PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Did I mess up on the Full attack rules?

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-03, 04:52 PM
From the SRD

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. You do not need to specify the targets of your attacks ahead of time. You can see how the earlier attacks turn out before assigning the later ones.

So, a Dire Ape has a BAB of +3. Is it able to make a full attack? It has a full attack line entry of:

2 claws +8 melee (1d6+6) and bite +3 melee (1d8+3)
Is it able to do this? Is this a stupid question? It doesn't have any feats that give it extra attacks.

icefractal
2017-05-03, 04:56 PM
Yes. Natural weapons use different rules than iterative attacks.
You can use all of them that you have, once each, regardless of BAB.

If the ape was also using a weapon, it could only make one attack with that, but it could still make the rest of its natural attacks as secondary attacks (like the bite is) - minus the claw that it's using to hold said weapon, obviously.

Rebel7284
2017-05-03, 04:58 PM
When making a full attack, you can attack with all your natural weapons regardless of your BAB. Secondary natural weapons have a penalty when doing this, although the Multiattack feat lessens it.

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-03, 04:58 PM
Yes. Natural weapons use different rules than iterative attacks.
Plus, even a 1st level character can have multiple attacks in a full attack if they have Two-Weapon Fighting.

Thank you for the response. I was really hoping I'd messed up.

ksbsnowowl
2017-05-03, 08:37 PM
Thank you for the response. I was really hoping I'd messed up.

You're upset that you did things correctly?

Telonius
2017-05-03, 09:11 PM
So how close to a TPK was it?

Jack_Simth
2017-05-03, 09:14 PM

Telonius seems to have a good grasp on why Zexionthefirst might be upset about doing it right. If Zexionthefirst had messed up, and could point to "oops, I missed rule X, the encounter wasn't supposed to be that hard" and follow up with "so let's reset and run it again..." but if it was done right, well...

Jeff the Green
2017-05-03, 09:44 PM
minus the claw that it's using to hold said weapon, obviously.

It's not necessarily obvious. It's a free action to take your hand off a two-handed weapon, so if the dire ape were wielding a spear it could stab, take a hand off, swipe, put it back on, take the other hand off, and swipe again.

JNAProductions
2017-05-03, 10:09 PM
To be fair, I'm a glass cannon. 4d6+3 damage per swing (at one swing, for now) but crap for AC...

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-03, 10:15 PM

Yes. Though, less upset now then I was at the moment of posting this.

That Rend, man. The REND... Not a TPK, but technically dropped a player from full health to -18.

To be fair, I'm a glass cannon. 4d6+3 damage per swing (at one swing, for now) but crap for AC...

More like Glass pickax. :wink:

ksbsnowowl
2017-05-03, 11:10 PM
Telonius seems to have a good grasp on why Zexionthefirst might be upset about doing it right. If Zexionthefirst had messed up, and could point to "oops, I missed rule X, the encounter wasn't supposed to be that hard" and follow up with "so let's reset and run it again..." but if it was done right, well...I suspected as much, but I still don't see what there is to be upset about. If you ran it right, and the PC's died... that's on them, or the dice, not necessarily the DM (unless he set up the encounter unfairly, somehow). If a Dire Ape hit with every attack, he's doing possibly as high as 56 points of damage with a full attack. Adventuring is dangerous work.

That Rend, man. The REND... Not a TPK, but technically dropped a player from full health to -18.

Okay, now you've got to tell us details about the party. Four 2nd level characters? Third level?

Crake
2017-05-03, 11:16 PM

More like Glass pickax. :wink:

That'll teach your players to stand in melee with a creature capable of ripping them to shreds instead of using hit and run tactics, especially at a level where they gain no benefit from remaining stationary due to no natural attacks :smalltongue: Just think of it as a teachable moment.

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-03, 11:31 PM
I suspected as much, but I still don't see what there is to be upset about. If you ran it right, and the PC's died... that's on them, or the dice, not necessarily the DM (unless he set up the encounter unfairly, somehow). If a Dire Ape hit with every attack, he's doing possibly as high as 56 points of damage with a full attack. Adventuring is dangerous work.

Okay, now you've got to tell us details about the party. Four 2nd level characters? Third level?

Four 3rd level characters. It was a based off of a random encounter table... Which upon further inspection may not be appropriate for a group of their level. It all worked out though. And, on a positive note: I got clarification on Full Attacks and natural attacks. :smallcool:

That'll teach your players to stand in melee with a creature capable of ripping them to shreds instead of using hit and run tactics, especially at a level where they gain no benefit from remaining stationary due to no natural attacks :smalltongue: Just think of it as a teachable moment.

To be fair, she used her movement to get into attack range of the Dire Ape. But, regardless, it's been worked out. We're all good now. :smallcool:

John Longarrow
2017-05-03, 11:34 PM
Rend, man. The REND... Not a TPK, but technically dropped a player from full health to -18.

Normally a PC is dead at -10, so I'm guessing your not playing standard 3.5 then?

Elkad
2017-05-03, 11:43 PM
Normally a PC is dead at -10, so I'm guessing your not playing standard 3.5 then?

He didn't say the player lived, just that it wasn't a TPK.

But using negative con for death is a pretty common houserule (and the actual rules for PF).

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-03, 11:58 PM

House rule that you die at the inverse of your Con modifier score.

He didn't say the player lived, just that it wasn't a TPK.

But using negative con for death is a pretty common houserule (and the actual rules for PF).

Nailed it in one.

Crake
2017-05-04, 12:09 AM
Four 3rd level characters. It was a based off of a random encounter table... Which upon further inspection may not be appropriate for a group of their level. It all worked out though. And, on a positive note: I got clarification on Full Attacks and natural attacks. :smallcool:

To be fair, she used her movement to get into attack range of the Dire Ape. But, regardless, it's been worked out. We're all good now. :smallcool:

Could have readied for the ape to move in, that way preventing it from getting a full attack, while getting your attack in and still being able to move away next round. Ah well, live and learn... or die and learn i guess :smalltongue:

weckar
2017-05-04, 04:45 AM
House rule that you die at the inverse of your Con modifier.
Yikes, so if I had a CON of 6 I'd die at 2HP?

Allanimal
2017-05-04, 05:35 AM

That is harsh.
And how did a 3rd level character get a Con score of 46?

ksbsnowowl
2017-05-04, 10:02 AM

How are you coming up with that?

In his house rule, if you had a Con of 6, you'd die at –6 hp's.

(Though an oft-used adjustment to that rule is you die at –10 or negative Con score, whichever is better).

Edit: Just saw that the OP said the inverse of your Con modifier... pretty sure he meant the inverse of you Con score.

weckar
2017-05-04, 10:04 AM
He said modifier, not score.

Zexionthefirst
2017-05-04, 10:52 PM

That was a mistake on my part. I'm so used to typing "modifier" after Con, it just sort of slipped into my response. They die at the inverse of their Constitution Score.

That is harsh.
And how did a 3rd level character get a Con score of 46?

That was a flub on my part. Sorry.

How are you coming up with that?

In his house rule, if you had a Con of 6, you'd die at –6 hp's.

(Though an oft-used adjustment to that rule is you die at –10 or negative Con score, whichever is better).

Edit: Just saw that the OP said the inverse of your Con modifier... pretty sure he meant the inverse of you Con score.

I messed up. Thank you for defending me though. :smallredface:

He said modifier, not score.

I shall edit post haste.

Khedrac
2017-05-05, 02:14 AM
They die at the inverse of their Constitution Score.:smallamused::smallamused::smallamused:

Thank-you for the moment of laughter, :smallbiggrin: and yes, we all know what you really meant, but I think I should point out that "inverse" (without other context) means 1 divided by the number - so this would be a range from one third to one eighteenth...

zergling.exe
2017-05-05, 02:24 AM
:smallamused::smallamused::smallamused:

Thank-you for the moment of laughter, :smallbiggrin: and yes, we all know what you really meant, but I think I should point out that "inverse" (without other context) means 1 divided by the number - so this would be a range from one third to one eighteenth...

That is one meaning of inverse, inverse proportion I believe. Anyway, there are a bunch of other meanings, where -X is the inverse of X. And these meanings are more commonly used.