PDA

View Full Version : DM Help (Pathfinder) Need help with story ideas.

EightBitEngine
2017-05-03, 02:13 AM
My pathfinder group is currently doing an experimental game, the idea is that the game is meant to be a comedy themed improve excursive just as much as it is a d&d game.

We agreed that it will be mostly linear with the players agreeing to stay on the rails. We have also decided that once each story is over then we will rotate DMs to the next player and that even though there is a big focus on humor the story should be treated seriously.

I would like some help with writing my story for when my turn comes to dm.

We have played one session so far and it was amazing so to give you a better idea of how this is all supposed to work I'll give a recap of the story so far.

There are 4 player characters and 4 players so the dm is playing a pc along side dming

The characters: DM (plays A dwarven monk who worships Cayden Cailean, who is the god of alcohol essentially.
So this dwarf drinks a lot as being drunk brings him closer to god. He also has an outrageous Scottish accent.)

Me (I play a Necromancer that is essentially a mad scientist and has a German accent, He also is slowly turning to a litch and once a part of him gets to rotten to hide he cuts it off
and replaces it with a fresh part taken from a body... Frankenstein style. He wants nothing more than to be evil and to be respected as an evil force, but the comedic twist is that his
Heritage is made up almost entirely by angels so he struggles with a genetic predisposition to do good that often wins out over his want to be evil... much to his annoyance)

Player 1 (Plays a pure blooded eleven sorcerer who want's to be a stoic. The joke here is that in the face of the outrageous and asinine stuff that happens around the group keeping a
straight face is nearly impossible)

Player 2 (Plays a gnome that as far as I can tell her shtick is that she is crazy and has an Australian accent (we like our accents).... not much to say about her honestly)

The Story: The story started out pretty standard, the dm informed us that we are travailing with a caravan for our own reasons (I had decided I was travailing because I was caught robing graves, and needed to get out of dodge.)
Any ways while we traveled with this caravan we herd them start to talk about how the town we are headed to is populated by quote "Crazy chicken people"
What turned out to be the case was that a long time ago this village's god was cursed by a trickster god and as a result said god turned into a chicken and the village was over run by chickens so that they could never find the right chicken in all the chaos.

In response to this the town treated all the chickens like gods I guess out of the fear that if they didn't they might accidentally mistreat their god at some point.
The town had laws like "never impede a chicken", "never harm a chicken", "chickens always have the right of way"

My character found all this hilariously fascinating so he decided to write a small book about "The Chicken Village"

Long story short our party found the chicken god and the town thinks my character is the reincarnation of a holy paladin from their "Pre chicken god" era and so have entrusted me with the job of returning their god back to normal.

I'm not doing the story justice here but trust me it was actually extremely funny but showed respect to fantasy story telling at the same time.

So here is my problem. I'm usually a fairly competent writer but I'm having a lot of trouble fleshing out any good ideas for a story when it reaches my turn to dm. So I would like some help

This is my idea so far.

I was thinking of having the party stumble across a castle town that just so happens to be throwing a standard medieval festival.
There are traders from all around the kingdom as well as far off lands selling their exotic/masterwork goods, there will also be all the medieval sports events like jousting and fencing and all that jazz.
My hook was that these games will be open to any one who wants to enter and that they are giving out ticket prizes for any one who does good enough to place in the top 10, you would get more or less based on how high or low you place and you can enter every event.... So the players could end up with extremely varying numbers of tickets (which is important to the concept)

The real hook here is that the local mages guild has been put in charge of the prizes booth. All kinds of magical items are available to the party if they can only get enough tickets to get them.

I think my concept is really strong and I'm getting a silly vibe from it but not a comedy vibe. I think what it's lacking is a strong antagonist.
If you guys could help me think of a good foil for the party, some one or something that can actively stand in there way of getting enough tickets
or if you can think of other ideas to put a bit more of an outrageous spin or flaver to the whole thing I would be very grateful.