1 = 14

As for which roguish archtype, since the str focus allows you less points to spare on secondary stats (because lets face it, you cannot really dump dex - unless you are going for heavy armor? but that would take 2 feats and 8 character levels to come online, so I am assuming no-), I would say that your best bet is going with thief or with swashbuckler.

The thief's features dont depend on your stats, so that's a good thing (as opposed to AT for example which would require INT for which you do not have the points, or assassin which would demand from you to be dex based). Moreover, at level 9, the thief gets supreme sneak, which will make up for your mediocre stealth.

Swashbuckler is also a very good idea. You will put that +1 to CHA from being a dragonborn to some good use. What's more important, the swashbuckler will allow you to retreat to safety (when you are up against one opponent), without using your bonus action for cunning action (disengage), and that means using your bonus action with the shove from shield master more often. Actually, now that I think of it, if you end up taking shield master, then go swashbuckler. Fancy footwork plays well with shield master, action economy wise.

Ending thoughts:
Your shoving will be very strong, so you will want to use it often, so that means that you must have a way to retreat without using your cunning action most of the time. And since the soonest you will be able to grab the mobile feat would be at level 12, I say go swashbuckler and dont look back. That's the perfect archtype for you (assuming you take shield master).

ps: Strogues make good grapplers too, apart from shield masters. But I am not sure how they go about it (other than using a barbarian dip, which is not an option for you. There is a good grappler's guide somewhere in the notable thread though, if you are interested in that idea.

Scathain
2017-05-03, 11:51 AM
IMO sans multiclassing, the Enforcer rogue mentioned is a great choice. I'm playing one in a solo campaign where my character acts as a Bruiser type for his local thieves guild, but grabbed magic Initiate as his free vuman feat to represent a "family background of witchcraft". Booming Blade + find familiar makes for a very happy rogue.