PDA

View Full Version : A single bonus spell for your sorcerer

Beechgnome
2017-05-03, 09:12 AM
A lack of spells is a problem for sorcerers. You can overcome it, but it is still annoying. I came up with some metamagic ideas (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?517601-Inverted-Spell-and-other-Sorcerer-Metamagic-Shenanigans) to grant more spells, but in the current game, you don't have much to work with.

The new UA Favored Soul finds a middle ground between granting sorcerers bonus spells from first through fifth level and the current 'You'll get nothing and like it' status: a simple, thematic bonus 1st level spell; in their case, cure wounds.

Were we to do the same to other flavors of sorcerers, what might those spells be?

Obviously an acid spell like Melf's would be good for Black and Copper draconic sorcerers, for example, but assume you are limited to 1st level spells, as it will be granted at first level.

I've got some ideas, but I'd rather see other people take a crack at this first. What one 1st level spell would you grant each of the different sorcerer archetypes?

Kryx
2017-05-03, 09:19 AM
The new UA Favored Soul finds a middle ground between granting sorcerers bonus spells from first through fifth level and the current 'You'll get nothing and like it' status: a simple, thematic bonus 1st level spell; in their case, cure wounds.
1 isn't a middle ground. A middle ground would be 5 spells (1 at each level 1st-5th). I'd argue that is still insufficent and 10 (2 at each level 1st-5th) is the balanced approach to the Sorcerer.

Though I don't want to ruin OPs thread so I'll leave it at that.

EvilAnagram
2017-05-03, 09:25 AM
1 isn't a middle ground. A middle ground would be 5 spells (1 at each level 1st-5th). I'd argue that is still insufficent and 10 (2 at each level 1st-5th) is the balanced approach to the Sorcerer.

In a line that stretches from A to E, all points in between are middle grounds, not just C.

Aett_Thorn
2017-05-03, 09:32 AM
I think that Draconic Sorcs are the easiest to deal with, and I'll lump Tempest Sorcs in with the Blue/Bronze Dragon origins, since they also deal with Lightning/Thunder. Thereare two ways to go about this: 1) Spells can come from any 1st Level list, including Sorc, or 2) Spells can't already be on the Sorc list. I am going to assume that we are going with the former, since several other class subclasses give you "prepared" spells that are already on your list. But I'm going to try to avoid the Sorc spell list where possible, to give the most added variability.

Gold/Red/Brass Dragon Origin: Burning Hands would be most thematic, but to get off the Sorc list, I'll go with Faerie Fire

Black/Copper Dragon Origin: This one is tough, since there aren't many good acid spells in general, and none at first level that Sorcs don't already get. As such, I am going to give them Inflict Wounds

Blue/Bronze/Tempest: Thunderous Smite?

Green: Again, not many great poison options out there, so maybe Purify Food and Drink?

Silver/White: Armor of Agathys

Wild Mage: Going to go in a slightly different direction here, and give them the option of either Bless or Bane

Corran
2017-05-03, 09:38 AM

I dont have a good mind for balance, but I like what you have done with the sorcerer. At first glance I was not pleased due to removing metamagic, but you made the origins sufficiently strong and flavourful for the sorcerer to differentiate from the wizard even though you have them share the same spell list. At least as far as my taste is concerned.

Didnt have a chance to try it yet, and it was some time since I had read your sorcerer rework, so I gave the celestial origin's (aka favored soul) bonus spells a quick look again now, and I think they are really spot on (but that's what I generally remembered anyway from when I had looked at it).

ps: Out of curiosity (and I dont expect a long and tiresome analysis on your part), how did you (roughly?) estimate how many bonus spells you should give the sorcerous origins to bring them on par with the other fullcasters?

JumboWheat01
2017-05-03, 09:42 AM
If it's a single bonus spell for a sorcerer, it would probably be a first level spell, just like Cure Wounds.

Draconic would totally be Chromatic Orb. Why go through all that trouble trying to figure out a spell for each origin when you can give the origin as a whole a spell that works for ALL the breeds.

Wild... umm... how about Silent Image? Something non-blasty to make them more unique, anyway.

Storm should be Witchbolt. Zappy zappy.

Now for some UA ones...

Phoenix should get Burning Hands, for obvious reasons.

Sea... umm... Ice Knife, I guess.

Earth... Shield. To go with their defensive flavor.

Shadow... Ray of Sickness? I don't really think about this origin all that often.

Corran
2017-05-03, 09:57 AM
A lack of spells is a problem for sorcerers. You can overcome it, but it is still annoying. I came up with some metamagic ideas (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?517601-Inverted-Spell-and-other-Sorcerer-Metamagic-Shenanigans) to grant more spells, but in the current game, you don't have much to work with.

I like the inverted and mastered spell the most. Though I like the idea of inverted, I dont think it is a very good execution (cant find sth better to suggest though), because due to the limited picks, I dont think a lot of combinations will see the light of day (such as alarm and sleep). Maybe if it was a feat, and still cost sorcery points, then maybe you could give every combination for more versatility?

I dont like the idea of changing the save (insidious and overwhelming). Not sure if it is too op or not, I just dont think it fixes any of the problems (few spells known, limited spell list), they just add to the power level but they go the wrong way about it.

I like elemental, I would probably like it more if it was just 1 sp to change the damage type to match the tye of your elemental affinity.

Earth... Shield. To go with their defensive flavor.

Or earth tremor?

Kryx
2017-05-03, 01:31 PM
differentiate from the wizard even though you have them share the same spell list.
I did some refactoring a few months back now where I wrote out the Sorcerer spell list (which has 32 less spells than the Wizard)

I gave the celestial origin's (aka favored soul) bonus spells a quick look again now, and I think they are really spot on (but that's what I generally remembered anyway from when I had looked at it).
Thanks!
I may convert the favored soul to use a Cleric domain as they did in the previous UA. I'm unsure if I'll spend the effort though as Celestial is somewhat close.

Out of curiosity (and I dont expect a long and tiresome analysis on your part), how did you (roughly?) estimate how many bonus spells you should give the sorcerous origins to bring them on par with the other fullcasters?
See Caster Comparison (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJAnGX7qgsPqpXv3h76QGGn5vmPgjU1bCzU-7kgBjvw/edit#gid=2077828504). It tries to outline the core differences in spellcasting between the full spellcasters. I compare the spell list size, the number of spells known, the number of spells prepared, and effective spell points. Sorcerer is lacking full spell diversity like a Wizard, Cleric, or Druid has, but it has a larger list to choose from than the Cleric and Druid and more effective spell points than the Wizard, Cleric, and Druid.
So as you've observed my Sorcerer's niche is still limited versatility, with more effective spell points, but now instead of metamagic it focuses on the archetypes which are slightly stronger.

I also made some adjustments based on feedback from my Sorcerer Rework (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?495592-Sorcerer-Rework) thread.

Beechgnome
2017-05-03, 03:27 PM
If it's a single bonus spell for a sorcerer, it would probably be a first level spell, just like Cure Wounds.

Draconic would totally be Chromatic Orb. Why go through all that trouble trying to figure out a spell for each origin when you can give the origin as a whole a spell that works for ALL the breeds.
<snip>

This is simple and sensible. My thought was to offer non-class spells for options that stink like Black Copper and Green and offer spells that play off the breath weapons, lair actions and regional effects:

lack: Bane.
Blue: Thunderwave.
Brass: Sleep.
Bronze: Fog cloud.
Copper: Tasha's Hideous Laughter.
Gold: Bless.
Green: Entangle.
Red: Earth tremor.
Silver: Feather fall.
White: Ice knife.

As for Wild Mage, Dissonant Whispers might work, or perhaps the UA Chaos Bolt.

Your storm, sea and Phoenix are all good choices. Stone as I recall had some bonus choices. Maybe one of them.