PDA

View Full Version : Magic/Psionic Equivalents: Lets match them up!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-31, 10:01 PM
Ok, I'd started something like this this quite some time ago and can't find it again for the life of me.

Anyways, I keep hearing folks saying that there is no difference in magic and psionics except for flavor, that what you can do with one you can do with the other. Well, as one who has at many times had to find magical equivalents for psionic beings, I say thats a bunch of hooey. While many are similar or downright the same thing, a great deal have no real equivalent that I can find.

Lets test this however and begin to match up powers. Lets begin with the A's.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

A's
Adapt Body / Endure Elements (SD)
Affinity Field
Anchored Navigation
Animal Affinity / Bear’s Endurance, Bull’s Strength, Cat's Grace, Eagle’s Splendor, Fox’s Cunning, Owl’s Wisdom
Apopsi
Assimilate
Astral Caravan
Astral Construct
Astral Seed / Clone (SD)
Astral Traveler
Attraction
Aura Alteration
Aura Sight
Aversion

(SD) = Slight Difference. This means the powers do the basic same thing, but one does more or less than the other in addition.

Damionte
2007-07-31, 10:29 PM
What again? Didn't we beat this horse to death a couple weeks ago?

To re-cap, it's not that we can't find psionic versions of magic spells, it's the other way around.

The topic comes up when peeople ask if current psionics are overpowered. The defenders then come out to detail how magic can do what psionic does since in the current system Psionics is bassically just another school of magic in some cases.

Many psionic powers have a magic spell that can do the same thing. Though not vice versa. There are books worth of spells which don't have a psionic equivalent power.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-02, 09:48 AM
Thats all fine and good, but the point of this is to show that there are in fact psionic powers that are not yet copied by magic. That there is actually 'some' difference.

I've tried to convert psionic creatures I've made into magic for those who like the creature but not psionics. Its quite difficult in many cases.