PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating "Talents"

Lorddenorstrus
2017-05-04, 01:47 AM
I'm starting a game soon I've been working on for the last few months and only just recently got a group of players to start with. It's to the best of my ability, a world based on the Overlord light novel. Several figures in the world are shown to have talents.
Ex; Nfireas innate talent allows him to equip and use any magical items. http://overlordmaruyama.wikia.com/wiki/Talents

I wanted to possibly expand on the list a bit, make up some more and let my players roll during character creation to see what random talent they might get. So, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Has anyone used anything similar before?

Gildedragon
2017-05-04, 09:25 AM
Those sound like feats

SwitcherOccifer
2017-05-04, 10:29 AM
It sounds a lot like adding "traits". Without a balance, the toon can be easily broken. Look to balance the "talents" with "flaws", "quirks", and/or "curses". The balance is important. Adding a class skill to a character, without worrying about cross training, could mean losing a class skill AND a skill point per level. Regularly, you'd lose a skill point to cross train, but swapping out that skill will essentially make it a character skill and you won't have to worry about cross training while dipping into other classes.
Also... that example above has a different balance for different classes. The weight of a martial class gaining Tumble vs a rogue gaining a second Perform skill, for example. I rarely have a problem with skill swapping, as long as it makes sense.
A quirk is more or less a flavored baby boost to a skill(s) with a negative to another skill(s). The negative is typically higher, which is par for the course.
If you're looking more for cheap and easy feats, consider flaws or curses. It's like a feat per counter-feat. Wanna wield a race specific weapon as a different race? Cursed gloves! You can now progress through the proficiency tree for that weapon, but you can't use any other weapons with any proficiency and the gloves won't come off until the curse is lifted. A smaller example would be like a character that hates wearing boots also can't be flat-footed or some such.
A talent might be knowing close up magic, giving a character minor 0-lvl spells for RP purposes, but she might want to show off her talents at inappropriate times, or she might have trouble with spot and listen checks because she's thinking about magic all the time. Maybe she has "magic sickness", similar to Golem's obsession with a certain ring? Ever wonder why witches are covered with boils and have green skin? Take a hit to charisma as well as its applied skills.
But, hey, that's just my opinion, and I'm the new guy.

Psyren
2017-05-04, 11:51 AM
Mythic Powers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-heroes/mythic-paths-paizo-inc/), individually cribbed from the various paths, could make for good Talents I think.

For example, one character could be exceptionally talented at identifying spells and magic items:

Deep Understanding (Ex)

You automatically identify any arcane spell cast within 60 feet of you if it’s on your class’s spell list and you’re of a high enough level to cast it. Whenever you attempt to identify a non-artifact magic item using detect magic, you automatically learn its properties and command words in the first round of the spell (no Spellcraft roll needed), but you can’t automatically determine whether it’s cursed.

One can charge across even a crowded battlefield like a juggernaut:

Burst Through (Ex)

When you charge, you can move through allies and opponents almost as if they were not there to obstruct your path. You can move through squares containing allies freely, but you must succeed at an overrun combat maneuver check for each opponent that obstructs your path to the target of your charge.

If the result of the check exceeds the opponent’s CMD, you may move through the opponent’s square and continue toward the target without provoking an attack of opportunity from that opponent. If you fail any of these combat maneuver checks, your movement ends in the square before that opponent, but you may resolve the charge attack against the foe that stopped you.

And one can slip out of magical restraints and even escape paralysis:

Master of Escape (Su)

You can use the Escape Artist skill to break free from spells and magical effects that limit your movement or actions. While you’re subject to a spell or effect that gives you the entangled, grappled, paralyzed, pinned, staggered, or stunned condition, once per round as a free action, you can attempt an Escape Artist check to end the condition. The DC for this check is equal to the save DC of the spell or effect that caused the condition. If you succeed, you end one such condition on yourself (your choice), though this doesn’t make you immune to similar effects from the same source (such as moving through black tentacles or web). If the spell or effect doesn’t allow a saving throw, you can’t use this ability to overcome it.

You would only need to come up with some scaling resource to represent tier and mythic pool for the powers that require those numbers. Say for example that their "tier" = 1/4 their HD.

Morphic tide
2017-05-04, 12:16 PM
I'd have the Talents be a matter of build-assist things beyond the usual power of Feats and be something the players come up with. For example, one Talent might be the ability to expend spell slots to deal 1d10 or 2d4 Force damage for each spell level expended, or a single endlessly scaling version of Weapon Focus/Specialization for one weapon, or automatically having full BAB for all hit dice.

If you want them to be unique, ask the players to come up with one thing for their character to have, and judge if it is in line with the strength of some pre-defined set of them. If it isn't, if you think the ability is too strong, then work with them to make a single ability that ties their build together in a coherent fashion.

Lorddenorstrus
2017-05-04, 01:00 PM
Mythic Powers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-heroes/mythic-paths-paizo-inc/), individually cribbed from the various paths, could make for good Talents I think.

For example, one character could be exceptionally talented at identifying spells and magic items:

Deep Understanding (Ex)

You automatically identify any arcane spell cast within 60 feet of you if it’s on your class’s spell list and you’re of a high enough level to cast it. Whenever you attempt to identify a non-artifact magic item using detect magic, you automatically learn its properties and command words in the first round of the spell (no Spellcraft roll needed), but you can’t automatically determine whether it’s cursed.

One can charge across even a crowded battlefield like a juggernaut:

Burst Through (Ex)

When you charge, you can move through allies and opponents almost as if they were not there to obstruct your path. You can move through squares containing allies freely, but you must succeed at an overrun combat maneuver check for each opponent that obstructs your path to the target of your charge.

If the result of the check exceeds the opponent’s CMD, you may move through the opponent’s square and continue toward the target without provoking an attack of opportunity from that opponent. If you fail any of these combat maneuver checks, your movement ends in the square before that opponent, but you may resolve the charge attack against the foe that stopped you.

And one can slip out of magical restraints and even escape paralysis:

Master of Escape (Su)

You can use the Escape Artist skill to break free from spells and magical effects that limit your movement or actions. While you’re subject to a spell or effect that gives you the entangled, grappled, paralyzed, pinned, staggered, or stunned condition, once per round as a free action, you can attempt an Escape Artist check to end the condition. The DC for this check is equal to the save DC of the spell or effect that caused the condition. If you succeed, you end one such condition on yourself (your choice), though this doesn’t make you immune to similar effects from the same source (such as moving through black tentacles or web). If the spell or effect doesn’t allow a saving throw, you can’t use this ability to overcome it.

You would only need to come up with some scaling resource to represent tier and mythic pool for the powers that require those numbers. Say for example that their "tier" = 1/4 their HD.

Wow i think these are exactly what i was looking for. Thanks!

Uncle Pine
2017-05-05, 03:01 AM
Being able to equip and use any magic item regardless of its type or source sounds a lot like having ranks in Use Magic Device (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm) to me. If you want to hand this sort of "talents" for free you might want to hand out slotless items that can provide a varying amount of benefits, balancing them between the various players so that one's talent isn't extremely overpowered or pricy compared to another's.
For example, a slotless items that gives a +X competence bonus to UMD checks would be worth bonus squared × 200 gp. A +7/+10 UMD slotless item would cost 9,800/20,000 gp, so you could have an extremely proficient character in this field just by handing out such an item for free to him. Or you could build an Artificer, Factotum, Rogue or any other class with UMD as a class skill.