PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Theory!!! (Important to D&D players)

wingover gimble
2007-08-01, 12:29 AM
Ok listen to this. You know when you are driving a car and an annoying fly somes out of no where and comews into the car and finally you go fiftey miles on and finally shoe it out of the window. Wtf does the fly think? Is he like " Holy $hit! its going to take us 4 generations to get back!!" Or is it " Were the Fu k are we? Uhh so do i get into another car or what?" This is importantn to D&D players becuase Im a D&D player and my DM thought of this and i need answers becuase i thought this very funny.

Damionte
2007-08-01, 12:41 AM
Dude go to bed. It's obviously very late where ever you are.

wingover gimble
2007-08-01, 12:49 AM
What!? its only 12 A.M! I usually stay up till around 2 then go to sleep. But this theory is a s true as the theory of the cat and buttered bread theory that can twist reality. ever hear it?

Collin152
2007-08-01, 12:53 AM
Ok listen to this. You know when you are driving a car and an annoying fly somes out of no where and comews into the car and finally you go fiftey miles on and finally shoe it out of the window. Wtf does the fly think? Is he like " Holy $hit! its going to take us 4 generations to get back!!" Or is it " Were the Fu k are we? Uhh so do i get into another car or what?" This is importantn to D&D players becuase Im a D&D player and my DM thought of this and i need answers becuase i thought this very funny.

Dude, whatever your on, it can't be legal outside of Canada.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-01, 12:56 AM
I don't think even thinking like this is legal outside of Canada :P

Fhaolan
2007-08-01, 12:56 AM
Dude, whatever your on, it can't be legal outside of Canada.

I'm from Canada, and I think I can say that whatever it is, it's not legal in Canada either...

tannish2
2007-08-01, 12:58 AM
flys do not exist, reality is subjective, but only because it isnt actually real, so flys do not think, because they dont exist, do i need to be any more redundant than i already am here?

The_Werebear
2007-08-01, 12:58 AM
First, I suggest Detox.

Second, I suggest, in response to what I think you are trying to ask, that flies probably don't care either way, seeing as they are freaking insects.

wingover gimble
2007-08-01, 01:13 AM
Well im sorry to say that im not on anything but it probably is legal here in canada, yes im canadian. How do we definetly know that flies truly exist or not? science so far cant show us everything so we are in the dark about alot of things. Im saying what if they did have minds but i guess all you people are way to anail retentive to get anything so i guess thats that.

Collin152
2007-08-01, 01:17 AM
Unfortunatley, the matter of what resides within the thoughts of other creatures is beyond anyones ability to determine. In fact, it is imposible to determine whether or not anyone other then myself actually exist, and that I am not infact creating all of you within my own head. Whos to say reality is not but how I expect it to be? After all, such would mearly be a way to force myself further within my own illusion, possibly from a coma of sorts.

wingover gimble
2007-08-01, 01:21 AM
Havent we all thought of that at one time in our lives. I say it is a ****ing sweet coma then becuase i get to play D&d 1ce or twice a week in town with my freinds. Have you heard of the cat and buttered bread theory?

TSGames
2007-08-01, 01:21 AM
Well im sorry to say that im not on anything but it probably is legal here in canada, yes im canadian. How do we definetly know that flies truly exist or not? science so far cant show us everything so we are in the dark about alot of things. Im saying what if they did have minds but i guess all you people are way to anail retentive to get anything so i guess thats that.

Actually, I think it has more to do with your presentation than any tendencies of this board...

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-01, 01:24 AM
I don't know, guy makes sense to me.

wingover gimble
2007-08-01, 01:28 AM
Thank you very much, i think it makes sense to me too. D&D players sometimes have some stupid humor or even sick humor hehehehehe i got some that would getme banned believe me. Well its around 1:26 here and looks like im going to have to read my harry dresdien books becuase they kick harry potter books out the window ( no offense to you potter fans out there, seriously.) well have a good one i'll be on for like ten more minutes but after theat see you tommorow.

skywalker
2007-08-01, 01:33 AM
Yeah, I think the main problem most people have with this is that it's been posted on the d20 boards, as opposed to friendly banter or one of the other places more friendly to random silliness.

We are pretty anal retentive around here about posting in the right place.

Sorry.

Bender
2007-08-01, 01:33 AM
flies don't have a central nervous system, no sense of self, no emotions or consciousness. Therefore, they are unable to think those questions, or any other question whatsoever. It's unable to even try to consider how to handle the situation and will just find the nearest pile of **** to drop eggs in.

I have absolutely no clue what this has to do with d&d though:smallconfused:

Seffbasilisk
2007-08-01, 01:44 AM
I know WHATEVER it is, chances are it ain't legal in the states. Dude, I suggest some sleep, and definitly detox. Cold shower and a cup of coffee to help as well.

Demented
2007-08-01, 01:59 AM
flies don't have a central nervous system, no sense of self, no emotions or consciousness. Therefore, they are unable to think those questions, or any other question whatsoever. It's unable to even try to consider how to handle the situation and will just find the nearest pile of **** to drop eggs in.

I dare say they have a consciousness.
Enough, at least, to think, "Weee, barrel roll! Barrel roll? Barrel roll! Fast, fast, fast... I'm hungry."

Greenfaun
2007-08-01, 02:01 AM
What I hoped this thread was about:

GILES
I've got a theory
That it's a demon
A dancing demon
Nuh, something isn't right there

WILLOW
I've got a theory
Some kid is dreaming
And we're all stuck inside
His wacky Broadway nightmare

XANDER
I've got a theory
We should work this out

ALL
It's getting eerie
What's this cheery
Singing all about?

.... but anyway.

As for the OP, I don't think flies have an internal model of the world like you seem to expect. They just respond to stimuli. The fly will be flying away from large moving objects and towards things that smell like food wherever it is, and that's about as complicated as it'll probably get.

Solo
2007-08-01, 02:25 AM
So what's the theory, and how is it important to DnD players?

Bender
2007-08-01, 02:36 AM
I dare say they have a consciousness.
Enough, at least, to think, "Weee, barrel roll! Barrel roll? Barrel roll! Fast, fast, fast... I'm hungry."

The concept of 'I' in 'I'm hungry' already requires quite a high level of consciousness. Although primates and dolphins probably get there, it's disputable whether other mammals are capable of conceiving it, let alone animals not belonging to the vertebrates.

honestly, I don't even know whether this is relevant for this thread or not

squishycube
2007-08-01, 02:41 AM
I also have a theory:
The use of multiple exclamation marks is a sure sign of a diseased mind.
It certainly holds true in this case.
(Theory coined by T. Pratchett.)

Seffbasilisk
2007-08-01, 03:00 AM
I also have a theory:
The use of multiple exclamation marks is a sure sign of a diseased mind.
It certainly holds true in this case.
(Theory coined by T. Pratchett.)

"HaHaHaHaHa!!!!!"

Rachel Lorelei
2007-08-01, 03:46 AM

[Buffy!]

... ... ...*HUG*

daggaz
2007-08-01, 04:18 AM
Yeah... I'm with Solo on this one... WTF is your theory already?

It's bad enough that you post this on the wrong forum, and while probably under the influence of drugs, sleep deprivation, or both, but to endlessly ramble under a misleading title?

Do you realize that a theory implies some kind of causual relationship or explanation? Ie... flies zip into your car and get wierded out and THEREFOR.....etc, etc, etc. And in this case, this therefor should really have some kind of bearing on DnD as well.

Otherwise, can we please just delete this thread or have it moved?

Ethdred
2007-08-01, 07:30 AM

.... but anyway.

As for the OP, I don't think flies have an internal model of the world like you seem to expect. They just respond to stimuli. The fly will be flying away from large moving objects and towards things that smell like food wherever it is, and that's about as complicated as it'll probably get.

Pah! I was expecting the Pythonesque 'The theory that I have, the theory that is mine'. Maybe I'm showing my age...

But bonus points for the Buffy quote anyway

Koji
2007-08-01, 07:53 AM
Well what kind of fly are we talking about, here?

psychoticbarber
2007-08-01, 07:57 AM
Well what kind of fly are we talking about, here?

African, or European?

Swooper
2007-08-01, 08:21 AM
*Casts Summon Moderator*

Really, this should be.. somewhere else. I'm thinking Limbo maybe?

Bender
2007-08-01, 08:35 AM
my theory is that there's an allip around, babbling nonsense and rapidly draining our wisdom, so we would post on this thread... :smalleek:

Dragonmuncher
2007-08-01, 08:49 AM
There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.
I don't know why
She swallowed the fly.
I guess she'll die.

Just think how THAT fly felt...

Also: Apricots! Mitosis! Volleyball!

Drider
2007-08-01, 08:52 AM
I want to hear the theory with the cat and bread theory, I have NO idea what it is. Wow and Amaze me. But i feel like i was reading all the posts AFTER the OP more than the OP itself because of weird grammer.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-01, 09:36 AM
I believe that this is a question about the nature of consciousness, specifically how it relates to flies. It relates to how consciousness applies to various creatures, despite their size, and is thereby applicable to D&D in asking what 1 intelligence means, or what - intelligence means.

The phrases used make for a rather humorous view, even if somewhat inaccurate.

So: Is the feebleminded barbarian self-aware? etc.

Roland St. Jude
2007-08-01, 09:48 AM
Wait...what? Reminds me of...

Waiter, there is a fly in my soup ?
Don't worry sir that spider on your bread will soon get him !

Waiter, what's this fly doing in my soup?
Um, looks to me to be backstroke, sir...

Waiter, there is a fly in the butter !
Yes sir, it's a butterfly!

Waiter, there is a fly in my soup !
Don't worry sir, they don't eat much !

Waiter, there is a dead fly swimming in my soup !
Don't be silly, dead flies can't swim !

Waiter, there's a fly in my soup!
Surely not, sir. It must be one of those vitamin bees you hear so much about.

Don't worry sir, there is no extra charge.

Waiter, waiter! There's a fly in my soup! Send for the manager!
It's no good, sir, he's frightened of them, too.

Waiter, there is a fly in my soup!
Yes sir, he's committed insecticide.

Just you wait until you see the main course!

Couldn't be, sir. The cook used them all in the raisin bread.

Waiter, what is this fly doing on my ice cream sundae?
Skiing, sir!

Waiter, there is a small fly in my soup
I'm sorry sir, would you like me to get you a bigger one?

No sir, that's a cockroach, the fly is on your steak.

Waiter, there is a dead fly in my soup!
Yes sir, it's the heat that kills them!

Waiter, there is a beetle in my soup!
Sorry sir, we're out of flies today!

So that's where they go in winter!

Sorry madam, no pets allowed!

Keep it down sir, or they'll all be wanting one.

Waiter, there is a fly drowning in my soup!
It hardly looks deep enough to drown in sir.

Force of habit, sir. Our chef used to be a tailor.

I know, but unfortunately we are out of turtle.

Sorry sir, maybe I've forgotten it when I removed the other three.

Waiter, there's a fly swimming in my soup!
Then we've served you too much soup, the fly should be wading.

No its not, it's a piece of dirt that looks like one!

Waiter, there are two flies in my soup!
That's alright sir, have the extra one on me!

Oh no, who will look after his family!

Waiter, what's this fly doing in my soup?
It's fly soup sir!

Yes, it's the rotting meat that attracts them!

Waiter, waiter, there's a bee in my soup.
Yes Sir, it's the fly's day off.

I'll fetch him a spoon sir!

Yes sir, that's the manager, the last customer was a witch doctor!

Waiter, there is a fly in my salad!
I'm sorry sir, I didn't realise you where a vegetarian!

Sheriff of Moddingham: Nevertheless, this isn't really a gaming topic (or much of a topic at all really). Thread closed.