PDA

View Full Version : Help with a gestalt Sorcerer\monk

sage20500
2017-05-03, 01:13 PM
Ok, so group is getting ready to start War of the Burning Sky with a party of 3. I was feeling bored with the past couple of characters ive played recently so i wanted to try something new, came up with the idea of trying to play someone like natsu that just punches people in the face with magic.

Stats i rolled were 14 Str, 18 Dex, 18 Con, 16 Int, 16 Wis, 18 Cha.

Race I'm going is lesser Celadrin, will be using the Magic Blooded template if dm oks it.

Only homebrew in use for the game is that we get a feat at 1st, and every even level after that, and im allowed to use a suggested sorcerer fix, (eschew materials at 1, a metamagic at 5,10,15,20, and on the sorcerer spell chart add a 0 at every odd level for number of spells per day of the next level so that i can prc at the same time other casters could)

Im currently using the east wind training sorcerer acf from the campaign which lets all of my monk abilitys work off cha in place of my familar, and im debating between using either the hunter monk or sidewinder monk as my monk acf.

Feats i currently have, Anarchic bloodline(level 1 feat), Clawed Spell (bonus feat, dm ruled that it functions as intended if i use it with a channled unarmed strike), weapon finesse (monk feat, tiger style), escew materials (sorcerer feat), east wind training style (sorcerer acf replacement feat). Our group is using action points because one of the other characters is an artificer, how ever the dm has ruled that using an action point to meta magic a spell cost a number of action points = to the cost of the feat (so clawed spell only takes 1 action point, but empowered takes 2)

Spells known currently, shocking grasp, color spray, and grease.

Rules wise, all 1st party material is allowed, dragon magazines are allowed.

Pretty much looking for ideas for where to take the character. I'm liking the idea of potentially becoming either a ray or melee touch gish, also like the idea of occasionally being able to nuke areas. Spells that i currently am aiming to grab on my wishlist are baleful polymorph and flesh to ice that will probably be a staple of the characters along with shocking grasp. Prc's ive looked at that i liked so far included war wizard of cormyr and War Mage, i think spellguard of silverymoon was also interesting, but for now im wanting to focus on more the flavor of being a "dragon slayer". Kind of considering the idea of taking the half dragon racial levels on the monk side as well to become a half dragon...

Anyone have any suggestions for how to go about turning these ideas of mine into a fun character for both myself and the group?

Red Fel
2017-05-03, 01:56 PM
First, you ought to consider reserve feats. As opposed to fire-and-lose spells, reserve feats allow you to use an ability at any time, any number of times, so long as you have a spell of the appropriate level and type available to cast. For a Natsu-type character, the one you want is Fiery Burst (Complete Mage), which lets you generate a 5-foot-radius burst of Fire anywhere within 30 feet, dealing Xd6 Fire damage, where X is the highest level of Fire spell you have available. Although, since you're East Wind-themed, you might instead consider Storm Bolt (fires an Xd6 line of Lightning damage) or Clap of Thunder (Xd6 Sonic touch attack, secondary Deafness effect).

Second, consider an alternative to your classes. As opposed to Monk, the Battle Dancer class (Dragon Compendium) is Cha-based. It gets full BAB instead of Monk's partial BAB, gains various unarmed bonuses like a Monk (but not Flurry of Blows), gains Cha-to-AC, and gets several other Tumble-based bonuses. It's also Chaotic instead of Lawful.

And as opposed to Sorcerer, consider Warlock (Complete Arcane). Fewer abilities, but Invocations are at-will abilities instead of limited-use powers. You gain a blasting ability by default, which you can customize in various ways, as well as things like flight and tactical teleportation. As a bonus, with the right combination of feats (Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike, both from Dragon Magazine) you can neatly blend Warlock with a Monk-type class, by causing your fists to burn with raw elemental power and then pummeling your enemies with them.

Which is, I think, kind of what you're describing.

Dagroth
2017-05-03, 02:26 PM
Try to arrange your class levels so that you get +1 BAB every character level.

That usually means you have to start with something besides Monk//Sorcerer at 1st.

Fighter (gets you a Feat), Warblade (gets you good HP and some nice abilities), Paladin (you'll eventually want at least 2 levels of Paladin... your DM seems the forgiving sort, see if he'll allow free multiclassing for Paladin/Monk), Duskblade (Arcane channeling is right there in the class).

Make sure you get the Ascetic Mage feat so that you get Cha-to-AC instead of Wis-to-AC.

sage20500
2017-05-03, 03:07 PM
Ive already played a warlock\\battledancer grappler before, so trying to stay away from that if possible, i was mainly looking at using sorcer so id have a few blasty options available to use, followed by some other utility like baleful polymorph (i really want to finally play the character that sheeps people), some of the more fun fog cloud spells, etc. Warlock invocations why unlimited just dont have as much potential utility for battle field control options.

Originally thought of taking a few levels of paladin for the cha to saves, but dm's rule for multiclassing is that it if you do it needs to be done for more than just mechanical reasons, and as of now Garreth has not been coming off as a rather religious or ideological type of person.

So apparently as for arcane channeling, so long as i dont mind not full attacking (i dont), acording to my dm by raw you can channel melee touch attacks with unarmed strike so long as you have improved unarmed strike, im just now targetting regular ac instead of touch ac with said attack.