PDA

View Full Version : Awesome DM and Player stories

DrKosmosis
2017-05-04, 11:32 AM
All too often I'll see threads if people sharing stories of their most cringey DMs and player horror stories. While these are entertaining I feel like it paints a very poor picture of what roleplaying games can be. I also often see threads of funny stories which while their more positive than the alternative, doesnt show the awesome story telling and epic moments roleplaying games can produce.

And so I shall dedicate this thread to the stories that exist as legends at your gaming table. This is for stories of legendary GMs who crafted interesting and engrossing stories, designed awesome encounters, and introduced funny/awesome/intriguing npcs. This is for stories about the players who roleplayed their hearts out to broadway level effect, expertly planned and coordinated a plan that yeilded amazing results, and was able to take out a whole room of enemies entirely on their own ability.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I had been playing a 5e campaign with a group of people online for a few months at this point and this was about our 5th session. Due to life complications our barbarian could no longer play with us so our DM decided to give her the send off she deserved.

After waking up captured in a cave after the defeat we suffered last session, me and our bard discovered we were separated from the barbarian. After making an escape and adventuring through the caves, we eventually found a particular cave room with skeletons lying in piles. In the center we saw our barbarian, being subjected to waves of skeletons for the amusement of a group of goblins, which she was cutting down one by one. After dealing with the goblins we rushed to the aid of the barbarian but unfortunately we were too late. Surrounded by the bodies of dozens of slain foes, our barbarian layed dying from a mortal stab wound.

After some great and pretty heart wrenching role-playing from our DM our barbarian passed into the great beyond, leaving us with sorrow but also the fire of inspiration to achieve vengeance for her death.

Not only did this encounter give the barbarian the send off her character deserved, but it gave our characters and us as players the drive to actually want to stop the big bad that caused this. It was a moment I'll always remember