PDA

View Full Version : Wings for the favored soul. Yay or nay?

Corran
2017-05-04, 10:26 AM
Ok, this is a silly thread, but I wanted to catch the general vibe around here, regarding this.

Do you think that getting wings is an absolutely must-have feature for the favored soul archtype, or could you live without it?

A simple yes or no answer will do, but if you want to explain your line of thinking and base it on the pre-existing history/lore of this archtype, please feel free to do so.

I am not sure why (and I am hoping that some answers will help me understand the reason / though I expect the majority of the answers to support that wings are a very cool option), but for some reason I am actually not very fond of wings on favored soul. I guess I would prefer this divine spark to show in more discrete (or rather, not too obvious) ways. For example, I am quite fond of the fluff of the feature that bestows the wings, which says that upon that level (ie 14), the favored soul undergoes a supernatural transformation of sorts, that makes their appearance take on one quality from: youthful (my favourite), kind, beautiful or imposing. The wings are just.... too obvious? Too much of an easy way out? I guess I am also afraid of features granting wings growing a bit more common, and that would just take away from the uniqueness such features were meant to bestow, imo. Perhaps wings are totally in line with the flavour of the FS, but I am still of the opinion that there should be some other way for this divine spark to show. Perhaps I am just being negative about it for no serious reason... What I am more interested is in your thoughts about this, and about catching the general feeling of the community about how much they like it or not.

DivisibleByZero
2017-05-04, 10:36 AM
The first iteration of FS that Rodney did in the Class Design Variants UA was my favorite version. Mainly because everything that came after, while they do indeed emulate a divine sorcerer, do not look anything like what a FS has traditionally and iconically been.
Basically, the two newer versions need to be called something else, and not Favored Soul.
Wings or no wings, that's my take on it.

MrStabby
2017-05-04, 10:54 AM
Wings are not needed.

The recent UA favoured soul is actually one of my favourite new classes - both powerful and fun without being overpowered. Have fun with it!

sightlessrealit
2017-05-04, 11:07 AM
I'd say wings are a yeah.

mephnick
2017-05-04, 11:11 AM
I think a favoured soul needs wings. It also needs other things that make it a favoured soul, all of which are missing. I agree with zero, it needs to be called something else or they need to find a way to give armour etc back.