PDA

View Full Version : Crowd source creation: The Ring of Many Places

Grizl' Bjorn
2017-05-03, 07:22 PM
I'm working on a homebrew artifact called "The Ring of Many Places". The Ring of Many Places is effectively a teleporting ring with 100 destinations. Despite the similarity in nomenclature it is not intended to be as deadly as the Deck of Many things- though it is still dangerous... I want to crowdsource about half the locations, which I'll pick from the my favourite responses here. If your work does get used it won't be used for any commercial purposes and I'll give you credit.

From a metagame perspective, the ring is for DM's who thrive on improvisation- you've got a sentence (or a paragraph MAX) describing the destination, and you've got to ad lib from there. In game you select the destination through a series of minature dials, and if you take note of the settings you can use them to return to where you've been. Out of game, you roll a d100 to select where the players end up.

Here's a sample of the ideas I've had so far. I'd love to get entries and feedback on the idea.

x. A flat desert expanse filled with wild life that has somehow adapted to eating and drinking at mirages.
x. A world where humans are farmed and eaten like cattle by giants who look like Greek Statues (in their modern, non painted condition).
x. A divine medieval stock exchange where souls, worship and sacrificial animals are traded.
x. A brothel visited by furtive, guilty eyed angels.
x. A medium sized gnomish city full of wizards living in comically precarious towers. Magic still works perfectly and is mechanically exactly the same, but presents itself in the form of technology. A wizard who cast charm person for example might find that a mind controlling pheromone gadget projected from their wrist, zombies are revealed to be electronically reanimated a la Frankenstein etc.
x. A world of wild living dice rolling around in herds.
x. A place a lot like Plato’s heaven... and Dante's hell.
x. A vast cave system with painted animals on the walls. The paintings are animate and live, give birth, die etc. just like real animals. The characters may enter into the paintings by tapping on them.

Grizl' Bjorn
2017-05-03, 07:33 PM
Oh: it bears saying- entries should be entirely system neutral, and should also be setting neutral as far as is possible. Setting neutrality example: dragons are fine, 'ancient blue dragon' is not, because that's a specifically D&D thing, demons are fine 't'nari' (or however you spell the damn word!) are not, because that's a specifically D&D thing.

If you've got a really awesome idea that necessairly involves a D&D specific thing, chuck it in anyway! I'd hate to block a great entry just because Beholders or Ithilids were central to it, but try to use setting neutral stuff wherever possible.

Crisis21
2017-05-04, 12:55 PM
* A world where everything is much the same as the world the PCs hail from... except the names. (ex. Elves are called dwarves, dwarves are called anvils, anvils are called paladins, paladins are called dragons, dragons are called humans, humans are called bigsby's grasping hands, etc.)
* <insert setting here> IN SPACE!

rferries
2017-05-05, 12:04 AM
Looks like fun!

x An infinitely complex clockwork labyrinth where time has no meaning. It's possible to solve the labyrinth in such a way that you emerge in the far future or distant past.
x A great city-world where humans reign as supreme as they do in most other campaign settings, but this time they are far crueler and more tyrannical about it. All other natural and supernatural entities live in fear of being enslaved or even consumed...
x A cosmic amoeba; various organelles correspond to cities/planets of other planes; ships travel at interstellar speeds through the cytoplasm (instead of vacuum) from vacuole to vacuole. In spite of it's alien/Far Realm nature the amoeba is entirely benevolent and everything radiates Goodness.
x The forge of creation; blinding radiance and thunderous noise everywhere to the point that any visitor is blinded and terrified, but when they escape they discover they've been de-aged to the prime of their lives once again and all their wounds have healed.
x The end of time (or the beginning) - a quiet planet where gentle breezes shift the silver-white dunes of the desert, perpetual moonlit night, black oceans reflecting the moon and stars, benign skeletal undead sitting on the shores quietly contemplating philosophy with all the time in the world. Unlike the next entry entropy has stopped due to the serene natures of these undead and their idyllic universe will survive indefinitely. They are friendly and sagacious with all visitors.
x A parallel universe of the above - a collapsing midnight red-black universe where even the youngest stars have all long since become red giants, populated by malevolent incorporeal undead, the pinnacle spellcasting civilization who all became wraiths and intend to drain the life-force of other universes to rejuvenate their own (and they've done it successfully many, many times...)
x The wish dimension. Anyone here can effectively use wish at will (and not at will, since even subconscious desires manifest); this can be frightening but ultimately no one can be harmed as the entire plane was artificially constructed by an ancient race/deity and safeguards were included. People leave with epiphanies (xp or equivalent) about themselves , assuming they want to leave.

Knaight
2017-05-05, 12:39 AM
x. The Port Of Three Lands, where the land meets the sea meets the void of space at the edge of the world, with a massive port city at the intersection.
x. A bizarre world where quantum effects exist obviously at human scale, and form the technological basis of this world's cultures.
x. A wild continent containing a dozen ancient intelligences that live in natural wonders and dispense magical knowledge.
x. Seven kingdoms, each of which exists in a monochrome land, arranged to the colors of a rainbow and fitting the metaphysical traits of those colors.
x. The Path of Time, a microkingdom of 100 square miles, repeated in a line and advancing a year at a time, each instance ever changing due to changes in the earlier kingdoms.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-05, 06:28 AM
A shark cage in the water surrounded by odoriferous chum with a pack of gibbering sharks ramming the cage. An harmless guy with a weird breathing apparatus is there.

Grizl' Bjorn
2017-05-06, 04:42 AM
Knaight can you expand your path of time entry? Not quite sure I get it.

Leucis
2017-05-06, 07:13 AM
- An isolated town composing of only taverns, but with a very nice, thriving economy
- A city in constant glamorous celebration of something every day, whether it be a new baby in the royal family was born or a townsfolk recovered from a regular cough.
- A place where only bright, fully saturated colors exist

rferries
2017-05-06, 03:48 PM
Knaight can you expand your path of time entry? Not quite sure I get it.

I think it's a long line of adjacent kingdoms/cities, which are in fact all the same city but at different points in time. For example a fire happening in city B would result in a blackened ruin in the next city (C), and the city after that (D) would have repaired buildings. And an enterprising adventurer could walk from city D to an earlier city (A) and stop the fire from ever happening by killing the arsonist there -so the fire doesn't happen in city B and the original buildings are restored to C and D as well.

Now I want an example of what the quantum effects one is like -people can see electrons and tell exactly where they are and how fast they're moving, I suppose? :D

Knaight
2017-05-14, 09:15 PM
I think it's a long line of adjacent kingdoms/cities, which are in fact all the same city but at different points in time. For example a fire happening in city B would result in a blackened ruin in the next city (C), and the city after that (D) would have repaired buildings. And an enterprising adventurer could walk from city D to an earlier city (A) and stop the fire from ever happening by killing the arsonist there -so the fire doesn't happen in city B and the original buildings are restored to C and D as well.

Now I want an example of what the quantum effects one is like -people can see electrons and tell exactly where they are and how fast they're moving, I suppose? :D

Pretty much - each is a year ahead of the former, time effects propogate downward, etc.

As for the quantum effects, it's more like there being certain things which are macroscopic and act like quantum things. You might be able to make a shield (as in the thing in soft sci-fi star ships) with a macroscopic matter wave, which grows and shrinks by nigh instantly jumping between specific states and dropping off what is basically a massive photon that only interacts with these other special macroquanta.