PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Feats, Heighten Spell, and Spontaneous Casters

MrNexx
2007-07-31, 09:59 PM
What happens if you have a spontaneous caster with a reserve feat and Heighten Spell?

For example, if there was a 4th level Sorcerer, whose only Acid spell was Acid Splash, would he be able to throw a 2D6 orb of acid 10 feet so long as he had a 2nd level spell available? Technically, due to Heighten Spell and Acid Splash, he has a 2nd level [acid] spell available.

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-31, 10:04 PM
I would probably allow that, but I don't think most GMs would agree with me. I think rules-wise, that doesn't work, but a sorcerer that takes a reserve feat? I gotta encourage that.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-31, 10:07 PM
Yes. Heighten Spell does help you with reserve feats. It works just as you propose.

This question was answered in a "Sage Advice" column. I haven't checked the new FAQ yet, but it could also be in there.

EDIT: Now I have checked the new FAQ. It's not there. If you want, I can see if I can provide a Dragon issue number on that "Sage Advice."

MrNexx
2007-07-31, 10:50 PM
Yes. Heighten Spell does help you with reserve feats. It works just as you propose.

This question was answered in a "Sage Advice" column. I haven't checked the new FAQ yet, but it could also be in there.

EDIT: Now I have checked the new FAQ. It's not there. If you want, I can see if I can provide a Dragon issue number on that "Sage Advice."

Damn. Now I'm in the position of agreeing with the Sage. Is it still Skip Williams?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-31, 11:13 PM
No. Andy Collins has been the Sage for quite some time now.

MrNexx
2007-08-01, 09:28 AM
No. Andy Collins has been the Sage for quite some time now.

Ok. I haven't read Dragon in quite some time, but I remember getting rather annoyed at Skip's interpretation of the rules. I don't have to inherently hate it.