PDA

View Full Version : Damage as a move action

Aximili
2007-07-31, 10:31 PM
Easy question. Can any body tell me a way of doing damage as a move (or free) action?
It can be absolutely any kind and amount damage, as long as the one who is causing the damage doesn't take backlash damage or something.

It's just a loop me and a friend were thinking of, in which the character only has the move action left.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-07-31, 10:34 PM
If you have the Cloud of Knives spell from the PHB II cast, you can fire a dagger at someone as a free action once a round.

BardicDuelist
2007-07-31, 10:35 PM
Quickened Spell?

Othe than that, Cloud of Knives is the only thing I can think of.

Edit: Ninja'd

UglyPanda
2007-07-31, 10:38 PM
Flaming sphere (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsFtoG.html#flaming-sphere) as a move action, a rather useless spell someone I knew was rather fond of. He ironically never had fireball on his spell lists.

If you need to do damage to yourself, you could step on a caltrop.

Lemur
2007-07-31, 11:00 PM
It's a bit of a stretch, but a character with the Shadow Pounce class ability (Telflammar Shadowlord, Crinti Shadow Marauder) and the Shadow Hand manuever Shadow Stride could get a full attack as a move action. It could also be done with the Shadow Blink manuever as a swift action.

Hallavast
2007-07-31, 11:13 PM
Ball Lightning from the Spell Compendium can also be directed as a move action.

Aximili
2007-07-31, 11:41 PM
The problem with using spells for this purpose is that the loop will be reapted for an indefinite number of rounds, so anything that's limited in use/day is kinda off the point (yeah, that limits it a lot).

Perhaps a magic item that maintains a permanent continuous ball of lightning or similar spell. I'll check into the rules.

(Telflammar Shadowlord, Crinti Shadow Marauder)

What are these?

Amiria
2007-08-01, 02:44 AM
What are these?

Prestige Classes from Forgotten Realms sourcebooks. Telflammar Shadowlord is from Unapproachable East. Crinti Shadow Marauder is from Shining South.

JackMage666
2007-08-01, 03:46 AM
So, what exactly is the loop you're thinking of?

tsuuga
2007-08-01, 08:30 AM
Quintessential Monk (pretty sure that's the book) has a monk feat called Flip Kick, which gets you an unarmed AoO whenever you tumble through an enemy's square. Combine with Combat reflexes, a high move speed, and some way to reliably get 25 on a tumble check (one of those feats that lets you take 10 in combat), and you're golden.

Keld Denar
2007-08-01, 08:46 AM
Improved Trip + Elusive Target (CW) would get you attacks when ever you provoke an AoO from movement and your opponent misses. That triggers a trip from Elusive Target which, if successful, would incure a followup attack. You can make as many "move attacks" as you have opponents and/or AoOs, whichever is less.

Monk Abundant Step ability, which is a move action, combined with the Sun School tactical feat from (CW) gives you a free attack at the end of every dimension door (or dimension door-like ability). Therefore, you could hit someone once, then blink behind them and hit them again as your move. (or a marshall could grant you a move action, in which you could Abundant Step with Sun School and bean someone on the back of the head.

Other than that, usually controlling spells is a move, such as redirecting a spiritual weapon or the above mentioned ball lightning. Directing trained animals is also a move action, but you technically aren't doing damage, the controlled animal is.

Free actions would be either quickened normal damage spells, or swift spells. I'm not sure if there are any swift direct damage spells, though.

Person_Man
2007-08-01, 09:01 AM
Anything that generates AoO will work.

For example, Elusive Target gives you free Trip (and follow up attack) against anyone who misses an AoO against you due to movement. You then get a free follow up attack. Or Gnome Tunnel Acrobatics allows you to force Enemy A to attack Enemy B if you succeed on Tumble checks in two consecutive rounds.

If you have the Improved Grab and Constrict or Swallow Whole ability, you can Grapple your enemy on one turn, and then continue fighting while dealing damage to your initial target automatically. (A Druid or Wildshape Ranger or anyone with Polymorph can pull it off).

There are also a number of ways to deal bleed damage to your enemy. For example, the Arterial Strike feat lets you give up 1d6 of Sneak Attack, and the enemy bleeds 1 hit point per round until magically healed or bandaged with a DC 15 Heal check.

ideasmith
2007-08-01, 09:24 AM
Trample.

Aximili
2007-08-01, 09:04 PM
Ok, I apologise. This thread is completely pointless. I just realized the loop doesn't work. :smallredface:

Thank you all for your time.

Bassetking
2007-08-01, 09:26 PM
Ok, I apologise. This thread is completely pointless. I just realized the loop doesn't work. :smallredface:

Thank you all for your time.

Hold up! Toss us the concept, and we'll see if we can get something running! Don't just let the idea fizzle... throw us the bone, and let us gnaw on it a bit.:smallbiggrin: