PDA

View Full Version : I knew it!

Belteshazzar
2007-07-31, 10:09 PM
I have long wondered why the Thri Keen art seemed so familiar despite have never heard of them before this year.

I was remembering all of the computer games I have beaten through my life and I remembered a platformer RPG named Ferazel's Wand by a small Macintosh gaming company (yes they do exist Bungie and Blizzard used to be ones.)

Anyway the game was hard, long, full of backtracking, easter eggs, secrets, good music, and a badass little mage character (you know the kind: yellow eyes, a concealing robe and short stature with a proboscis throw in for good measure)

Anyway the main enemies were goblins being lead by a race of sorcerous insects and their Queen. This race the 'Mandatraki' were one of the coolest enemies of my childhood with their crystal throwing maces, powerful spellcasters and a Queen who was nearly impossible to reach and even harder to kill. I think this has all convinced me to make the Thri Keen a major influence in parts of my world.

Matthew
2007-08-02, 07:34 PM
I think that game was published in 1995, which would mean it was predated by Dark Sun. No idea as to the nature of their relationship.

Belteshazzar
2007-08-02, 07:59 PM
Ohh I know that. I was just sure I had seen the Thri Keen before despite never having played DnD before last year. It just seemed to familiar but I could not place it.

I am already thinking of other minors races to add to their hive (I know standard Thri Keen are not hive insects but it works for me.) Perhaps rework some the Abiels as winged nobles and Umber Hulks for heavy digging and lifting. All I need then is to modify some small or tiny race (not sure which) to be Habnabits and I should be set.

Greenfaun
2007-08-02, 10:12 PM
Hey! I played Ferazel's wand! Man, that was years and years ago...

Thanks for the random nostalgia-burst. :)

Belteshazzar
2007-08-02, 11:27 PM
Yeh, I like sticking little references from games and culture into my gameworld. Maybe the Dromites and Blues can be blended into a good facsimile of Habnabits. But I am still not sure what size category they would fit in. I remember Habnabits as being rather small.