PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Did I set up for failure? The fine line between consequences and punishment

Zombimode
2017-05-03, 07:41 AM
At the end of yesterday's session, we left in a situation that will likely result in the PCs failure down the road.

Which got me, the DM, thinking about the difficulties of providing a gameplay that makes the PCs decisions meaningful, and if I did set them up for failure.

Background:
The premise of the campaign is that the PCs are rewarded for past deeds with the Lordship over a County.
The Queen hopes that the PCs impartiality concering political matters combined with their proven "drive" will bring significant and much needed change to the underdeveloped and isolated County.

There, they have to prove their authority to their subordinate Barons, deal with the Ex-Count, establish themselves and makes politcal decisions in a timeframe of months and years.
And of Course deal with the counties other problems.

I pitched this premise to the players beforehand together with several other campaign ideas, most of them of a more traditional sort. This is what they have chosen.

So far their political accumen wasn't very impressive, but it is still early. This is not what concerns me at this moment.

This backround is still important because is puts their recent Actions into perspective.

The City of Exag:

Besides the Barons Holdings the County also holds a City. It is not part of any barony, but still part of the County and thus subject to the PCs. The City is Exag, and while the campaign is not set in Greyhawk it is the same City as feutured in the Seeds of Sehan Adventure arc. This Adventure arc is incorporated into this campaign.

In short, Exag is both magnificent and the most miserable place at the same time. It is magnificent because it has an indestructable City wall, 3 great (and indestructable) pyramids of mysterious origin and an (indestructable) aqueduct providing the City with an unending supply of fresh and clean water.
It is miserable because it has practically no infrastructure. The relatively few People that live there are drug-addicted xenophobics. Famine always lurks above the City because few People work the fields. The City is rule by a fanatic brickhead, the Prophet of the Pyramid.

The City and its People are not beyond saving, however. Even if the doctrin of the cult preaches to resist Change, most people know that the situation is bad. And while the Prophet holds significant influence, the People as a whole are not fanatic.

Even the Prophet himself is not an unredeemable villain. The slow but constant ruination of all Buildings other then the wall, the pyramids and aqueduct is nagging on his Soul and faith, but he hasn't admitted to that yet. He also doesn't endorse the heavy use of drugs by his People.
He does distrust strangers, especially considering that he recently allowed a stranger to examine a old temple Building - which resulted in the temples structural collapse. Needless to say, he doesn't want stranges to meddle with the Buildings anymore.

The current Situation:
After arriving in the City, the PCs visited the Prophet revealing themselves as the new Lords of the County and even managed to create a somewhat positive Impression of themeselves within the Prophet.
They also learned about the Prophets recent misplaced trust in strangers and experience (in a non-agressive Fashion) that the locals really dont take it well if strangers meddle with the buildings especiall the pyramids.

Having learned all that they immediately set out the same night to break into one of the pyramids (they have discovered a secret entrance during the day)... :smallsigh:

The only precaution they took was to use the cover of the night. They rolled for stealth, the still existant two locals that kept watch rolled Listen/Spot and while unlikely the PCs got noticed.
They pressed on and tried to "shake off" the watchers by... walking arround in the same area and then walking arround the pyramid...

By the time they turned the second-to-last corner of the pyramid (thus getting a view on the area they started) the locals had gathered in numbers (about 2 dozen) with torches and crude weapons.

The PCs pressed on nevertheless. They reached for the secret entrence trying to cover them with an illusion... which WOULD have worked if it werent for the loud and distinctive noise of the opening secret door (as per the description in the Exag Backdrop article of Dungeon Magazine). They proceeded into the pyramid while trying to cover the entrance with another ilusion, this time a Major Image (meaning that the illusion reacts to touch). Which was very good idea but natural 20s for two of the locals meant that this illusion will not hold the locals at bay.

I had not prepared the pyramid as a dungeon for this campaign, relying on the short description of it in the Exag Backdrop article instead.
Going by this, the entrance chamber is guarded by (an undisclosed number of) Clay Golems with Fast Heal 10. The only other information I have is that the main chamber holds a "Portal of World" which is guarded by two Battletitans.

With the sentence "Just as you hear locals entering the tunnel behind you, you see that the large clay statues are starting to move." we called it for the night.

Now, personally I consider the investigation of the pyramid at this point to be an enormously stupid move. If your goal is to gain the trust of the locals doing the precise thing they despise (and similar to what the last strangers did) is exactly not what you should do.
Yes, they could have pulled it of without being detected. But it always carries a risk and this time they got caught.

Being the only strangers in town at this time and having a rather distinct Elven Hound with them they have more or less revealed them to be the culprits.

But it doesn't end there. By going by the description of the pyramids guardians they are pitched against at least two enhanced clay golems. In the heat of the moment I declared that there are four "lagre clay statues, each one at every wall", but I was somewhat vague at describing them starting to move. That leaves me the option to only send two Clay Golems against them.
Viewed in a vacuum, the party should be able to handle two Clay Golems: a Spirit Shaman 11, a Wizard 5 / Mage of the Arcane Order 6 and a Ranger 11 with a stronger-then-usual Elven Hound chompanion. But Golems, thanks to their magic immunity, usually require somewhat of a preparation for magic-users to fight them. I don't think that either the Wizard or the Spirit Shamane is especially well prepared at this moment to fight Golems. And the Rangers supply of Adamantine arrows is also rather limited. The cramped quarters and zero preperation time will work against them as well. But even if they manage to overcome the Golems, there is no way they succeed against the Battletitans.

I'm not concerned about the PCs survival. The wizard has a teleportation spell prepared so they can always cut loose.

What I'm concerned about is the almost inevitable failure of the PCs. Failure of revealing the pyramids secrets and failure in the political game: effectively cutting the ties with 20% of their subjects and loosing access to the largest unused potential of the whole county (there is no other urban center).

I'm making this thread to 1) gain other people's opinions on this specific situation, possible avenues for me to take from here, if I'm myself to blame and 2) to discuss this matter on a more general term: how you can provide a gameplay that is challenging and make the players decisions meaningful without becoming miserable when things don't turn out as successful.

To me there can only be challenge if there is a possibility for failure.
Similar a choice only has meaning if there are directly related consquences.
Combining challenge with meaningful choices means that there are "wrong" choices, meaning those that result in undesirable consequences.

But on the other hand, roleplaying games are about having an engaging and fun experience. And if employing consequence to actions result in a misarble experience, you should do something else instead.

"Failure" can still be fun. But I think it is more difficult to craft a fun experience out of failure than out of success.

So, how can you provide "bad" consequence that are called for in the name of meaningful choice and plausibility without the game becoming worse for it?

What are your experiences on that matter?

Or do you hold a completely different opionon on this?

noob
2017-05-03, 08:16 AM
Battletitan is from where?
They have a mage of the arcane order so if they beat the golems without using much resources they might spontaneously cast an encounter ending stuff on the titans(possible if they are not full-casting creatures).
So I want to know what is a battle titan.

Zombimode
2017-05-03, 08:47 AM
Battletitans are form the MonsterManual 3 (D&D 3.5 obviously, although this doesn't matter much for this particular topic). It is a huge T-Rex like dinosaur thingy. While it can be defeated quite easily with the right tool, its numbers are simply larger then yours: a ton of HP, high AC, excessive damage, a to-hit Bonus of "yes". It is the Kind of creature that low-medium optimization characters and/or low-medium rules-savy Player will have very hard time dealing with, while others can simply humiliate it. Quite like the Tarrasque.

Yes, the Wizard could find the Encounter-ending spell. I wouldn't put my money on the Player both realizing the grave danger AND then picking the correct spell.
Plus there are two of them.

The Spirit Shaman could also possibly solo both of them (taking on Spirit Form to be invulnerable to anything a Battletitan can do then casting spell until they are dead). The Player can likely not, though (lacking the rules-savynes and tactical skill).

Geddy2112
2017-05-03, 08:56 AM
What I'm concerned about is the almost inevitable failure of the PCs. Failure of revealing the pyramids secrets and failure in the political game: effectively cutting the ties with 20% of their subjects and loosing access to the largest unused potential of the whole county (there is no other urban center).
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. They did some dumb stuff, got caught, and are gonna reap the consequences.

To me there can only be challenge if there is a possibility for failure.
Similar a choice only has meaning if there are directly related consquences.
Combining challenge with meaningful choices means that there are "wrong" choices, meaning those that result in undesirable consequences.
Agreed. It is important to know there are only "wrong" or "bad" choices relative to the goals of the party. If their goal was to make the town hate them or eventually just take it by force and put the city to the sword crucifying every last person in there when they invade, then what they are doing is no big deal.

For your specific questions
1. There could be some very powerful magic or whatnot in the pyramid that could change the hearts and minds of at least some of the people, or at least break even from breaking in. If you want to go against the players with kid gloves the pyramid can wipe the minds of the town and reset them all one day as if the party was never discovered. You could just let it roll, and have the fallout of this particular city be a loss. They may be able to come back later in the game with more power/army/idk and fix it then. We all mess up in life, and sometimes we really screw the pooch, but it is only 20% of the kingdom so there are other things they can do. They are still in the pyramid, and if they beat the golems they can still explore it/loot it/activate the sith holocron that makes it into a battlestation/obtain a piece of the triforce or whatever the heck is inside.

2. Decisions are meaningful when there is a chance to fail, and when the outcome matters. When the PC's actions are completely irrelevant, there is effectively no game. This should not get down to butterfly effect levels, where if they order an ale at this inn all of a sudden world ending events shift into play. However, there should be chances to players to make choices that will have lasting impacts on the setting. Some of these are obvious(kill the assassin, or hire them to kill the monarch) but they can be less so (saving these people ensured more wheat for winter, and the village managed to fend off an orc attack and is still there when the party returns). What is important is to not focus on utter doom and gloom and a "you screwed up and totally blew the mission" and get them some way to go forward. In very extreme "you screwed up" it might be the end of the campaign: this is normally when the party does something really stupid that results in a TPK. Find ways the party can go forward and show them. This also applies to consequences favorable to the party leading to new opportunities for them to do other things. Consequences, good or bad, should change the nature of the world the players live in and give them ways to go forward, even if they are less than pleasant.

The major thing is to not have the game grind to a halt. Take the time before the next session to plan it, or if it happens in session call a break to figure out something.

Pilo
2017-05-03, 09:08 AM
I think you will have to use a Deus Ex Machina to save them.

I offer you this :
They are teleported to a place not so far from the pyramid earlier this night and with their wizard dead, well and older version of it.
Because the wizard survived the fight, became old enough to learn epic spells, time travelled back to this place and time in order to save his/her compagnons, then died because the futur has changed.

noob
2017-05-03, 09:35 AM
If they die the adventure might just stop here and then you might do another adventure with other characters.
Deus ex machina make some players very angry especially if they did not ask for it.

Beastrolami
2017-05-03, 09:58 AM
They messed up. Let them fight the tough battle, hopefully, they are smart enough to escape. After they leave, seal the pyramid back up, and kill the commoners who followed them. They make it out, barely with no loot, and they just lost the trust of their city. After that it is up to them. They can say screw that city, and become tyrannical rulers, or decide they really should try to earn back the trust, in which case, you can give them a long term quest to find some meaningful way to improve the city.

Punish them for their mistakes, then give them the opportunity to make amends.

Max_Killjoy
2017-05-03, 10:11 AM
IMO, it helps to view events through a lens of "cause and effect", rather than "actions and consequences". The former is simply reality in action, the latter has a punitive undertone.

Despite what some people think, objective reality doesn't ever punish people. It's just physics.

kyoryu
2017-05-03, 10:57 AM
There should be consequences, but the consequences don't have to be binary.

By breaking into the pyramid, they've certainly damaged their trust with the locals - killing the commoners would only do more so. That doesn't have to mean they lose the city permanently, but it *will* mean they've got a harder road ahead of them. One thing to consider is like a "track" of the city's relationship to them.... on a scale of 1 to 10, say, where are relationships? This would certainly knock it down a notch or two, but doesn't have to zero it, and doesn't have to preclude it increasing later.

The time to rally a mob also seems a bit... questionable to me. Like it seems really short.

Also, be careful that you're not inadvertently leading them to action Like, in a more traditional campaign, if you describe a city and the most interesting thing of note is a giant magic pyramid, it's often assumed to be a breadcrumb that the players are "supposed" to follow. If the players think this is what's happening, and follow your breadcrumb, then it's very possible that they'll feel misled (at a meta level) which can lead to hurt feelings. Having the most notable thing in the city be an immediate "touch this and campaign over" button is not, IMHO, a great idea.

Lastly, be willing to reconsider what will/might happen. Like, if this was a TV show, what would happen from here? Maybe there's a different reason the townsfolk are afraid of the pyramid, which can lead to the adventurers helping deal with that.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-05-04, 12:04 AM
If they for instance teleport now and let the villagers deal with the golems they've still got plausible deniability...

Darth Ultron
2017-05-04, 07:54 AM
I'm making this thread to 1) gain other people's opinions on this specific situation, possible avenues for me to take from here, if I'm myself to blame and 2) to discuss this matter on a more general term: how you can provide a gameplay that is challenging and make the players decisions meaningful without becoming miserable when things don't turn out as successful.

You did set yourself up to fail...but the good news is that your God of the game world, so all hope is not lost.

Of course when you say ''the Forbidden Pyramid'', the players hear ''The Awesome site for fun and adventure and loot!'' So note to self in the future: Don't do that. When you say ''Pyramid where people pray and have family picnics'', for example, the players hear ''Zzzzz...boring, next!''

Next your Pyramid Guards sure are aggressive and powerful and amazingly active. Note that all of this is 100% under your control. Even if you go all ''powerless'' and sit back and say ''I rolled and I'm a slave to the dice.'' So even if the guards spot the Pc's they did not need to go all ''mob and pitch forks'', they could have done dozes of other things....like for example nothing. They see the PC's and nod, and tell everyone later. Or they do the ''fools, well they will soon be dead, back to guarding''. Or dozes of other things.

Note you really, really, really should avoid letting the Dice or the Rules control the game. Even if you roll a ''100'' or whatever: what happens in the game only happens if you say so. For example, just as a guard makes a spot check does not equal that they blast away with a meteor swarm or just as a shopkeeper knows a PC is lying they don't fall down and say ''your lying!'' and so on. On the more physical side you might feel you have to ''obey the dice'', like for a climb check or an attack roll...but just note you don't ''have to''. And yes, many jerk players will go on and on for every about how the DM must just be ''less then a player'' and ''use the same rules'', but it is still not true. For example, say the lich rolls a 20 to hit...so ok, you let them hit...well the lich (that is you) still gets to decide if the lich is casting the spell ''kill this Pc'' or just ''wound the Pc'' or even just ''paralyze the Pc''. And only the worst of the jerk players will stop the game and second guess the DM and demand the lich use spell X and not spell Y as they say so.

Also, if you wanted to not have the PC's go into the pyramid....don't make a secret entrance they find in like three seconds.

Also, you could have put the secret entrance in a tunnel under the city...far, far, away from any guards or city folk.

For the fight, try to make the clay golems more ''super hero guards'' and not ''super killing machines''. For example...have them use bull rush, grapple and such. Have them literally toss the PC's around and not just ''do damage, do damage, do damage''. Feel free to give them a couple fighting feats and say ''they were enchanted this way''. It even makes for a more fun encounter too.

Zombimode
2017-05-05, 06:59 AM
Thank you for your answers :smallsmile:
Finaly I got time to respond:

For your specific questions
1. There could be some very powerful magic or whatnot in the pyramid that could change the hearts and minds of at least some of the people, or at least break even from breaking in. If you want to go against the players with kid gloves the pyramid can wipe the minds of the town and reset them all one day as if the party was never discovered. You could just let it roll, and have the fallout of this particular city be a loss. They may be able to come back later in the game with more power/army/idk and fix it then. We all mess up in life, and sometimes we really screw the pooch, but it is only 20% of the kingdom so there are other things they can do. They are still in the pyramid, and if they beat the golems they can still explore it/loot it/activate the sith holocron that makes it into a battlestation/obtain a piece of the triforce or whatever the heck is inside.

Good suggestions! I like the idea of making the content of the Pyramid relevant in Fixing their Problems - if they use is wisely.

There should be consequences, but the consequences don't have to be binary.

By breaking into the pyramid, they've certainly damaged their trust with the locals - killing the commoners would only do more so. That doesn't have to mean they lose the city permanently, but it *will* mean they've got a harder road ahead of them. One thing to consider is like a "track" of the city's relationship to them.... on a scale of 1 to 10, say, where are relationships? This would certainly knock it down a notch or two, but doesn't have to zero it, and doesn't have to preclude it increasing later.

The time to rally a mob also seems a bit... questionable to me. Like it seems really short.

Also, be careful that you're not inadvertently leading them to action Like, in a more traditional campaign, if you describe a city and the most interesting thing of note is a giant magic pyramid, it's often assumed to be a breadcrumb that the players are "supposed" to follow. If the players think this is what's happening, and follow your breadcrumb, then it's very possible that they'll feel misled (at a meta level) which can lead to hurt feelings. Having the most notable thing in the city be an immediate "touch this and campaign over" button is not, IMHO, a great idea.

Lastly, be willing to reconsider what will/might happen. Like, if this was a TV show, what would happen from here? Maybe there's a different reason the townsfolk are afraid of the pyramid, which can lead to the adventurers helping deal with that.

I know the consequences don't have to be binary. But speaking in Terms of a relationship score: it would be at 4 at the start (xenophobic plus recent bad experience with strangers), defiling one of the Holy Pyramids should take that down at least two Points. So yeah, it doesn't look great.

Regarding the mob. Consider this: there is not much to do for the locals in the City. And they are xenphobic. That Newcomers are being watched is quite plausible. Especially those that arrived just this day. Especially those that showed interest in the Pyramids (which, as recent experience has Show, is always a bad sign). So, if those stranges go out in the night in the direction of one of the pyramids, this is quite suspicous from the persepective of the locals.
While there is not organized "guard" arround the pyramids, some of the locals take this "holy duty" quite seriously. Considering all that, I decided that there is a chance for two vigilant locals to detect the PCs at night during their Approach of the Pyramid.
After the PCs started to walk around the Pyramid, the two locals decided to gather some numbers seeing they would have no Chance stopping 3 armed strangers and a large and fierce dog.
Considering the genral Outlook of the locals it wasn't difficult to get about 2 dozen People on the street out of the hundreds that live in the area. Definitely possible in the time that the Party spend Walking (not running or so) arround the large pyramid.

You're making a good Point that the Pyramids can be received as "breadcrumps". I concede that. But it is not like they have nothing else to do. After the session some of the Players even wondered why they had choosen to investigate the pyramid, somewhat regretting the decision.

Another Thing to considre is that many of the challenges in this campaign are less tangible than the usual Monsters, traps and Terrain. For instance, "out of the wealth of possible Actions and Options, picking the right ones that are consistant with your Goals" is one of them. Seeing the Pyramids as a Point of interesst, but analysing the Situation well enough to conclude that making a move at this point may not be a stellar idea was precisely one such challange.

Personally I don't see this as different to the challenge provided by combat: there, too, you have to analyse the situation and then decide on a course of action that will result in the defeat of the enemy.
The XP-reward structure for this campaign is build arround this (which, obviously, also includes tradional combat).

You did set yourself up to fail...but the good news is that your God of the game world, so all hope is not lost.

Of course when you say ''the Forbidden Pyramid'', the players hear ''The Awesome site for fun and adventure and loot!'' So note to self in the future: Don't do that. When you say ''Pyramid where people pray and have family picnics'', for example, the players hear ''Zzzzz...boring, next!''

Next your Pyramid Guards sure are aggressive and powerful and amazingly active. Note that all of this is 100% under your control. Even if you go all ''powerless'' and sit back and say ''I rolled and I'm a slave to the dice.'' So even if the guards spot the Pc's they did not need to go all ''mob and pitch forks'', they could have done dozes of other things....like for example nothing. They see the PC's and nod, and tell everyone later. Or they do the ''fools, well they will soon be dead, back to guarding''. Or dozes of other things.

Note you really, really, really should avoid letting the Dice or the Rules control the game. Even if you roll a ''100'' or whatever: what happens in the game only happens if you say so. For example, just as a guard makes a spot check does not equal that they blast away with a meteor swarm or just as a shopkeeper knows a PC is lying they don't fall down and say ''your lying!'' and so on. On the more physical side you might feel you have to ''obey the dice'', like for a climb check or an attack roll...but just note you don't ''have to''. And yes, many jerk players will go on and on for every about how the DM must just be ''less then a player'' and ''use the same rules'', but it is still not true. For example, say the lich rolls a 20 to hit...so ok, you let them hit...well the lich (that is you) still gets to decide if the lich is casting the spell ''kill this Pc'' or just ''wound the Pc'' or even just ''paralyze the Pc''. And only the worst of the jerk players will stop the game and second guess the DM and demand the lich use spell X and not spell Y as they say so.

Also, if you wanted to not have the PC's go into the pyramid....don't make a secret entrance they find in like three seconds.

Also, you could have put the secret entrance in a tunnel under the city...far, far, away from any guards or city folk.

For the fight, try to make the clay golems more ''super hero guards'' and not ''super killing machines''. For example...have them use bull rush, grapple and such. Have them literally toss the PC's around and not just ''do damage, do damage, do damage''. Feel free to give them a couple fighting feats and say ''they were enchanted this way''. It even makes for a more fun encounter too.

Several remarks:

Describing the Pyramid as interesting: I did that because a) it is true, and b) resisting the temptation is part of the challenge, as detailed above.

Vigilant locals: a) as described above, this is consistent with both how I had described the Setting to the Players and how I have constructed it, b) the Players declared their intent to investigate the pyramid, if possible undetected, and thus I provided a suitable challenge to this end.
Also, you may have misunderstood me in that I was not lamentating how I was a "slave to the dice" or so. I resolved the conflict how I had set it up using the mechanisms provided by the rules. I have included those bits in the description to make it clear that the situation was set up as an encounter and resolved in this manner.

About not "wanting" the PCs to go into the pyramid: this is a bit of a misnomer, because the only things I actually "want" is to see the players tackle the challenges I confront them with, see how they explore and act within the setting I've constructed, and having a fun time together while doing all of that.
The pyramids are a setting detail from which, in this case, emerged a challenge.

So, after considering all responses (including those I've not responded to) and thinking about it for the last days, I think the following is what I will do:

Clay Golems: two Golems should provide a tough, but not overwhelming challenge.
Battletitans: I will keep them in. The party HAS the ability to defeat them if they are resourceful.

The "prize" of the Pyramid: the central chamber, guarded by the two battletitans, holds a Portal that the Builders of the pyramids used to travel the worlds and also to leave this world. It can still be activated. By default it will lead to its last destination, which is the world the Builders have went to from this world.
The activation is limited, though. It will use that same "discs" that are also needed to activate the cities defenses (see Seeds of Sehan adventures). The central chamber will hold 3 of those discs. The portal can be used for Planeshifting (like the spell). Figuring out how to change the destination will require more study.

If the manage to defeat/evade the battletitans and to activate the portal, they can reach a world with Builder influence. I have to work out the details in the following days, but the gist of it is:
There, they get the opportunity to aquire something that will help their course with Exag. I won't hand it to them on a silver platter, but I will make it clear that they have something to gain from there.
It will NOT earase their actions in Exag and the lost trust will be a problem they have to deal with. In effect, if they don't aquire that something from the Builders world or fail to used it for good effect, their influence over the city will be severly damaged to the point that, if they don't come up with some other plan, Exag may very well not part of their county.

This way, I turn the investigation of the pyramid from a "bad idea, period, simply nothing to gain" to a "high risk, high reward, plus possible negative side effects" scenario.