PDA

View Full Version : Oversized spiked gauntlets?

noob
2017-05-04, 08:26 AM
What would happen to someone trying to use oversized spiked gauntlets?

Necroticplague
2017-05-04, 08:37 AM
It would work as normal, but they'd take a -2 penalty for using an inappropriately sized weapon.

noob
2017-05-04, 08:39 AM
Could I power attack more efficiently with it?
Do I apply more times my strength modifier?
Could I also use a two handed weapon while having two oversized spiked gauntlets on my hands?

Necroticplague
2017-05-04, 08:53 AM
Could I power attack more efficiently with it?
Yes. An oversized weapon has it's effort move up by one, so a Spiked Guantlet (normally a light weapon), becomes a one-handed weapon. Thus, you can now PA with it.

Could I also use a two handed weapon while having two oversized spiked gauntlets on my hands?
No. I'm not seeing anything that would allow one to to wield a spiked gauntlet an a weapon in the same hand.

noob
2017-05-04, 09:04 AM
I did a mistake in believing spiked gauntlets did let you use other weapons at the same time.
I guess it still means that Claws of the Leopard are cool weapons to get as oversized weapons.(it also means that you gain nothing from using non oversized versions except for the +2 to attack throws)

Tohsaka Rin
2017-05-04, 09:07 AM
If you're just wanting straight-up damage from punching, getting Mighty Wallop cast on you might be a better way of going about it.

noob
2017-05-04, 09:12 AM
If you're just wanting straight-up damage from punching, getting Mighty Wallop cast on you might be a better way of going about it.

Except you do not get a pounce.(somehow the gm I got wants to restrain pounce access a lot so he forbid the barbarian to get pounce at level 1)
Furthermore you do not get extra power attack damage nor extra strength modifier damage.

Necroticplague
2017-05-04, 09:42 AM
I did a mistake in believing spiked gauntlets did let you use other weapons at the same time.
I guess it still means that Claws of the Leopard are cool weapons to get as oversized weapons.(it also means that you gain nothing from using non oversized versions except for the +2 to attack throws)

1. Averagve damage is chance to hit*damage. Using an oversized weapon can have a negative effect on this, because the damage increase is very small , while a -2 can be considerable on a d20. In this example going from a Medium to Large is only a +1 damage (from 2.5->3.5), while your chance to hit is cut by 10%*.
2. Also, becoming one-handed means it's harder to use in some contexts, like dual-wielding.

*=depending on how you measure your to-hit chance change. I know some measure in absolute terms, while some measure in relative terms. relative is more statistically accurate and useful, but requires knowing a theoretical AC against to target, while absolute doesn't.

noob
2017-05-04, 09:46 AM
1. Averagve damage is chance to hit*damage. Using an oversized weapon can have a negative effect on this, because the damage increase is very small , while a -2 can be considerable on a d20. In this example going from a Medium to Large is only a +1 damage (from 2.5->3.5), while your chance to hit is cut by 10%*.
2. Also, becoming one-handed means it's harder to use in some contexts, like dual-wielding.

*=depending on how you measure your to-hit chance change. I know some measure in absolute terms, while some measure in relative terms. relative is more statistically accurate and useful, but requires knowing a theoretical AC against to target, while absolute doesn't.

Except that I add one additional half of my strength modifier and can power attack.
It is mostly better if you are a full bba strength based character above level 10.
Most opponent we face have low ac(the creature we met that had the most ac had 38)
Yes when you are not 130% sure to hit then the lower to hit is negative but else it is not really a problem.

weckar
2017-05-04, 09:58 AM
Except you do not get a pounce.(somehow the gm I got wants to restrain pounce access a lot so he forbid the barbarian to get pounce at level 1)You'd only get it at level 3 anyway.

Deadline
2017-05-04, 12:56 PM

Magic items often resize to fit the wearer, so make sure your DM is on board with this being oversized.

As others have pointed out, using a spiked gauntlet that is for someone one size category larger provides the following drawbacks/advantages:

1. -2 penalty (cumulative per size category difference) to your attacks for using an inappropriately sized weapon.
2. Normally a spiked gauntlet is a light weapon, so you can't power attack at all. For each size category of difference, the effort to use the weapon increases. So a Large Spiked gauntlet is a one-handed weapon for a medium creature. That means said medium creature can do the usual 1 for 1 power attack with it (or 2 for 1 if using two hands to wield the one weapon). A huge spiked gauntlet is a two-handed weapon for a medium creature, and they'll get the usual 2 for 1 power attack that goes with two handed weapons.
3. You add your strength bonus to damage from Light weapons, or one-handed weapons. You add 1.5 * your strength bonus to damage from two-handed weapons, or to one-handed weapons that you use two hands to wield.
4. When you increase the size category of a weapon, it's damage die size increases.

So for a Large Spiked Gauntlet used by a medium character, you'd have the following:
-2 to hit (oversized penalty)
Increased damage die (1d6 instead of 1d4)
As it is a one-handed weapon, you can power attack with it (1 for 1)
As a one-handed weapon, you add your Strength bonus to your damage rolls

If you choose to wield a single Large Spiked Gauntlet with both hands, you'd have the following:
-2 to hit (oversized penalty)
Increased damage die (1d6 instead of 1d4)
As a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, you can power attack with it (2 for 1)
As a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, you add 1.5 * your Strength bonus to your damage rolls

Tohsaka Rin
2017-05-04, 01:23 PM
I think Powerful Build will mitigate a lot of these problems.

But not the power attack issue, I think.

Deadline
2017-05-04, 05:23 PM
I think Powerful Build will mitigate a lot of these problems.

But not the power attack issue, I think.

Right, Powerful build lets you wield a Large Spiked Gauntlet as if you were Large. Which means you don't suffer the -2 penalty, but you also treat it as a light weapon, so can't power attack with it.

Rebel7284
2017-05-04, 07:26 PM
Battlefist?

Requires being a warforged, or possibly a good UMD check, but is actually good.

Ellrin
2017-05-05, 12:33 AM
So this all has got me thinking, how ineffective would it be to optimize a build around two-handing a Huge spiked gauntlet?

torrasque666
2017-05-05, 12:54 AM
Battlefist?

Requires being a warforged, or possibly a good UMD check, but is actually good.

Or a Mighty Arms graft.