PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with fixing sorcerer Draconic Bloodline feat

sage20500
2017-05-04, 10:24 AM
Getting ready to start a game with a level 1 sorcerer, and I was originally taking the anarchic bloodline feat in order to get some decent bonus spells known for my character. When I showed the finished sheet to my DM though, he looked up the feat and was annoyed by the fact that almost none of the bloodline feats have anything to do with the spells they grant (anarchic spells granted are not chaotic at all, the fire bloodline just completely sucks etc,) so he's allowing me to take the Dragon Bloodline feat on the condition that I can give it a spells list that is thematic with dragons.

So far all I've gotten was

1. Hoard Gullet (Dragon Magic)
2. Scale Weakening? (Possibly?) (Draconomicon)
3. Dragonskin (Draconomicon)
4. Flaming Corrosion or Coldscream? (Book of Eldritch Might 1, can be played off as a breath attack)
5. Draconic Might or Flight of the Dragon maybe? (Draconomicon)
6. TBD
7. TBD
8. TBD
9. TBD

So yeah, that's what I currently got so far, need to try and narrow this down so that its a thematic Dragonish spell selection, any suggestions for what to use for later levels, or suggestions to replace earlier spells?

Zancloufer
2017-05-04, 11:22 AM
They 5th/7th/9th level Dragon Ally spells might be neat. IIRC they are essentially Planar Ally but 9/18/27HD of Dragons instead of 6/12/18 HD of outsiders. Still need a 6th and 8th level spells but sorcerers with a relation to dragons being able to summon them is pretty cool.

sage20500
2017-05-04, 11:59 AM
They 5th/7th/9th level Dragon Ally spells might be neat. IIRC they are essentially Planar Ally but 9/18/27HD of Dragons instead of 6/12/18 HD of outsiders. Still need a 6th and 8th level spells but sorcerers with a relation to dragons being able to summon them is pretty cool.

Does Dragon Ally require both xp and a gold per HD of dragon summoned to use? First time giving sorcerer a shot so I'm not sure how I should approach spells that are either expensive to cast or cost experience to cast

ZamielVanWeber
2017-05-04, 02:07 PM

As an fyi those numbers were all changed in Spell Compendium. Lesser is 15 and greater is 22 and I forget the normal. They do have exp and gold costs but they are trivial. A task requiring one minute per caster level costs a whopping 50 gp per HD and greater's exp is 500 exp which is practically a clerical error at that point. Tip: tome and hex dragons have very high casters levels for their HD and both have 2 schools of magic automatically known so are great to pull off of these spells.

Edit: Dragon Ally remains unchanged at 18, but all 3 spells now get +1 CL from being a sorcerer so the first two are amazing choices.

Telonius
2017-05-04, 02:31 PM
6 - Aura of Terror. SpC page 18, emulates Frightful Presence and mentions dragons in the description

ATHATH
2017-05-04, 02:36 PM
Death Dragon is pretty cool (especially with the Mastery of Day and Night feat, which automatically Maximizes all of your Cure and Inflict spells for free), but it's not actually all that good (especially if you've "wasted" a feat on Mastery of Day and Night so that you could combo it with Death Dragon). The Dread Witch PrC might combo well with the at-will Fear ability, though. Also, it's a Cleric spell, not a Sorcerer spell, IIRC. Still, you might be interested in it.

Zancloufer
2017-05-04, 02:36 PM
Spell Compendium does have the HD cap reduced to 15/18/22. It also did half the gold cost though so there is that. Became A LOT more affordable to hire a Dragon for a week or two. Also the EXP cost is a static 100/250/500 no matter how long you hire it for.

Yes it is pricey, but at most you are looking at 5500 GP to hire a 22 HD dragon for CL days. Also worth noting that Sorcerers get to cast this spell at +1 CL so you get even more duration for the cost of the spell. 18+ days of having a Dragon as a minion isn't that bad. Even the most bog standard dragons are probably better than the party fighter at the higher levels.

Failing that I heard that Dominate Monster is a spell with days/CL duration. Just be sure to summon Dragons you don't like and tell them to go dive into a volcano or something before their time is done.

sage20500
2017-05-04, 09:34 PM
so I think I figured out a final list, I started looking up true dragons to see what spell like abilities they picked up later on, came up with this:

1. Hoard Gullet (Dragon Magic)
2. Scale Weakening? (Possibly?) (Draconomicon)
3. Dragonskin (Draconomicon)
4. Flaming Corrosion or Coldscream? (Book of Eldritch Might 1, can be played off as a breath attack)
5. Draconic Might or Flight of the Dragon maybe? (Draconomicon)
6. Acid Fog (Figured a green or black dragon would pick this up if given the option)
7. Reverse Gravity (Silver)
8. Sunburst (Gold)
9. Dominate Monster?

ATHATH
2017-05-05, 10:22 AM

I've never heard of that book- I'm pretty sure that it isn't a first-party source.

Dagroth
2017-05-05, 11:51 AM
Wings of Cover? Other "Wings of" spells?