PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Eldritch knight/Wizard combo? Or full knight?

poolio
2017-05-03, 02:28 PM
Greetings you loveable bunch of scallywags,
So I'm about to hit fourth level and I'm trying to decide if adding wizard to my EK would be worth losing my higher level fighter abilities.

Pros: .higher level spells, and slots for said spells

.Additional utility from ritual casting

.Wizard features from chosen school

Cons: .Slower ASI/feat progression
.Slower extra attack progression (plan on at least
Getting third attack)
.Not getting extra action surge

If i did multy i was thinking divination for the school, or possibly abjuration, but the divination abilities seem so much better, if anyone has any suggestions for other schools I'm all ears, and i could use advice for spells as well, never played a wiz before, but i have played a knight and am familiar with their spell load outs,

Just thought a multy class would be a fun way to make this knight different then my last.

So any and all suggestions are welcomed, even other classes to multi into or add to the mix, and feat choices,

And almost forgot, race is gnome and stats are 18, 12, 14, 13, 18, 10, this is after modifiers (we rolled stats and I'm know for being rather lucky in my group when we do that :smalltongue: )

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to read this wall of txt and offer some advice to a newbie would be wizard:smallwink:

Tanarii
2017-05-03, 02:49 PM
white room analysis: Multi class. Unless they're using GWM or Sharpshooter, War Magic's attack/can trip rotation almost always mathematically superior to the Attack Action attacks. Especially once Eldritch Strike comes online, or if you have access to the SCAG can trips.

(To crystal clear, this is based purely on the math involved. I've never seen a high level EK in play.)

MadBear
2017-05-03, 02:51 PM
Greetings you loveable bunch of scallywags,
So I'm about to hit fourth level and I'm trying to decide if adding wizard to my EK would be worth losing my higher level fighter abilities.

Pros: .higher level spells, and slots for said spells

.Additional utility from ritual casting

.Wizard features from chosen school

Cons: .Slower ASI/feat progression
.Slower extra attack progression (plan on at least
Getting third attack)
.Not getting extra action surge

If i did multy i was thinking divination for the school, or possibly abjuration, but the divination abilities seem so much better, if anyone has any suggestions for other schools I'm all ears, and i could use advice for spells as well, never played a wiz before, but i have played a knight and am familiar with their spell load outs,

Just thought a multy class would be a fun way to make this knight different then my last.

So any and all suggestions are welcomed, even other classes to multi into or add to the mix, and feat choices,

And almost forgot, race is gnome and stats are 18, 12, 14, 13, 18, 10, this is after modifiers (we rolled stats and I'm know for being rather lucky in my group when we do that :smalltongue: )

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to read this wall of txt and offer some advice to a newbie would be wizard:smallwink:

What you're going to get out of it is going to depend entirely on how much wizard your going to take.

If you don't take at least 9 levels of wizard you won't be getting higher level spells (but you will get higher slots)

With that said, what's your characters goal? Are you a FIGHTER with a little bit of wizard, a WIZARD with a little bit of fighter? If your goal is to be someone who kicks butt and utilizes a few spells, just go full EK.

If you want to be a wizard who can handle using a sword, grap 5 levels of EK (for the Extra attack) and then go wizard. (although in that case, going blade singer might have been a better option, or valor bard).

Belltent
2017-05-03, 03:13 PM
If UAs are allowed then War Magic Wizard might be worth a look. 2 levels lets you burn your reaction to gain +2 AC or +4 to a concentration save, and lets you add your INT to your initiative rolls (in addition to DEX.)

Chunkosaurus
2017-05-03, 03:25 PM
I'd go EK8/WizardX I would rush to get war magic online because that will make you the magical fighter that you want to be. As far as what type of wizard to pick I would give two options. The first is abjuration which you mentioned abjuration ward is awesome and the abilities synergize well with EK. If your DM allows UA however the recent War Magic wizard is a fantastic option that synergizes amazingly with EK. Arcane deflection is perfect for you since you already rely on SCAG cantrips with warmagic, so there is little opportunity cost for you. Tactical wit is great as more initiative is good. Power Surge is great for any AOE spell you take. And finally Durable Magic will just make you even better at being a fighter +2 to all saves and AC makes you very durable.

If you want more of a dip and to mostly be a fighter I would recommend EK15-16/Bladesinger X. This will give you the big bonuses of bladesinging while allowing you most of the high level benefits of a fighter.

BoxANT
2017-05-03, 03:33 PM
I am facing a similar decision (lvl5 EK human sword/board).

Getting 7 levels of EK for War Magic seems essential (as when combined w booming blade does is effective).

When to start taking wizard levels is tricky. An 8th level of EK grabs quick ASI and lets you also grab Blur. Taking a 9th level of EK picks up Indomitable and also brings you to a level 3 caster when considering multiclassing (EK ÷3). If you then start taking wizard, you'll have 3rd level spell slots by 11 (as opposed to 13 w pure EK).

Its a tough call.

Specter
2017-05-03, 03:40 PM
You can't go wrong with any EK/Wizard level distribution. That said, you have to define your properties. If you want to focus on fighting, go to EK7 for War Magic, which will let your damage scale up to level 17. You won't get a third attack, but at least you cantrip will deal +1d8 damage at that level.

If you want to focus on magic, just grab EK3 and then Wizard up (until you feel you need more attacking power, if ever).

Diviner's ability is indeed great, but it's only twice a day, so on long days it will be less awesome. I say go Abjurer, and add hit points to yourself every time you cast Shield. Can't go wrong. Also, the guide in my signature may help.

Desteplo
2017-05-03, 04:49 PM
Keep in mind 1/3 spellcaster isn't every level divisible by 3
-if you look at the chart, it's (/3)+1
-3-4-7etc is your spell level progression for ek

poolio
2017-05-03, 04:54 PM
You can't go wrong with any EK/Wizard level distribution. That said, you have to define your properties. If you want to focus on fighting, go to EK7 for War Magic, which will let your damage scale up to level 17. You won't get a third attack, but at least you cantrip will deal +1d8 damage at that level.

If you want to focus on magic, just grab EK3 and then Wizard up (until you feel you need more attacking power, if ever).

Diviner's ability is indeed great, but it's only twice a day, so on long days it will be less awesome. I say go Abjurer, and add hit points to yourself every time you cast Shield. Can't go wrong. Also, the guide in my signature may help.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out the guide, I'm sure it'll help.

And my original planning was to just go full EK and slice my problems away, i took dueling fighting style, and my dm is allowing us to take feats from some expanded feats book (the nsme escapes me right now) and it had feats for
Weapon specialization, which after the two feats i was planing on, would make my weapon of choice magical while in my hands, give it a +2 to hit and a +3 to damage, that combined with my fighting style and 18 STR would give me 1d8 + 9 on each hit, which is why i was just going to go EK and end up with 5 attacks (one extra attack when i have haste on myself) so i would do 5d8 + 45, which i thought was pretty good for a regular every turn attack :smalltongue:

But then i started to notice a lack a arcane mastery in my group and thought filling that role could be fun but i wasn't sure what to expect out of the wizard class, having little to no experience with it before, and didn't know how well it would mesh with what i had been going for before now.