PDA

View Full Version : Splitting and Woodland Archer

Gelcur
2017-05-03, 09:58 AM
So I understand by RAW Woodland Archer's Adjust for Range does not stack with itself, so at most you will gain a +4 from it to attack. :smallfrown:

But the wording for it is so odd:

Adjust for Range: To use this maneuver, you must shoot a projectile weapon against a foe and miss. Subsequent shots you take against that foe this round gain a +4 bonus, because you're able to quickly adjust your aim to compensate.

I am having trouble seeing how it would function with a Splitting weapon. My character makes an attack, that splits into two arrows. If the first of the two misses does the 2nd one get the +4 bonus?

What if one hits and one misses, on my next attack the arrow splits do both get a +4?

Both the above scenarios assume I am shooting at the same target.

I guess my confusion comes in the wording of the feat, using the words shoot and shots, instead of attack and attacks. Technically only one arrow is being shot and then it splits... but as far as I know shot isn't really a RAW D&D term.

Help would be appreciated.

ksbsnowowl
2017-05-03, 10:05 AM
Were this to come up in my game, I would treat both arrows from the same split shot to be simultaneous. So you shoot your first arrow, which becomes two, for which you make two attack rolls. If either one misses, then you have fulfilled the situation needed to bring Adjust for Range into effect.

Barstro
2017-05-03, 10:11 AM
By my reading;

Any arrow or bolt fired from a splitting weapon magically splits into two missiles in mid-flight. Both missiles are identical, sharing the nonsplitting properties of the original missile; for example, a +1 splitting arrow splits into two +1 arrows in mid-flight. Both missiles strike the same target. Make a separate attack roll for each missile using the same attack bonus. .

(Adjust for Range) Subsequent shots you take against that foe this round gain a +4 bonus

The "first of two missing" would do nothing because the "second of two" was not from a "Subsequent shot". EDIT: In fact, nothing in the description says that there is a first or second; both shots appear to hit at the same time. The fact that the player has only a single d20 does not change that fact. The attacks resolve simultaneously, despite the timing of the rolls. The flavor text dicta also suggests that it takes another separate attack, since the PC is making a physical adjustment.

The "Subsequent shots" all benefit from +4 because "both share non-splitting properties" and I see nothing that suggests Adjust for Range is only for single arrows, since it is "Subsequent shots", not "next shot".

EDIT: Another fine example of authors refusing to use a legally defined term like "attack", or "attack roll".